COVID-19 Health System Overload Forecaster

Craig's picture
Craig started the topic in Wednesday, 18 Mar 2020 at 7:44pm

I've created a spreadsheet forecast which I'll update as we go..

There's also a website with live running data.. https://sites.google.com/view/stayhomeaustralia

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:02pm
freeride76 wrote:

I have no problem with them, if that is aimed at me.
watch their stuff from time to time.

I'm just calling BS on her claim that the truckers convoy is subject to a media blackout.

Yeah, she contradicts herself a little there as she did cite the Toronto Sun whom I assume are a significant player in the Canadian media market. I’m sure what she really means by “blackout” isn’t the literal meaning. But more about why isn't the “largest convoy in history” which has the capacity to significantly disrupt, getting the blanket coverage she thinks it deserves from the big players and not from obscure regional sites:

https://www.google.com/search?q=canadian+trucking+convoy&sxsrf=AOaemvLJp...

We all know why. As does she. These news segments are now social highlights more than anything it now seems rather than policy influencing pieces. Protests against covid measures/mandates across the globe are always minimised. We have seen it here, and we see it in Europe. Rinse, repeat.

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:02pm
Ben Harding wrote:

the 'academic' in you gets bagged not as 'anti-intellectualism' or 'tall poppy syndrome'... but because you are a such bloody typical example of the very compromised contemporary uni system... and government in general…” - Sypkan
Nailed it. It is quite clear that in this instance, you commented on the uselessness of Supa's video by title and headline alone.

LOL

You guys.

Labelling me the egotistic wanker.

Literally summing up in a one liner, using your own opinions to paint a picture of what you assume I am like.

What do I owe you both for this psych analysis?

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:06pm
Stok wrote:
Ben Harding wrote:

the 'academic' in you gets bagged not as 'anti-intellectualism' or 'tall poppy syndrome'... but because you are a such bloody typical example of the very compromised contemporary uni system... and government in general…” - Sypkan
Nailed it. It is quite clear that in this instance, you commented on the uselessness of Supa's video by title and headline alone.

LOL

You guys.

Labelling me the egotistic wanker.

Literally summing up in a one liner, using your own opinions to paint a picture of what you assume I am like.

What do I owe you both for this psych analysis?

Free of charge for the first initial consultancy, Stok. We can work out numbers further down the track :)

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:06pm

"Protests against covid measures/mandates across the globe are always minimised. We have seen it here"

Again, is that true?

When the biggest Melbourne protest was on, I watched it live on FB from a link that Burleigh put up.
Then compared that coverage to mainstream media coverage.

Across the ABC and all commercial stations, the Melbourne (and other cities protests) were the lead story.
By and large the coverage was neutral.

I didn't see any suppression or minimisation whatsoever, quite the contrary.

Here is an ABC story on the protest.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-27/melbourne-protests-thousands-mand...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:08pm

Far as Europe goes, I am seeing articles in mainstream media (Guardian, ABC, SMH) about protests almost every day.

Here is one from the Independent, one of the UK's largest mainstream newspapers.

https://www.independent.co.uk/independentpremium/world/austria-protests-...

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:14pm
Ben Harding wrote:

Let's be honest, you didn't watch the video did you? I'll be honest, I only did as your comment seemed like a throwaway one-liner that did not match the headline… and I have the time today.

Honestly, i did watch it.

Her emotive phraseology, and usage of common anti vax / mandate tropes seemed pretty clear to me.

It was a 'let's get angry' opinion piece, about the 50 to 100 THOUSAND trucks and THOUSANDS of people cheering them on. With the odd reminded that the government is not looking further into alternative treatments ('After all we know about the effectiveness of them' or whatever she said), and oh yeah - total media BLACKOUT. I watched it a few hours ago now, not going to re-watch, but I'm pretty sure she dropped a line in there about how the vaccine doesn't stop transmission (very Burleigh-esque). She wraps up with a spiel about how good truckers are, and how shit the government is to truckers etc, etc.

Felt very Skynews, to put it in an Australian context - less about the facts, more about the entertainment aspect of the content. the Hill may be fairly politically balanced, by the Toronto Sun is right leaning, and she probably is too.

Which is funny - there's seemingly a lot more of this type of content coming out of the US, compared to Australia. Which speaks volumes of how the information war there is so different to here. We pretty much have strong bipartisan support for vaccines and mandates here, and the public has responded well to it (despite this thread of whingers). Whereas in the USA, it's much less rock solid, with their whole 'freedom of the individual above all else' crap - it's a lot more of a charged environment and these type of divisive, emotive opinion pieces are really an effective way of capturing the target audiences full attention.

