Ding repair school

SeanSpruhan's picture
SeanSpruhan started the topic in Sunday, 13 Jul 2014 at 5:07pm

Gday guys,

Apologies if its been brought up and I haven't found the topic in my search, but, I'm looking to gain the skill of ding repair. I live in the Dandenongs currently, 40ks east of Melbourne. Always dinging boards (because lets face it, it's not as fun unless your dodging rocks) and figure I need to acquire the skills. At the moment I've got 5 boards in need of minor repairs, 1 major that needs 2 futures fin box replacements.

Does anyone know of anyone one on the east coast who runs a course? Will travel west, but ideally Peninsula/Island.
Or any old school blokes willing to take a few bucks off my hand and pass on some wisdom?

Cheers boys,

Sean

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 14 Jul 2014 at 6:31am

Great idea Sean, we'll sniff around to see if we can find anything.

pilgrimfox's picture
pilgrimfox's picture
pilgrimfox Monday, 14 Jul 2014 at 1:55pm

You could try "The Surfboard Studio" at Zak Surfboards in Thornbury. I know they run a make your own surfboard class so maybe they do a repairs course.

SeanSpruhan's picture
SeanSpruhan's picture
SeanSpruhan Monday, 14 Jul 2014 at 9:12pm

cheers guys, I've watched countless videos to try and figure it out. But nothing is the same as someone passing on their knowledge directly and getting your hands into it. I'll give zaks a buzz and see what they offer.

SeanSpruhan's picture
SeanSpruhan's picture
SeanSpruhan Monday, 14 Jul 2014 at 9:17pm

Pilgrimfox, I just checked out the site on the surfboard studio. Seems like something else I gotta do. I've shaped a board, got another bloke to glass it. Is it something you've done? Reckon I could do with a little more knowledge.

pilgrimfox's picture
pilgrimfox's picture
pilgrimfox Monday, 14 Jul 2014 at 11:14pm

No I haven't done this course, I'm keen to have a go at shaping my own boards when I get a chance but right now I am time poor so will keep my spare hours saved for surfing boards that work. The Zak course looks ok and the use of the shaping bays sounds like a good deal if you are in Melbourne. If there was a similar deal down on the surfcoast I would be better placed to fit it in.