Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

toneranger's picture
toneranger's picture
toneranger commented Thursday, 7 Feb 2019 at 1:36pm

Adelaide band The Bodgies recorded a song'SOMEBODY STOLE MY RIPPLE SOLES' IN 1982

indo-dreaming commented Thursday, 7 Feb 2019 at 1:59pm

I really like a lot of those South OZ bands from that mid to late 80s period that were often on greasy pop records and featured quite a bit on some of the old RipCurl vids.

Exploding white mice, The Philisteins, The Spikes, Garden path

I remember my friend some how got his hands on a whole heap of cassettes with lots of their stuff and some other bands like Happy hate me nots, Celibate rifles, Painters ad Dockers, Screaming tribesman, God, Bored etc

I think this was on a surf video

Blowin commented Thursday, 7 Feb 2019 at 2:04pm

I used to record the music from those old Rip Curl vids onto blank tapes and listen to them flat out. Such good music.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum commented Saturday, 9 Feb 2019 at 12:56am

Interesting, Tone Ranger. The ripple as cultural signifier. The history would be fascinating. Well, to me.

As a young double-digit kid, ripples were for Rockers. We were nascent skinheads. We all played soccer and had a British parent or two. 2 Tone ska was exploding. We wore Adidas Romes mostly. Dr Martens were fairly rare. Only really if you knew someone that had just come back from the UK. Your first pair were a big deal. Later, there was a skinhead shop in town that sold all the good stuff. Harrington's, Fred Perry shirts, Boots n braces. Crew used to come from around Oz. When I was a bit older I got a sick pair of loafers from there like the ones off the front of the Dance Craze album.

It was all-change when the Oi stuff and the righty whitey shit started up. Music was toss too.

US punk and hardcore took over. Later Vans (again if you could source them!) and Chucks from then on. And a Volley and ripple too (reclaimed or culturally appropriated?) when the Aussie punk got a look in.

Actually, before surfing took over completely and we were still involved in the soccer, we were all casual-style sneaker freaks for a time. Always had a pair of Adidas and Puma lurking. Still do.

Actually, here's another flashback. The Ciak! School social special!

As for surf soundtracks, there was a tiny window for mine. Billabong and Social D; Rip Curl's Rubber Soul; Runman. Before that, not for me. Though I had a soft spot for Richard Clapton. And the soundtrack for In Search of Tubular Swells was a ripper. I hear old Santana and I think of Gerry and G-Land.

Late 80s, nah. Early 90s and the Momentum gang. Well, having a dig. Borrowed heavily from skate vids from years previously. The structure, not the music. Check Speed Freaks for example. We used to think Bad Religion was passable pre-that whole Taylor Steele thing. Face-to-Face, maybe. Pennywise, same. NOFX. Actually there was a Rusty vid, Branno era, that had a Cosmic Psychos soundtrack. And an O'Neill one with insane footage of Herro paired with TISM. Was it a Webber job?

Sarge's Scrapbooks and Mindcrack!

To be honest, tuned out from surf soundtracks, and most 'on land' surf culture in the 90s. Probably from Rubber Soul onwards.

Oh Salvation!

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there."

toneranger's picture
toneranger's picture
toneranger commented Thursday, 7 Feb 2019 at 4:11pm

the best pair of ripples i ever had were bought in of all places,darwin in 1977.they looked liked blue dunlop volleys and had red ripples and red laces.god,i thought i was superman in those shoes

Blowin commented Thursday, 7 Feb 2019 at 5:19pm

Holy shit .....Ciaks !

Like mutant boat shoes. I just remember my mum looking at me heading off to a blue light in my Ciaks and a pair of corduroy pants with alternately coloured flouro legs and pissing herself laughing.

Branno - Never want to grow old by Cosmic Psychos. Also Thankyourmother for the rabbits during a Bells segment in a Sarges movie.

They also got a run in “ Real axe Across Australia “ by Creed Mctaggart . Showed them playing live at Adelaide. Good movie .

The Herro Oniell vid was better than Momentum . Saturday Night Palsey !
Apathy !

Well here we at the last verse. (At the last verse)
I've lost interest....

philosurphizingkerching's picture
philosurphizingkerching's picture
philosurphizing... commented Friday, 8 Feb 2019 at 4:53pm

A brass band called Meute - Hey Hey
Warning ..... Tuba solo.

Ninah Cherry - Kong
Her voice sounding as good as ever.

Roxy Music - Out of the blue
Excellent live version
Roxy Music - Tara
From the same 2001 concert
Roxy Music - Remake REmodel

Blowin commented Sunday, 10 Feb 2019 at 5:16pm

Mixed pair .

One to get down , one to get back up ( Fuck yo couch ! )

Rick James :https://youtu.be/QYHxGBH6o4M

Rick James and Eddie Murphy/ Charlie Murphy: https://youtu.be/Z63dJbcl1VU

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Sunday, 10 Feb 2019 at 4:49pm

That man's a habitual line-stepper...

Blowin commented Sunday, 10 Feb 2019 at 5:10pm

What did the five fingers say to the face ?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Sunday, 10 Feb 2019 at 5:15pm

Oh dear...

Blowin commented Sunday, 10 Feb 2019 at 5:17pm

Slap !!!!

Blowin commented Sunday, 10 Feb 2019 at 5:28pm
factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum commented Tuesday, 12 Feb 2019 at 12:28pm

Nova Scotia's pop punk/punk pop finest.