7 books you will psyche on and should totally read: What Youth

stunet started the topic in Monday, 17 Feb 2014 at 9:08am

Here's a list that gladdens. What Youth and "7 books you will psyche on and should totally read."

I often bemoan the fact that good writing is a dying art. It ain't necessarily true but it sometimes feels that way. The yoof, it always seemed to me, could buy a Canikon for a couple hunge, flood the 'net with images, and call 'emselves artists - easy! But unlike photography there's no shortcut to good writing: no autofocus, no colour correcting software - it's hard fucken work. And the first step toward it is to read lots and lots of great writers. So yeah, glad to see the yoof - What Yoof! - spruiking seven good books. Bit limited in scope and style but a good list nonetheless.

goofyfoot commented Thursday, 3 Jan 2019 at 10:29am

Let it go Lil’ Cryp.
Start the year off fresh.

stunet commented Thursday, 3 Jan 2019 at 10:38am

Thanks for the heads up on 'Scrublands', GF.

zenagain commented Thursday, 3 Jan 2019 at 11:20am

Up until recently I was never without a book. I'm sad to say the internet has really curbed my reading.

This year I resolve to read more.

Has anybody read 'Perfume' by Patrick Suskind? I heard it's pretty good.

Watashi wa metabo oyagi desu.

stunet commented Thursday, 3 Jan 2019 at 11:30am

Excellent book that one, Zen.

Good NY resolution too.

Blowin commented Thursday, 3 Jan 2019 at 12:05pm

Same here , Zen.

I would only read 10percent of offline content compared to what I used to . Sad. A few months without regular internet last year was a dream .

Perfume is a great book.

stunet commented Thursday, 3 Jan 2019 at 12:45pm

But the movie is a stinker...

zenagain commented Thursday, 3 Jan 2019 at 3:53pm

Ha ha!

Watashi wa metabo oyagi desu.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum commented Sunday, 13 Jan 2019 at 1:45pm

A long and excellent and essential piece by Bruce Pascoe. Great voice, great writer.

Blowin commented Sunday, 13 Jan 2019 at 2:13pm

Interesting.

I’ve not read Dark Emu , but I’ve heard mention of the accounts of indigenous houses within it. Anyone ever encountered a traditional aboriginal house or evidence or remnants of , in their travels ?

Kellya's picture
Kellya's picture
Kellya commented Sunday, 13 Jan 2019 at 2:28pm

Have read Biggest Estate by Gammage. This is next on my list.