Submitted by brownie48 on Mon, 09/21/2015 - 15:27
Yes I am heading over from the 28th to 8 October and would like some detail. I can work out things ok on the east coast of oz here to a reasonable degree but nothing as detailed as what a lot of you can do
Been scouring a number of sites trying to form a view as to what it might be like but am lacking a bit in trying to find charts, synoptics and stuff a week or so ahead
Been to ncp noaa, buoyweather, stormsurfers and a bunch of others that I cant seem to work out what it will be like to any degree of certainty
It looks like a big fat high might be sitting over sw wa which with the look of the fetch could produce 4ft or so of surf starting on or around Sunday 27 Sept but aint to sure
Preferably learning it is better than just getting a forecast but I know some don't like to share their info and that's fair if you could help with just a forecast then sweet
The dilemma I have is I have 2 new boards, one I surfed today in small waves and it went ok and the other a good wave board and as I can only take 2 boards I want to choose wisely
Ben - maybe if a $5 or $10 fee was charged for a forecast request and the money either went to the forecaster, surfaid, waves for water etc it might be a good thing?
If you have reads this far I am impressed, thanks for considering
Rest assured I have worked it out, board dilemma solved and some new knowledge gained on forecasting!
Hmmm, a very quick look; Maybe head high waves in Male on the 27th but trending down thereafter. Not much after that at this stage. Looks like you might be relying on residual SSW swell, which is less than ideal, so the magnets up north would be the go.
Don, is the man though. See what he says.
Thanks Carpetman it confirms what I was looking at. Small and what looks like hopefully good winds so it can spread the crowd out a bit
Sorry Brownie only just saw this. Carpet man pretty close. Swell peaking tomorrow around the 3-4ft class and slowly waning back to around 2-3ft for most of the remaining time. How long you there for? Could be some solid S'ly swell coming around Sat 3rd Oct and beyond.
Thanks Don, yeah there till the 6th so at least its not flat in the early part. Winds look good too!
Heading over to the Maldives on 16th October, staying at Kandooma
Don, what's your predictions?
Thanks in anticipation
B53, unfortunately it's not looking great. Kandooma (as I understand it) relies on the swell being SE in direction. There's only a small S/SE swell forecast from 16th onwards at this stage.....I'd say 2-3ft tops (more so around 19th/20th)....but it is still sometime away, so fingers crossed for you the forecast changes between now and then.
BTW - There's a good looking SW groundswell forecast to hit up there around 15th/16th, but as I understand it, this swell direction just doesn't get into Kandooma?
Maybe we can revisit this next week before I go
And if it's small at Kandooma maybe you can recommend breaks more exposed to any forcast swells
I believe Kandooma will take you by boats to other breaks
B53. I'll be honest mate. I do t know the kandooma area atolls that well at all.
But more than happy to revisit the forecast closer to the time.
Hey Bodge, there are two other breaks a short boat ride from Kandooma. A nice fast left, foxy's, and a shifty sometimes wedgey right across the channel, riptides. But they work on a similar swell direction to Kandooma. The SW swell won't show at all on that side and any thing with too much south is blocked by Laamu attol to the south. If you do score it it won't be very crowded from my experience. Good luck all three are good fun waves although I've never surfed Kandooma, not allowed unless you stay there so not too crowded
Looks like it's going to be small in the Maldives from Friday on?
Look forward to your reply
I'd say 2-3ft with the peaks in swell Friday and Monday. Maybe 3ft/3ft+ if you're lucky on Friday.
Hey Bodge if the swell is a bit small or wrong direction on Kandooma they may go as far as Tucky Joe's and Twin Peaks to find waves in the Dhonis. I think Tucky's is a pretty shallow left that I've heard is a pretty good wave when it's on.
I was at Kandooma in Sep and they were looking at setting up a day trip to North Male to chase some Southerly lines. Were gonna hire a speedboat off the resort and go up to Cokes/ Sultan's etc. Never happened as they didn't get the numbers and the waves improved on the island, but if swell is passing by Kandooma, it may be on the cards again. They needed 8 and it was about 170USD each from memory.
Wow, Kaiser, how long was it going to take to get from Kandooma to Cokes? That's a serious boat ride.
'Twas an all day trip, Don. Leaving 7am and back at dark. Couldn't be done in the Dhonis (obviously) so speed boat was gonna be hired off the resort. Was 45 min in that boat from airport to resort, so I would think it was at least the same amount of time past it. Maybe 2hrs total? I think they had 6 names but needed 8. The irony is that if we waited till the North turned on, then Kandooma was not too bad anyway (bit of E in the approaching swell).
I also was conscious that I would be going from uncrowded and pretty good to crowded and perfect. A bit like taking a quiet beachie or lining up at Snapper. I take the quiet beachie every time...