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:19pm
freeride76 wrote:

"Protests against covid measures/mandates across the globe are always minimised. We have seen it here"

Again, is that true?

When the biggest Melbourne protest was on, I watched it live on FB from a link that Burleigh put up.
Then compared that coverage to mainstream media coverage.

Across the ABC and all commercial stations, the Melbourne (and other cities protests) were the lead story.
By and large the coverage was neutral.

I didn't see any suppression or minimisation whatsoever, quite the contrary.

Here is an ABC story on the protest.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-27/melbourne-protests-thousands-mand...

Um, absolutely its true. I know you're being serious, which is perplexing. Protests and media coverage always was and continues to be skewed.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:20pm

Dictator Dan really pushing for 3 jabs to be considered “fully vaccinated” let’s see what happens after this national cabinet meeting.

Surely this will absolutely destroy the already fucked economy, including tourism where other countries are now relaxing covid restrictions not tightening them

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:25pm
Ben Harding wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

"Protests against covid measures/mandates across the globe are always minimised. We have seen it here"

Again, is that true?

When the biggest Melbourne protest was on, I watched it live on FB from a link that Burleigh put up.
Then compared that coverage to mainstream media coverage.

Across the ABC and all commercial stations, the Melbourne (and other cities protests) were the lead story.
By and large the coverage was neutral.

I didn't see any suppression or minimisation whatsoever, quite the contrary.

Here is an ABC story on the protest.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-27/melbourne-protests-thousands-mand...

Um, absolutely its true. I know you're being serious, which is perplexing. Protests and media coverage always was and continues to be skewed.

I'm being serious because that's the way I have experienced it, and I provided evidence of mainstream media coverage of the protest to back it up.

Here's the staid old BBC, about the most mainstream media outlet in the world, covering the recent French protests.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59925408

So, where is the evidence that these protests are being ignored by the mainstream or coverage is skewed?

Not having a go, genuinely interested.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:26pm
freeride76 wrote:

And Stok seems to be presenting the mainstream medical evidence/advice in good faith to me.

You might not agree with it, but the level of personal abuse being directed at him seems unjustified to me.

Sorry Freeride, gotta completely disagree with you there. Stok, Roadkill, Viclocal and a couple of others are just as poisonous as the jab that currently has my friend recovering from a mild stroke and in and out of hospital, still touch and go. She took that jab because she felt the social pressures from extreme jab junkies like the above mentioned.
Anyone can have an opinion, but these people are using dangerous bullying tactics, and i'm currently living through the direct results of that.
The thing is, i posted a few days ago that i'm open to Novavax. So how does that make me antivax? I've just made my personal decision based on my own understandings of evidence presented in 2 years not to be a part of the Mrna trials.
And for Stok, if it ever did come to 'a big war' as he childishly antagonised, make no mistake, Stok, Roady and VL's skulls will be the first i'll be coming to collect. Toxic humans.
Anyway, more swell less net for me. Yew!

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:26pm
Stok wrote:
Ben Harding wrote:

Let's be honest, you didn't watch the video did you? I'll be honest, I only did as your comment seemed like a throwaway one-liner that did not match the headline… and I have the time today.

Honestly, i did watch it.

Her emotive phraseology, and usage of common anti vax / mandate tropes seemed pretty clear to me.

It was a 'let's get angry' opinion piece, about the 50 to 100 THOUSAND trucks and THOUSANDS of people cheering them on. With the odd reminded that the government is not looking further into alternative treatments ('After all we know about the effectiveness of them' or whatever she said), and oh yeah - total media BLACKOUT. I watched it a few hours ago now, not going to re-watch, but I'm pretty sure she dropped a line in there about how the vaccine doesn't stop transmission (very Burleigh-esque). She wraps up with a spiel about how good truckers are, and how shit the government is to truckers etc, etc.

Felt very Skynews, to put it in an Australian context - less about the facts, more about the entertainment aspect of the content. the Hill may be fairly politically balanced, by the Toronto Sun is right leaning, and she probably is too.

Which is funny - there's seemingly a lot more of this type of content coming out of the US, compared to Australia. Which speaks volumes of how the information war there is so different to here. We pretty much have strong bipartisan support for vaccines and mandates here, and the public has responded well to it (despite this thread of whingers). Whereas in the USA, it's much less rock solid, with their whole 'freedom of the individual above all else' crap - it's a lot more of a charged environment and these type of divisive, emotive opinion pieces are really an effective way of capturing the target audiences full attention.

