What's what?

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon started the topic in Friday, 6 Nov 2015 at 7:48pm

AN ALL-ENCOMPASSING KALEIDOSCOPIC JOIN-THE-DOTS/ADULT COLOURING BOOK EXPERIMENTAL PROJECT IN NARCISSISTIC/ONANISTIC BIG PICTURE PARASITIC FORUM BLEEDING.

LIKE POLITICAL LIFE, PARTICIPATION IS WELCOME, ENCOURAGED EVEN, BUT NOT NECESSARY.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 1:32pm

On a tangent, the ABC, SBS and also The Conversation website have published steaming piles of hagiography on George H.W. Bush.

Has anyone seen a balanced obituary on Bush in the mainstream Australian press?

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus commented Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 3:09pm
AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM commented Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 7:14pm

Interesting read I focus - it even touches on both positives and negatives.
I was intrigued by the suntan lotion story - I’ve worked for some rich and powerful people, including the guy who is now supposedly Russia’s wealthiest man, but with the exception of Sir Phillip Green, I’ve never heard of someone at that level being such an obnoxious cunt.
But back to my point, how under the thumb is Australian media, especially with regard to global politics aka our subservience to the U.S.?
Unless we’re talking about sledging Trump, but that’s a whole nother story.

truebluebasher commented Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 9:54pm

News: Liberal Party to ordain Saint Scomo
Libs reach new low kissing Scomo's ring.
Win/Lose/Draw Lib PM to be unsackable!
Bloody closet Communists!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy commented Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 10:01pm

His Grace! impossible! what dead!
Of old age too, and in his bed!
And could that mighty warrior fall?
And so inglorious, after all!
Well, since he’s gone, no matter how,
The last loud trump must wake him now:
And, trust me, as the noise grows stronger,
He’d wish to sleep a little longer.
And could he be indeed so old
As by the newspapers we’re told?
Threescore, I think, is pretty high;
’Twas time in conscience he should die
This world he cumbered long enough;
He burnt his candle to the snuff;
And that’s the reason, some folks think,
He left behind so great a stink.
Behold his funeral appears,
Nor widow’s sighs, nor orphan’s tears,
Wont at such times each heart to pierce,
Attend the progress of his hearse.
But what of that, his friends may say,
He had those honours in his day.
True to his profit and his pride,
He made them weep before he died.

Come hither, all ye empty things,
Ye bubbles raised by breath of kings;
Who float upon the tide of state,
Come hither, and behold your fate.
Let pride be taught by this rebuke,
How very mean a thing’s a Duke;
From all his ill-got honours flung,
Turned to that dirt from whence he sprung.

Jonathon Swift on the death of an equally reprehensible character

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus commented Monday, 3 Dec 2018 at 11:21pm

Andy I wasn't surprised when I was in the US in 87 on my way south witnessed and experienced that behaviour at all levels some thing I hadn't in Oz.

Bush was ridiculed in the press on occasions both as VP to Reagan and President.

As for Trump his behaviour and the administrations ructions serves up so much material its ridiculous just watch some of Sarah Sanders answering questions totally out there so much so its painful.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno commented Tuesday, 4 Dec 2018 at 8:18am

I've read some damning obituaries so far, pics of Iraqi soldiers burned alive in their convoys, etc.. Being the only survivor of his entire squadron as a naval aviator was remarkable though.

Slight change of topic, have any of you noticed what is going on in France? Bloomberg link follows, although there are better links elsewhere depending on your political slant:

It appears that Macron, in raising fuel tax and banning diesels from areas to make good on his climate change pledges, has ignited a real working class revolt. It has spread to the cities (targeting wealthy suburbs straight up and elitist art galleries); it (like the autists at 4chan) are internet organised and have no leaders so cannot be negotiated with, and like 1789 it has begun to attack and torch government buildings. But it is protecting French monmuments like the flame of the unknown soldier, and communicating this to the French military. The protesters include grannies in wheelchairs, the young - French people haven't rioted like this since the late 1960s, and they are holding the Tricolor high.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan commented Tuesday, 4 Dec 2018 at 12:35pm

