Billabong Rio Pro

donweather's picture
donweather started the topic in Tuesday, 17 May 2011 at 5:12am

Is this event actually going to kick off anytime soon? Looking at the forecast I would think it should kick off today their time and run for the remaining 4 days, but it doesn't look like it's gonna be epic or anything.

The billabong event website is useless for providing any info on a likely start date or what the forecast is looking like.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 17 May 2011 at 5:35am

Yeah, the website is a bit deficient, eh? At least tell us what the local time is in Rio so we can figure out when the next call is.

Think Steve also said they're gonna get a bit of swell to end it on so they may get lucky. I'm sure the people of Brazil are very excited about the comp - I mean, what aren't they excited about? - but the rest of the surfing world seems a bit underwhelmed.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 17 May 2011 at 5:56am

That little cut-off low which ruined today(yesterday) for 'em was a real spanner in the works.

Looks weak now for the rest of the period.

lolo's picture
lolo's picture
lolo Tuesday, 17 May 2011 at 8:57am

Meanwhile Fiji where the Dream Tour used to be in May is off the fucking hook!

/sigh

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 17 May 2011 at 9:03pm

Couldn't watch for more that thirty seconds last night. It was hurting my eyes.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 18 May 2011 at 11:06pm

So does anyone know if they ran the men's last night? Website isn't updated from the womens event. This is an ASP WCT event run by a large surfnig company, yeah?? :(

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 19 May 2011 at 1:20am

Yeah, they did Don: www.swellnet.com.au/news/2303-billabong-rio-pro-day-two-photos

The surf wasn't any better than Round One...

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Thursday, 19 May 2011 at 1:57pm

Round 3 is even worse....reminds me of the Billabong Pro - Bakio (err Mundaka)

moobat-ma-bathy's picture
moobat-ma-bathy's picture
moobat-ma-bathy Friday, 20 May 2011 at 2:03am

Whats happening too the tour,Brazil is no dream.The waves have been poor 2ft closeouts,the judging has been shocking and its the only event that i've switched off due too pure bordem.Good for advertising for billabong,Bad for the rest of the world and the elite surfers that have too put up surfing this shit at such an important time on the tour.Bring back Fiji

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 20 May 2011 at 2:18am

Question now is with Slater knocked out early and Joel possibly taking the #1 rankings depending on where he finishes in this event, will Slater be talking about another rebel tour again?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 20 May 2011 at 2:24am

Christ, I hope so.

The whole Indo-Pacific southern Hemi has been off the hook this month and here we are groveling in Rio closeouts.

Surely anyone with a modicum of vision could see the opportunity this presents.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 20 May 2011 at 3:08am

Steve, with NY and San Fran still to come this year, I wouldn't be criticising Rio at present!! ;)

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Friday, 20 May 2011 at 4:45am

Can't remember the last time I saw 9's given for 2 rio's into a closeout (excuse the pun).

smeeagain's picture
smeeagain's picture
smeeagain Friday, 20 May 2011 at 9:50pm

What a farce! I tried to log on to watch a couple of times, to see if the surf would be as fucked as I thought it would, but couldn't. Then I got see heavily edited highlights from which I couldn't work out how the heat winner won let alone get a score above 4 in such shit surf.
Oh and Adriano won. In his words "AMASING".
With NY and San Fran still to come just give him the world title, spare us the bullshit, send Joel, Mick, Kelly, Jordy etc to the Mentawi's and send back live footage of that.
At least it would be worth watching and indicative of the current state of surfing.

more's picture
more's picture
more Saturday, 21 May 2011 at 8:41am

most inconsistent and un-understandable judging from heat to heat I have ever seen....
really needs to be fucking looked at, seriously.....surfing is supposed to be impressing tv viewers world wide, not confusing them and turning them away...DISMAL JUDGING.....