"I watched it a few hours ago now, not going to re-watch, but I'm pretty sure she dropped a line in there about how the vaccine doesn't stop transmission"

I had a feeling that you ears would have either pricked up or you would have at least said something upon hearing that in your original comment to Supa.

"Which is funny - there's seemingly a lot more of this type of content coming out of the US, compared to Australia. Which speaks volumes of how the information war there is so different to here"

Worlds apart, we can agree on that.

gragagan's picture
gragagan's picture
gragagan Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:46pm

Here's another possible conspiracy, which I've never heard mentioned, and which I've done zero research on.

The reason the gov is pushing so hard for boosters now is:

The pharmaceutical companies have them by the short and curlies. Because they refused to contribute to the research and development of vaccines in the early days of the pandemic, the gov has had to accept a deal in which they are forced to mandate vaccinations for the entire eligible population every 3 months, for the life of the pandemic. Each strain's outbreak began in nsw, and was allowed to spread by the nsw gov, in concert with the fed gov. Once it spread enough, they were able to start bringing in vaccine mandates, thus fulfilling the terms of the contract they signed.
* Bonus conspiracy (buy one, get one free). Gladys didn't really resign because of corruption. She grew a conscience and refused to go along with Scotty's plan any more. The party came up with the corruption bit to tar and shame her.

All this probably has come up on the anti-... sites but I wouldn't know cos I don't visit them.

To me it's facts linked by a fictional story (meaning I made it up)
And I don't stand behind any of it hahaha

"sowing the seeds of ... "(whatever that song was about)

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:55pm

In the hill video I actually hardly took notice of when she said that there was a media blackout . Has anyone got a link to MSM tv in the US , broadcasting the footage of what was happening in Canada ? To me this wasn’t the story anyway. It was more about people , that some of which were vaccinated but were anti mandates . Stok said 50,000 to 100,000 trucks when in fact she reported 35,000 up to 50,000 trucks , Whatever . It’s a lot of people pissed of with mandates that don’t really make any sense. It was clear it wasn’t anti-vaxx but it was anti - mandates.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:57pm

"LOL

You guys.

Labelling me the egotistic wanker.

Literally summing up in a one liner, using your own opinions to paint a picture of what you assume I am like.

What do I owe you both for this psych analysis?"

says the guy that gave bluediamond a multi paragraph psychological breakdown...

disguised in good faith... but really... was just another lame-arse attempt to discredit someone and their position...

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 3:59pm
bluediamond wrote:

And for Stok, if it ever did come to 'a big war' as he childishly antagonised, make no mistake, Stok, Roady and VL's skulls will be the first i'll be coming to collect. Toxic humans.

Just re-highlighting this little nugget to enshrine it further in this shameful thread.

I really feel for you, living through the dangerous times we're in, being bullied online and via the news. Refusing a free medical treatment which has been provided to around 60% of the worlds population, and has been heralded as a breakthrough technology for mankind. Which has saved countless lives.

Yep, WA, South Coast WA, is a tough place to be. What with it's 10 days of lockdown in the past 2 years and maybe 20 odd positive cases of covid. It's almost as if you're living under a rock.....which is under a bigger rock. Completely shielded from the shit the worlds been dealing with. You've probably only really had to wear a mask a handful of times.

Oh well, if I ever do surf down that way, I'll keep an eye out for you. You may actually see I'm not that bad of a person....I'd gladly share a wave with you and beer after. After all the shit talking, I don't, and never would, completely define or write someone off over one disagreement in discourse*. Perhaps you should do the same.

*except maybe Burleigh ;)

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:08pm

laden with tropes from the nyt, wa-po, guardian set I might add...

who have been running with the same tactic for 2 years now to discredit various 'conspiracies'...

the MO is so well worn, blatant, and now bland, ir's just boring...

not to mention totally misplaced, the conspiracy is often there, ...if you totally reverse the players...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:02pm

Here's another mainstream media take on the Melbourne protests.
This time from News.com.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia/thousands-of-protest...

Ben Harding, do you see this as being skewed or minimising the protest?

It seems straight down the line to me.

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:05pm
freeride76 wrote:
Ben Harding wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

"Protests against covid measures/mandates across the globe are always minimised. We have seen it here"

Again, is that true?

When the biggest Melbourne protest was on, I watched it live on FB from a link that Burleigh put up.
Then compared that coverage to mainstream media coverage.

Across the ABC and all commercial stations, the Melbourne (and other cities protests) were the lead story.
By and large the coverage was neutral.

I didn't see any suppression or minimisation whatsoever, quite the contrary.

Here is an ABC story on the protest.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-27/melbourne-protests-thousands-mand...

