Surfing and Veganism

Stok's picture
Stok started the topic in Friday, 29 Jan 2016 at 3:17pm

I think surfers, by their nature, are generally pretty in tune with the environment - more so than the general public.

We regularly get to fully immerse ourselves in the raw, unforgiving ocean, sometimes that ocean may be hours away from civilisation. We get to see sides of the ocean many don't, and all surfers feel somewhat connected to it.

Surfers are usually concerned about climate change, dwindling natural resources, excessive human population increase, exploitation of sea animals (Bali Dolphins, Seaworld etc), Tuna cages (Victor Harbor) and shark diving - hell even general littering (I've never seen a true surfer litter).

So I thought I’d put it out there – is anyone on this forum vegan? If not, have you ever considered it?

Living a vegan lifestyle is pretty much as close as you can get to being sustainable in our modern society. Aside from the health and serious and significant ethical reasons to become vegan (and there are so, so many of ethical reasons available), sustainability is a huge one. Human demand for seafood is straight out killing our oceans. Livestock is also killing them – directly through creating ‘ocean dead zones’ near farmland and indirectly through agriculture’s massive carbon footprint.

As a lifelong surfer, and only a recent vegan (6 months) I encourage you to watch this, and consider if you want to continue being a part of one of the most destructive ways of life the earth has ever seen.

p.s. I became vegan only for sustainable and ethical reasons – I actually don’t think eating meat is necessarily wrong, and I do believe in the food chain and apex predators – But the way humans consume is not what I would consider part of the food chain. We’re not an apex predator – we’re a destructive bacteria.

indo-dreaming commented Tuesday, 16 Apr 2019 at 4:48pm

Sheepdog said="Terrorism style attacks..............
Jesus christ...... You REALLY do listen to Alan Jones a bit too much."

Maybe not terrorist in the traditional sense, but im not sure what other word real fits?

Vigilante groups?...not really trying to enforce the law?

What would you call it? to describe people breaking into peoples farms in large groups then doing as the feel fit, letting livestock out, stealing livestock etc.

Im sure the farmers or staff would feel very intimidated , hence why the activist come in large groups and not 1, 2 or 3 etc., im sure if it happened at night, with family homes often part of the operation often with family, the family would feel terrorised.

Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot, and the farmers went to the activist homes/business barged in in large groups intimidating them and steal things.

BTW. Ive always meant to go to an effort to listen to Alan Jones, but I've never listened to him, i must do so.

For further reference and common sense.

General Social issues: Rita Panahi & Lauren Southern
Indigenous issues: Jacinta Price and Anthony Dillion
Gender: Debra Soh.
Islam: Armin Navabi & Brigitte Gabriel
Population: Dick Smith

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook commented Tuesday, 16 Apr 2019 at 5:03pm

you're a townie, indo. shut the fck up about the country.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 commented Tuesday, 16 Apr 2019 at 5:23pm

speaking of local vegetables, when I was in the Marshall Islands......just atolls hard to grow plants the locals ate pandanus seeds.
roasted them up and ate the stringy flesh.

It was pretty nice. I've tried to eat the local ones but never been able to make them edible.
Anyone ever eaten one?

indo-dreaming commented Tuesday, 16 Apr 2019 at 5:35pm

@Chook I dont think it really matters I dont think people have to live on farms to have a view on this topic?

It's not exactly a city or even a town where i live anyway, just measured on google im 750 metres away from farmland, my sister is married to an X farmer who's family still farms, he loves his farming and has chewed my ear off about farming when he worked for me (actually it was kind of interesting), also done a little work on farms mostly fixing fences and some landcare stuff when younger.

For further reference and common sense.

General Social issues: Rita Panahi & Lauren Southern

Nuts 2.3
Beans/tofu 2.0
Vegetables 2.0
Milk 1.9
Fruit 1.1
Lentils 0.9
The debate rages on whether Co2 actually is a problem, or if the earth is flat, but the debate is separate from the facts. The facts exist on their own.
I was disappointed with my chops tonight. Wood fired bbq was great, but defrosted from the freezer left them lacking. My body is telling me how nutritious they were. Think I’ll have vegetable rice paper rolls tomorrow

indo-dreaming commented Tuesday, 16 Apr 2019 at 5:50pm

No idea how this works pretty skeptical that you can just put a figure too things like that.