Go the french, gotta love em, no left, no right, no leader, just le let's fuck shit up

le fail macron

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy commented Tuesday, 4 Dec 2018 at 1:04pm

When I think of Bush I can only remember the hubristic certainty with which he ordered the liberation of Kuwait. Absolute confidence matched by almost complete ignorance. I had, coincidentally, been reading The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, T.E. Lawrence's account of the rebellion of the Arabs against the Turks during World War 1. What struck me then was that they were about to destabilise the complex web of relationships that not only held Iraq together but that provided stability to the entire Middle East.
This struck me with such force and conviction that I immediately became involved in the tiny demonstrations against the war and ended up being ejected from the Senste for disrupting the "debate" on sending Australian forces.
People were appalled at my opposition. They saw the righting of an injustice. I saw an uncalculated risk with forseeable consequences. Consequences that flowed through a wealthy Saudi called Osama, and Bush's own son. Between them they created a catastrophe matched, in terms of lives lost, only by Hitler's decision to invade Russia.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno commented Tuesday, 4 Dec 2018 at 2:22pm

A very good summary BB. I watched as a young teenager the war start live on CNN while visiting my grandfather's south London home, having no idea of why it was happening.

Back to the vests, the irony of a mandated OH&S requirement that is forced on the population by a central authority (the vests) are being used as the visual symbol of resistance, is quite fitting. Very 'V for Vendetta'. Apparently some were going to negotiate with the Govt, but after death threats from others, have cancelled the meeting - and thus the movement cannot be co-opted. It will form and dissolve as it does. It is leaderless. And the protesters have 84% public approval!

truebluebasher commented Tuesday, 4 Dec 2018 at 7:12pm

Both Father & Son Bush were slaves to Big Oil
Right hand man Halliburton CEO Cheney runs US Foreign Policy(1989-2019)
Cheney was Dad Bush's Secretary of Defence + Son Bush's Vice President
Halliburton's No tax(Sanctions-No worries)+No bid cross govt/Defence contracts

Cheney vacated CEO July 2000. Defence stock options continuing to soar sky high.
Dick Cheney without opposition contracted himself as leader of the free world.
His Tax free sanctioned enemy defence contracts are the only rock solid contracts.
(2009)10yr Defence contracts are US top secret no bid clauses >2019 (Got a pen?)

truebluebasher commented Wednesday, 5 Dec 2018 at 2:41pm

Vicco gangland prisoner's penthouse swap fast tracks car parking offenders wing.
Minister swears underbelly lawyer scheme was designed to end Vic housing crisis.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump commented Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 6:11am

Ryan’s Toy Reviews is the #1 Youtube earner for 2018. He’s worth 30 million, and he’s 7. Anyway, enjoy your day at work, and let me know if you need any more evidence to prove you’re doing life wrong

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug commented Thursday, 6 Dec 2018 at 6:51am

To make us feel better Shoredump, it was only $30m between June 2017 and June 2018 alone, according to Forbes. His YouTube channel launched in March of 2015. I'd better get ready for work, drive through the shit traffic and deal with aholes at the office. My peanut butter sandwich should taste good at lunch though, already looking forward to it.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum commented Friday, 7 Dec 2018 at 4:26pm

speakin' of YouTube, here's this weekend's evil ear-worm...

truebluebasher commented Friday, 7 Dec 2018 at 8:06pm

We survived the earily similar 70's infestation

truebluebasher commented Friday, 7 Dec 2018 at 8:53pm

Another earworm from the same family! Careful now... this one comes with a [WARNING].

truebluebasher commented Friday, 7 Dec 2018 at 9:27pm

I think your ready for full grubby downtown earworm assimilation.
This was the most upfront in your face song of the 70's.(By a 15yr' old girl) & Yes! Music by Crass

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum commented Friday, 7 Dec 2018 at 9:55pm

I like the cut of your jib, TBB

truebluebasher commented Friday, 7 Dec 2018 at 11:28pm

Thanks factotum! (Bumpin' off chix in the prog spoken word theme!) as above vid.
Some Deadly Folk singalongs...Seasons in the Sun/Rocky/Livin next door to Alice.