Um, absolutely its true. I know you're being serious, which is perplexing. Protests and media coverage always was and continues to be skewed.

I'm being serious because that's the way I have experienced it, and I provided evidence of mainstream media coverage of the protest to back it up.

Here's the staid old BBC, about the most mainstream media outlet in the world, covering the recent French protests.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59925408

So, where is the evidence that these protests are being ignored by the mainstream or coverage is skewed?

Not having a go, genuinely interested.

Fair play on finding these two good articles to back up your experience. It is actually very hard for me to find any recent news article on google (no less) where the mainstream media or the government admit to their unfavorable depictions or analysis of social movements or protests.

The one clear example in my head I attempted to find was the press conference where Brad Hazzard and the NSW Police commissioner tried to say 2500 people attended the protests,when it was in fact 10,000+. Couldn't find it. The SMH actually white washed their original story of crowd numbers as a result of the backlash they received for misrepresenting the facts. I don't throw social media up as references, so I won't go there.

Essentially you are asking me to find an article which disproves something that you have found exists as your example. However it doesn't mean it doesn’t. Without throwing a heap of links at you or journal articles search on scholar or just google “Protest and media coverage” and you will soon find there is an inherent bias in reporting these protests and misrepresentation of the people at the rallies, skewing of the figures, and or focus solely on the destruction or negative aspects of the protest itself. Not all the time either as you have found, but this has been a systemic issue for a long time and still is to this day.

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:08pm

its just the internet. maybe let it go.. to BD & Stok.

meanwhile re vaccine mandates.

https://theconversation.com/vaccine-mandates-for-healthcare-workers-shou...

".....The reason they should be abandoned is because they are now pointless.."

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:11pm

And people are well and truly over it.
I've yet to speak to a vaxxer (and I'm talking pro-vaxxers) who is keen on a booster.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-27/nsw-records-29-covid-19-deaths/10...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:13pm
Ben Harding wrote:
freeride76 wrote:
Ben Harding wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

"Protests against covid measures/mandates across the globe are always minimised. We have seen it here"

Again, is that true?

When the biggest Melbourne protest was on, I watched it live on FB from a link that Burleigh put up.
Then compared that coverage to mainstream media coverage.

Across the ABC and all commercial stations, the Melbourne (and other cities protests) were the lead story.
By and large the coverage was neutral.

I didn't see any suppression or minimisation whatsoever, quite the contrary.

Here is an ABC story on the protest.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-27/melbourne-protests-thousands-mand...

Um, absolutely its true. I know you're being serious, which is perplexing. Protests and media coverage always was and continues to be skewed.

I'm being serious because that's the way I have experienced it, and I provided evidence of mainstream media coverage of the protest to back it up.

Here's the staid old BBC, about the most mainstream media outlet in the world, covering the recent French protests.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59925408

So, where is the evidence that these protests are being ignored by the mainstream or coverage is skewed?

Not having a go, genuinely interested.

Fair play on finding these two good articles to back up your experience. It is actually very hard for me to find any recent news article on google (no less) where the mainstream media or the government admit to their unfavorable depictions or analysis of social movements or protests.

The one clear example in my head I attempted to find was the press conference where Brad Hazzard and the NSW Police commissioner tried to say 2500 people attended the protests,when it was in fact 10,000+. Couldn't find it. The SMH actually white washed their original story of crowd numbers as a result of the backlash they received for misrepresenting the facts. I don't throw social media up as references, so I won't go there.

Essentially you are asking me to find an article which disproves something that you have found exists as your example. However it doesn't mean it doesn’t. Without throwing a heap of links at you or journal articles search on scholar or just google “Protest and media coverage” and you will soon find there is an inherent bias in reporting these protests and misrepresentation of the people at the rallies, skewing of the figures, and or focus solely on the destruction or negative aspects of the protest itself. Not all the time either as you have found, but this has been a systemic issue for a long time and still is to this day.

Fair enough.

I'm pretty much a mainstream media guy.

Listen to ABC radio most days, check out the Guardian and SMH online.

Will check out The Hill and Unherd fairly often, sometimes harder core anti-vax stuff just to see what the thinking is.

So I haven't experienced any minimisation or skewing at all.

Here's a typical Guardian article from the Melbourne protest https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/dec/04/covid-vaccine-pro...

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:14pm
freeride76 wrote:

Here's another mainstream media take on the Melbourne protests.
This time from News.com.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/australia/thousands-of-protest...

Ben Harding, do you see this as being skewed or minimising the protest?

It seems straight down the line to me.