But any idea anyone why lamb would come in lower than beef?

Growth rate?

Edit: Okay its American, so pretty inaccurate for us https://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-top-10-foods-with-the-biggest-env...

So many other factors that would need to be factored in, food waste for example for every KG of a crop you might have 1/3 wasted or rejected etc, failed crops, are you getting other products from the source, etc leather products etc?

For further reference and common sense.

General Social issues: Rita Panahi & Lauren Southern
Indigenous issues: Jacinta Price and Anthony Dillion
Gender: Debra Soh.
Islam: Armin Navabi & Brigitte Gabriel
Population: Dick Smith

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump commented Tuesday, 16 Apr 2019 at 6:22pm

Don’t forget you first need a crop to feed them, then their own crop.
I believe the global average for food wastage is 40%. 3rd world countries waste more at the primary stage and countries like Australia waste more at the final stages ie stores and homes.
So, you reckon in Australia it’s like, the opposite? Pretty similar I’d bet, pretty similar. The world average would be in the same vein

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS commented Tuesday, 16 Apr 2019 at 6:20pm

Plus plants absorb co2, and livestock creates methane.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan commented Tuesday, 16 Apr 2019 at 6:38pm

Lamb is higher than beef according to shoredump's list, which I found interesting. I would've thought they'd be lower due to farts and length of life etc.. Length of life opens another whole can of moralistic worms, hence me never trying babi gulig in bali, much to my friends, disgust, frustration and corresponding contempt.

Pretty happy my preferred eggs and chicken are well down the scale. This is where I agree with indod, if the vegans weren't so purist and god damned nazi like, they'd win more people over.

Once upon a time being vegetarian was enough to satisfy one's youthful cravings for differentiation, not any more. It's militant veganism or nothing!

A little flexibility and reasonableness is always good for winning arguments. Like vegetarianism, it appears the people think not anymore...

For the record, I'm not disputing CO2 and the wider CC issue, I just think it's idealism and zealots overlook a lot of other things, a whole heap of things, sweeping them away at great cost. Chinese blueberries don't just have a higher carbon footprint, they'd be a heap of issues not being addressed in their chinese farming practices.

Just like there'd be a heap of other environmental issues not being addressed in the chinese factory. These things, plus the labour laws, and slave wages, are what makes the whole 'free trade' thing a complete hoax.

Something no one was willing to talk about pre orange moron, go trump!

The fuckwit has facilitated lots lots more than his dumb red neck arse is remotely aware of...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 commented Tuesday, 16 Apr 2019 at 7:04pm

Surely meaningless Shoredump unless local factors included.

ie I can get my sausages from my mate up on the hill behind Byron Bay, herd grazing on pasture. Great closed loop system with nutrients being recycled back into the soil.
His brother has free range chooks in other paddocks. Real free range.

Carbon footprint versus tofu made from GMO soy grown overseas?

Without circumstances factored in, stats like that are meaningless, at best. Deceptive and misleading at worst.

indo-dreaming commented Tuesday, 16 Apr 2019 at 7:25pm

Yeah im real curious on the Lamb higher C02 thing?

I guess has to be a reason?

But they are generally smaller and they a slaughtered earlier.

First figure is when they are slaughtered, last is average lifespan.

Lambs 6-8 months 12-14 years
“Beef” cattle 18 months 15-20 years

Personally I rarely eat lamb, maybe twice a year with a lamb roast, maybe beef once or twice a week, pork or fish once a week, chicken other nights, maybe the odd no meat meal or even tofu/tempe, and i actually dont drink milk only Soy milk, i like the taste, im a huge fruit eater too..min of three pieces of fruits a day sometimes double that.

Edit: Okay its got to do with lamb having less meat on them per overall weight than beef, however like i said if you end up also getting sheep skin or wool from them at some stage then you surely have to divide the overall C02 footprint for the different products gained.

For further reference and common sense.

General Social issues: Rita Panahi & Lauren Southern