Maldives Sept 7-17 2015 Forecast

rinlow75's picture
rinlow75 started the topic in Wednesday, 26 Aug 2015 at 2:59pm

Hello,

Anyone have any good tips on where to find a decent Maldives forecast? I will be surfing the North Male Atolls from Sept 7-17th. It may be too soon? Any tips or forecast predictions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

rinlow75's picture
rinlow75's picture
rinlow75 Sunday, 30 Aug 2015 at 5:43am

Anyone have any thoughts other than Surfline, magic seaweed, or storm surf?

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 2 Sep 2015 at 1:16pm

Looks pretty small for your first few days. I'd say 2-3ft+ E to SE swell from Mon 7th to Thursday 10th combined with a highly refracted 3-4ft+ S'ly swell from Tues 8th to Thursday 10th, with the biggest size at south swell magnets around Tues 8th.

Friday 11th to Sunday 13th sees a slight jump in the SE swell, say 3-4ft, with the upper end of this size again at the south swell magnets. Also a slim chance of some similar sized highly refracted SW/S groundswell, but only at the south swell magnets on Sat/Sun 12th/13th.

Your last week is looking good with some very nice SE swell on the cards. 4-5ft+ from Mon 14th to wed 16th with the upper end of this size at the south swell magnets. Swell possibly building further into the 5-6ft class come your last day (Thursday 17th), but again more so at the south swell magnets. Of course this is still some time away and hence subject to change due to changing weather models.

rinlow75's picture
rinlow75's picture
rinlow75 Monday, 7 Sep 2015 at 1:53am

Thanks Don! Much appreciated. Flying out of Singapore tomorrow night. Looks like the end of the trip will be best. That will give me a couple days to recover from the jet lag. Are there any south swell magnets other than Cokes in North Male? Looks like most need south east right? Looks like Indos forecast is epic this coming week!

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Monday, 7 Sep 2015 at 12:50pm

I'm in North Male Atolls 14th to 21st. Need East in the swell for where I'm staying (judging by past comments from contributors). Does the swell continue past the 17th Don??? Any input would be great to set my mind at ease (and choose the right boards to take)

Also, a link to a decent chart would be most appreciated.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 7:42pm

Been meaning to update my forecast above as it's changed a bit since then especially for next week. Peak looks to now be on Sun 13th/Mon 14th with a good looking S/SE swell (5-6ft) but this will be only at the south swell magnets. Smaller elsewhere.

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 7:57pm

Dang. Thanks for the update, Don. Please let me know if you see anything worthwhile for the days after that (14th to 21st). Was always keeping my expectations in check, but in the last couple of days I started to get my hopes up.

mnjoe's picture
mnjoe's picture
mnjoe Tuesday, 8 Sep 2015 at 8:05pm

I'm actually here in the north male atolls right now. There's swell but the S winds are blowing the spots out...no good wave shape at all. Seems like these winds will be similar until the 12th. Donweather, based on my limited search it seems westerly winds will be strong (10+ kts) next week around the 14th/15th. Is that also a problem for most spots up here?

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 12:57pm

S'ly winds look to swing back to the SW and then W over the coming days so that should help clean things up for the expected new swell this weekend.

Looks like a new S/SE swell arriving Sunday 13th (could even see it building late on Sat 12th) in the 4-5ft+ class (with the upper end of this size range at the south swell magnets). Waning slowly through next week, back down to 3-4ft by Thursday 17th, with a new pulse of 4-5ft S/SE swell arriving on Friday 18th and maintaining these waves heights until around Tuesday 22nd. There is also some SW groundswell progged for Sunday 20th through to Tuesday 22nd, but I'm not a big fan that much of this get's into the North Male atolls.....but a few stray sets with some added power may be seen at the south swell magnets during this time.

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 4:49pm

You're a good man, Don.