Three good examples :) I don't agree that msm have reported accurately on these protests or community opposition. You do though, that's fine. Definitely not straight down the line for me.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:16pm

How do you see it?

Not having a go, because I hear people saying what you are saying all the time.

What do you see as skewed about the above article?

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:17pm
freeride76 wrote:
Ben Harding wrote:
freeride76 wrote:
Ben Harding wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

"Protests against covid measures/mandates across the globe are always minimised. We have seen it here"

Again, is that true?

When the biggest Melbourne protest was on, I watched it live on FB from a link that Burleigh put up.
Then compared that coverage to mainstream media coverage.

Across the ABC and all commercial stations, the Melbourne (and other cities protests) were the lead story.
By and large the coverage was neutral.

I didn't see any suppression or minimisation whatsoever, quite the contrary.

Here is an ABC story on the protest.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-27/melbourne-protests-thousands-mand...

Um, absolutely its true. I know you're being serious, which is perplexing. Protests and media coverage always was and continues to be skewed.

I'm being serious because that's the way I have experienced it, and I provided evidence of mainstream media coverage of the protest to back it up.

Here's the staid old BBC, about the most mainstream media outlet in the world, covering the recent French protests.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59925408

So, where is the evidence that these protests are being ignored by the mainstream or coverage is skewed?

Not having a go, genuinely interested.

Fair play on finding these two good articles to back up your experience. It is actually very hard for me to find any recent news article on google (no less) where the mainstream media or the government admit to their unfavorable depictions or analysis of social movements or protests.

The one clear example in my head I attempted to find was the press conference where Brad Hazzard and the NSW Police commissioner tried to say 2500 people attended the protests,when it was in fact 10,000+. Couldn't find it. The SMH actually white washed their original story of crowd numbers as a result of the backlash they received for misrepresenting the facts. I don't throw social media up as references, so I won't go there.

Essentially you are asking me to find an article which disproves something that you have found exists as your example. However it doesn't mean it doesn’t. Without throwing a heap of links at you or journal articles search on scholar or just google “Protest and media coverage” and you will soon find there is an inherent bias in reporting these protests and misrepresentation of the people at the rallies, skewing of the figures, and or focus solely on the destruction or negative aspects of the protest itself. Not all the time either as you have found, but this has been a systemic issue for a long time and still is to this day.

Fair enough.

I'm pretty much a mainstream media guy.

Listen to ABC radio most days, check out the Guardian and SMH online.

Will check out The Hill and Unherd fairly often, sometimes harder core anti-vax stuff just to see what the thinking is.

So I haven't experienced any minimisation or skewing at all.

Here's a typical Guardian article from the Melbourne protest https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/dec/04/covid-vaccine-pro...

It's really hard not to be a MSM guy here in Aus. Michael West Media is pretty good as an option, sometimes. FriendlyJordies is funny. I see a lot of things not adding up everywhere though. I do like Radio national radio too for that matter.

"Will check out The Hill and Unherd fairly often, sometimes harder core anti-vax stuff just to see what the thinking is."

Until today I hadn't watched a single video or read an article on either of those sites.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:26pm

“And for Stok, if it ever did come to 'a big war' as he childishly antagonised, make no mistake, Stok, Roady and VL's skulls will be the first i'll be coming to collect. Toxic humans.“

Says it all. The quality of bd as a person.

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:23pm
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:30pm
bonza wrote:

its just the internet. maybe let it go.. to BD & Stok.

meanwhile re vaccine mandates.

https://theconversation.com/vaccine-mandates-for-healthcare-workers-shou...

".....The reason they should be abandoned is because they are now pointless.."

Yep!! Too easy Bonza. Cheers.

Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding's picture
Ben Harding Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:34pm
freeride76 wrote:

How do you see it?

Not having a go, because I hear people saying what you are saying all the time.

What do you see as skewed about the above article?

The above article (s), no issue really, objective reporting by the looks, but I speed read them. How do I see things generally? With the MSM? That would have to be a long form answer and will take some time and thought as I would want to be careful with my words. What I will say is the respect I had for the fourth estate growing up in the 90s and 00s, and respect for proper journalism, has nearly completely gone. It seems almost tabloid’al now. The broadsheets included. News and SMH some of the worst offenders, particularly News.com. Yet I read them everyday, go figure.

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 4:37pm

On the media bias topic I suggest everyone to visit https://adfontesmedia.com/ and review the media bias chart.

Also, I installed a Ground News Chrome extension on my laptop which basically pops out with a bias banner on every news site I visit - https://ground.news/extension

This works well, especially in the US which is extremely polluted with bias. At the end of the day, I read everything left, right and form my own opinions. These little tools make it a lot easier to distinguish bias behind news outlets.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 5:07pm
sypkan wrote:

well that went well...

