First board shaped

smac12's picture
smac12 started the topic in Thursday, 12 Nov 2015 at 8:15pm

Just finished shaping my first board designed, shaped and glassed from scratch in the garage much to the annoyance of my housemates over the past month:

6'0 x pretty wide x too fucking thick! Single / quad, single to double concave, laminated with Sanded's nylon-basalt 4oz fibreglass hybrid cloth + 6oz fibre & jute reinforcement on the deck and glassed with their surfset epoxy resin. Gearbox fin plugs for the quads and Shaper's for the single box.

Fair few rough patches and some hiccups along the way as to be expected but all in all really stoked with how it came out!
Now just need a few decent days down here to get her in the water!

smac12's picture
smac12's picture
smac12 Thursday, 12 Nov 2015 at 8:28pm

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 12 Nov 2015 at 8:32pm

Good on ya for having a go
Where did you get that planshape from ?

smac12's picture
smac12's picture
smac12 Thursday, 12 Nov 2015 at 8:45pm

Cheers mate, nabbed a few basic measurements from around the net, made a bunch of to scale drawings till I got something I liked the look of, then scaled up to size on cardboard for the template.
Have gained much respect for anyone shaping for a living in the process of making this!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 12 Nov 2015 at 8:51pm

Nothing wrong with laying a board with the shape you like on the blank line up the stringers trace around add some adjustments if you wish...wider tail or whatever then cut out the outline.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Saturday, 14 Nov 2015 at 1:47am

Onya smack12 ... have ya got the bug now?

Template options:

1. AKU Shaper - free version is still available at http://www.akushaper.com/ just look for the " akushaper.jnlp" version link on the download page ;) ... Design in the software what you want and then you can print full size templates over a series of A4 pages on any printer (software puts in line up marks to join the pages) and then you can cut copy onto your blank. If you get serious, look into the paid version and get the board machine cut. For $30 for a machine cut, and then a hour hour finishing off the blank once cut, you'll get to fine tune your designs really quickly, with maximum use of your time.

2. Try here: http://www.blendingcurves.com/ there are several options under various styles of surfboards all free to download.

Good Luck.

smac12's picture
smac12's picture
smac12 Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 7:19pm

Thanks for the tips guys! Yeah doing that for the one I'm currently shaping udo, using a couple boards to template out a standard shortie for the lil bros xmas pressie. I'll have a suss of those sites as well wingnut cheers mate!