Oddly the weirdest 70's cult like song about death became the most iconic of all...
Don't Fear The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult.(Impossibly so dark we all had to love it)

truebluebasher commented Saturday, 8 Dec 2018 at 12:47am

Deadly Secret Music Theme to Las Vegas Harvest Concert.
I'll only share/keep this here.
I dedicate this song to the victims {R.I.P}
Neil Young's ... Harvest Moon was Stephen Paddocks guiding end-song!

Play the song with the Lyrics @ Harvest Moon Concert & locale of his lost love story & it all plays out.
All roads & timelines lead to this song at that location on that night.
This Song fooled this sick hunters mind into orchestrating his justified seasonal harvest.

It's not right to go into detail but once figured you could then recite his words for each intended target
Only because It invites you into his world & that's not sane.
Yes! Of course I conveyed the larger detail to relevant authorities.

Safe to say the song is now more emotive than ever... knowing what we now know.
Again! For the Victims {R.I.P.} Mindful It makes it hard to listen to!

truebluebasher commented Monday, 10 Dec 2018 at 11:25am

Master of Ceremonies would have to be the late Jon English.
I couldn't let this chapter close without the gentle giant looming large.

Hollywood 7 was an epic tale of sparkle to ash. I mean like Wow!
Didn't Jon haunt every chick on the block singing that song.

It was written by MOR songwriters Gloria Sklerof/Harry Lloyd
There was a reason why it sounded so downtown.
Gloria was asked to write an "Urban Story Song" for an artist who just had a hit.
That artist being Terry Jacks with his Suicidal penned ditty 'Seasons in the Sun'
Yeah! I touched on that above. Hard to imagine Jacks belting out this number.

The song is fictional co/written with a chix perspective in mind...(rare for he day).
Hollywood 8 was the actual freeway motel that sung better with Hollywood 7
Gloria imagined what sort characters would check in there so the plot thickened.

Gloria was thrilled when she heard Jon's voice...
'As a writer, I was very proud of Jon's version.'

Early '80's I was in Punk Bands that screamed blue murder & end of the world.
Writing about Chix being bumped off was another level.
These songs are in a rebellious class there own & not a fizzer amongst them!
These avant garde '70's Frontline Chix songs stand the test of time...(Credit to all)

OK! Time to segue back to mundane Silly Season Punk Politico
Sounds like a Job for The Members...Sound of the Suburbs

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum commented Monday, 10 Dec 2018 at 3:45pm

Interesting. I was given the 12 inch of The Members' 'Radio' the other year as a 'secret Santa' gift.

Anyway, here's another song from 1982...more befitting the theme?

truebluebasher commented Monday, 10 Dec 2018 at 6:40pm

Hardcore factotum, most are familiar with Specials "Ghost town" the year before.
A song about the London race riots but this AKA number slipped by.
Pretty sure that's the first spin for me...thank for sharing
I love the casual nature luring the listener to part witness to the vile act.

Here's a few more of the sharp tongued girls political commentary of the day

1978 Johnny Rotten's fav X-ray Spex (Poly Styrene) as the street poet of the day.
Germfree Adolescents was on constant rotation in every Punk hovel
The most insightful songwriter to this day(Selfies/DNA/Encryption it's all there)
Throw in the best licks + beats & killer punk sax & it's not leaving the turntable.

1979 The Slits 'Love & Romance' (happy wife song) virtually coined cutting edge.
Viv Albertine singer /songwriter was actually born in Oz but grew up in UK.

1981 Poison Girls 'Persons Unknown' alerted State Powers trialing Anarchists
Singer/Guitarist...Vi Subversa was aged 46 when she recorded this wake up call.

1982 Nina Hagen 'Smack Jack' was mostly written by addict/father of her child
Careful you don't get hooked on The hook with this cry for help.(Potent stuff)