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/neil-youngs-joe-rogan-ultima...

not even being sarcastic... for some of us...

like me, who absolutely love neil young

but think he's having a big hissy fit meets seniors moment

Same. Maybe he's frustrated by something he disagrees with but I really wished he would've done as he did in 2006 and fought with his art.

'Living With War' is a bold fuck you to Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld and what they did to America. He was mid-fifties then, well passed his peak, but not a single US singer of note spoke out the way he did - leave alone record an entire album of seething music.

Beautiful melodies, furious lyrics.

For that sole LP alone, his politics deserve to be respected, but this Spotify ultimatum is a folly.

And though it's by the by, I agree with Andy-Mac that Young's music will live on far longer than Rogan.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 5:15pm
Supafreak wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

""The first 6:30mins (of 10ms) are her literally reporting on the trucking convoy and vaccine mandate protests that are currently ongoing in canada; she mentions that hardly any major mainstream news networks are reporting the issue (blackout)"

doesn't such gross overeaching bias by censorship require a little balancing?"

Is it true though?

One seconds searching showed a shitt ton of coverage in Canada of the Truckers convoy.

Maybe search the US media , if stok or anyone thinks the hill are nothing but RWNJ here’s the media bias rating https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-hill/ and is the media blackout the story here ? or is the protest the story ? Or is the story what people are protesting about ?

Wow thats the most central rating ive ever seen on that site

Site is much better than some chart, it provides much more detail on different aspects.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 5:17pm
stunet wrote:
sypkan wrote:

well that went well...

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/neil-youngs-joe-rogan-ultima...

not even being sarcastic... for some of us...

like me, who absolutely love neil young

but think he's having a big hissy fit meets seniors moment

Same. Maybe he's frustrated by something he disagrees with but I really wished he would've done as he did in 2006 and fought with his art.

'Living With War' is a bold fuck you to Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld and what they did to America. He was mid-fifties then, well passed his peak, but not a single US singer of note spoke out the way he did - leave alone record an entire album of seething music.

Beautiful melodies, furious lyrics.

For that sole LP alone, his politics deserve to be respected, but this Spotify ultimatum is a folly.

And though it's by the by, I agree with Andy-Mac that Young's music will live on far longer than Rogan.

Stu, don't mention 'the war!' :-P

bonza's picture
bonza's picture
bonza Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 5:30pm
stunet wrote:
sypkan wrote:

well that went well...

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/neil-youngs-joe-rogan-ultima...

not even being sarcastic... for some of us...

like me, who absolutely love neil young

but think he's having a big hissy fit meets seniors moment

Same. Maybe he's frustrated by something he disagrees with but I really wished he would've done as he did in 2006 and fought with his art.

'Living With War' is a bold fuck you to Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld and what they did to America. He was mid-fifties then, well passed his peak, but not a single US singer of note spoke out the way he did - leave alone record an entire album of seething music.

Beautiful melodies, furious lyrics.

For that sole LP alone, his politics deserve to be respected, but this Spotify ultimatum is a folly.

And though it's by the by, I agree with Andy-Mac that Young's music will live on far longer than Rogan.

Re of note. What about pearl jam? Asking for a friend.

Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam's picture
Michael Adam Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 5:43pm

50 000 truckies, yes fifty thousand! lined up on highway in Canada to protest nonsense sars2 mandates.
I am slowly starting to regain faith in humanity.

The real Donald Trump's picture
The real Donald Trump's picture
The real Donald... Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 5:51pm

jab junkies have 2 choices.

1. Say NO, NO MORE. No more boosters, and join us delporable cleanskins.

or

2. Keep getting whacked up with whatever whenever they say. Endless medical slavery.

Personally, I strongly encourage option #2 , if you think that's best for you. Whatever I don't care.

Just don't come at me with a needle full of franken juice, I'll take it off you and stab you in the eye with it.

mugofsunshine's picture
mugofsunshine's picture
mugofsunshine Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 6:05pm
stunet wrote:
sypkan wrote:

well that went well...

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/neil-youngs-joe-rogan-ultima...

not even being sarcastic... for some of us...

like me, who absolutely love neil young

but think he's having a big hissy fit meets seniors moment

Same. Maybe he's frustrated by something he disagrees with but I really wished he would've done as he did in 2006 and fought with his art.

'Living With War' is a bold fuck you to Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld and what they did to America. He was mid-fifties then, well passed his peak, but not a single US singer of note spoke out the way he did -

'Hell broke Luce' Tom Waits

Talking to Zan Rowe he said the US Gov contacted him about scoring for a recruitment campaign, he sent them this. I think he may have been telling a tall one but I'd love to believe it :)

Hiccups's picture
Hiccups's picture
Hiccups Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 6:24pm
mugofsunshine wrote:
stunet wrote:
sypkan wrote:

well that went well...

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/neil-youngs-joe-rogan-ultima...

not even being sarcastic... for some of us...

like me, who absolutely love neil young

but think he's having a big hissy fit meets seniors moment

Same. Maybe he's frustrated by something he disagrees with but I really wished he would've done as he did in 2006 and fought with his art.

'Living With War' is a bold fuck you to Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld and what they did to America. He was mid-fifties then, well passed his peak, but not a single US singer of note spoke out the way he did -

'Hell broke Luce' Tom Waits

Talking to Zan Rowe he said the US Gov contacted him about scoring for a recruitment campaign, he sent them this. I think he may have been telling a tall one but I'd love to believe it :)

Add Jerusalem by Steve Earle to this list, or just Steve Earle in general. Also the Dixie Chicks shitting on GWB for his war stance got them into all manner of deep poop.

tylerdurden's picture
tylerdurden's picture
tylerdurden Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 7:47pm

Anyone see or hear anything about the decent sized anti-mandates rally in Washington DC on the weekend?
(Don’t google it, just think if you even remember seeing or hearing about it!)
Don’t think it got one second of coverage in the major media here.
I think that’s an example of what’s being alluded to in the “media blackout” concept

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 7:59pm
Hiccups wrote:
mugofsunshine wrote:
stunet wrote:
sypkan wrote:

well that went well...

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/neil-youngs-joe-rogan-ultima...

not even being sarcastic... for some of us...

like me, who absolutely love neil young

but think he's having a big hissy fit meets seniors moment

Same. Maybe he's frustrated by something he disagrees with but I really wished he would've done as he did in 2006 and fought with his art.

'Living With War' is a bold fuck you to Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld and what they did to America. He was mid-fifties then, well passed his peak, but not a single US singer of note spoke out the way he did -

'Hell broke Luce' Tom Waits

Talking to Zan Rowe he said the US Gov contacted him about scoring for a recruitment campaign, he sent them this. I think he may have been telling a tall one but I'd love to believe it :)

Add Jerusalem by Steve Earle to this list, or just Steve Earle in general. Also the Dixie Chicks shitting on GWB for his war stance got them into all manner of deep poop.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse’s Ragged Glory and (live)Weld albums were recorded, played & toured during Bush’s (snr) ME military folly. IMO 2 of his best played loud. Young’s opposition to Bush’s war was widely quoted at the time.

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 8:01pm

@tyler, why would it be covered in detail in Australian news, if it's in Washington?

I think the media blackout comments are pretty flimsy and without basis. Who would orchestrate a media blackout? If we only had state run media, then yes it would work. Commercial media certainly do report news in coordination with their sponsors, but it's either disclosed up front, or very, very obvious that it's a paid commercial.

Any shred of evidence of a media blackout would almost immediately find its way to the public, with the independence and variety of our media sources, and social media, it wouldn't be possible.

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 8:06pm
The real Donald Trump wrote:

jab junkies have 2 choices.

1. Say NO, NO MORE. No more boosters, and join us delporable cleanskins.

or

2. Keep getting whacked up with whatever whenever they say. Endless medical slavery.

Personally, I strongly encourage option #2 , if you think that's best for you. Whatever I don't care.

Just don't come at me with a needle full of franken juice, I'll take it off you and stab you in the eye with it.

Great post TRD.
Don't worry, no one is going to come at you with a needle.
Of course, the world doesn't bend to suit your beliefs, hopefully for your sake covid remains relatively mild for most people, and we don't have any other more deadly variants or other novel viruses which may need you to get a jab.

Stok's picture
Stok's picture
Stok Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 8:12pm
old-dog wrote:

Back in the real world the ball and chain dragged me down to the the clinic last week to do the right thing for society and ourselves and get Pfizer boosted. She had a sore arm next day I had no side effects. A bloke at work had covid over xmas (double jabbed but heavy smoker in his 40's), worst week of his life couldn't get up and shat the bed. Luckily he had 400 rolls of dunny paper in the shed.
Anyone who says its just a sniffle should try saying it to the families of the millions who have died and see what happens.
Imagine what would be happening in nursing homes if not for the vaccines. Oh I forgot some of you sick bastards cant wait any longer to inherit a house that you can't afford on cetrelink benefits.

Yeah, out of about the 15 people or so I know who've had covid, around 4 of them have had a very rough time. Bedridden for days, brain fog still hanging around etc.
I've got 2 young kids and the thought of me and/or my wife being bed ridden for days while the kids run amok is a daunting one. Fuck that, not worth it.

tylerdurden's picture
tylerdurden's picture
tylerdurden Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 8:13pm

Rallies of that size in the US frequently get reported in the media here and Covid is obviously a pretty hot topic. The point is the media could have made a big point of it if they wanted to but didn’t.

Either way, my summary on Covid is that I’m very unlikely to die from it but extraordinarily frustrated with the inconsistency of policy at just about every level.
I’m pro vax but simultaneously I can’t believe the restrictions on doctors in terms of their ability to prescribe early treatments.
That’s my main bug bear.
At times I think everyone on here has raised at least one good point....and that includes VicLocal and Blindboy

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 8:14pm
Stok wrote:
The real Donald Trump wrote:

jab junkies have 2 choices.

1. Say NO, NO MORE. No more boosters, and join us delporable cleanskins.

or

2. Keep getting whacked up with whatever whenever they say. Endless medical slavery.

Personally, I strongly encourage option #2 , if you think that's best for you. Whatever I don't care.

Just don't come at me with a needle full of franken juice, I'll take it off you and stab you in the eye with it.

Great post TRD.
Don't worry, no one is going to come at you with a needle.
Of course, the world doesn't bend to suit your beliefs, hopefully for your sake covid remains relatively mild for most people, and we don't have any other more deadly variants or other novel viruses which may need you to get a jab.

Stok you never replied about Dr Gregers career in public health specialising in emerging infectious diseases.
I’m interested to hear your thoughts

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 8:14pm
tylerdurden wrote:

Anyone see or hear anything about the decent sized anti-mandates rally in Washington DC on the weekend?
(Don’t google it, just think if you even remember seeing or hearing about it!)
Don’t think it got one second of coverage in the major media here.
I think that’s an example of what’s being alluded to in the “media blackout” concept

I'm sure I heard about it or read it somewhere.

But I'm hearing about this stuff everyday, and a quick Google search shows it was well covered by the USA MSM.

That seems poor evidence to me of a "media blackout".

I agree with Stok, it's probably not news in Australia.

tylerdurden's picture
tylerdurden's picture
tylerdurden Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 8:16pm

Yeah Freeride? Who spoke? And was it covered positively or negatively?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 8:20pm

edit: I remember now where I heard it; somewhere in the MSM where they made a big deal out of RFK's quote: Kennedy called the mandates “a coup d’etat to democracy” and compared vaccine passports to slavery. “Even in Hitler’s Germany, you could hide,” Kennedy said,

Edit: it was this Guardian story https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jan/24/robert-f-kennedy-jr-anti...

Coverage tone: negative.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 8:23pm

Update from my friend :(
"Really rough night. No sleep, the nausea was so severe. Just got back from doc up at the hospital. Got different meds. Was interesting - Doc initially said it was highly likely that it was a response to the vaccine and that it would just eventually subside (timeframe unknown) then after she spoke to head of department it changed to being "unlikely" that it was the vaccine. It's so fucked how silenced they all are."
Make of it what you will. She was a fully functioning happy healthy active human 2 weeks ago. Now she can't get out of bed and there's no end in sight.

burleigh's picture
burleigh's picture
burleigh Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 8:28pm
bluediamond wrote:

Update from my friend :(
"Really rough night. No sleep, the nausea was so severe. Just got back from doc up at the hospital. Got different meds. Was interesting - Doc initially said it was highly likely that it was a response to the vaccine and that it would just eventually subside (timeframe unknown) then after she spoke to head of department it changed to being "unlikely" that it was the vaccine. It's so fucked how silenced they all are."
Make of it what you will. She was a fully functioning happy healthy active human 2 weeks ago. Now she can't get out of bed and there's no end in sight.

Hope she’s all good BD.

I’ve been cooked on here for saying this before but I personally know three people (uncle, mother in law and friend) that all had strokes within 2 weeks from their covid jab.
They were reported yet Drs are not willing to say it’s from the jab.

The pressure the government has put on these Drs is disgusting and criminal.

All three were not given an exemption for follow up jabs.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 27 Jan 2022 at 8:32pm

It's fucked Burleigh. People wonder why i'm getting so riled up. It's personal now. It's one thing to support vaccines, it's another to bully people into taking it.
I feel for the doctors too....all doing their best but caught up in this mess.
Really sorry to hear about your family and friend. Hope they make a good strong recovery mate.