Desert Storm surfboard

caml's picture
caml started the topic in Monday, 13 Jul 2015 at 2:06pm

Desert Storm shapes by Wayne webster

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig commented Friday, 13 Jul 2018 at 5:10pm

Awesome, good luck and let us know how you go!

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Saturday, 14 Jul 2018 at 4:02pm

Very curious to hear more, Goofy. Guessing you'll be very happy.

Today was even better than yesterday, and the DS went like a dream. Clean 2xOH.

goofyfoot commented Saturday, 14 Jul 2018 at 9:01pm

IB, it was a little bit big for the beachie I surfed today, lots of closeouts, duckdiving/bailing and getting pushed out of position.
Hopefully during the week is better.
Awesome you scored though! Well done

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba commented Sunday, 15 Jul 2018 at 7:23am

So what sort of bottoms on these DS.....? and are the rails thick or rolled off.?

simba

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Sunday, 15 Jul 2018 at 12:26pm

Light vee in front half running into spiral vee (or vee double concave, if you like) on the shorter ones. Vee all the way on the big beasts. Makes for a very smooth ride.

Flat deck, but rails are tapered a bit. What I'm trying to say is, that it's a high volume 3" board that feels like a normal 3" board in your hand.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba commented Sunday, 15 Jul 2018 at 11:19am

thanks ib

simba

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Tuesday, 17 Jul 2018 at 8:43am

One more yesterday: 4ft semi closeout, but powerful, beachie. How good is it to get in early and set up the barrel to annihilation!

drodders's picture
drodders's picture
drodders commented Thursday, 19 Jul 2018 at 7:53am

I just had my 6'10 in Fiji. We had a week surfing Frigates from 2-6ft, the trades were up, had glass off periods occasionally, DS left my short board for dead in the wind, especially off the top turning back into the wind. I surfed as the 2+1 from 2-4ft, was loads of fun, then as a quad on the larger days. Worked well as both. Very similar wind conditions (strong) to the Illawarra that drew me to the DS in the first place. I could confidently take this as a one board quiver to Fiji or other places with grunt.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Thursday, 19 Jul 2018 at 8:24am

On ya, Drodders!
And how good does that momentum feel when setting up a big section, ay.

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam commented Wednesday, 8 Aug 2018 at 8:26pm

Great reviews and in those windy conditions.
Its amazing how an offshore wind can make a heavy board become light and flighty from the updrafting wind on a big faced wave

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 commented Thursday, 9 Aug 2018 at 11:37am

nothing better than paddling into the wind on a big wave on a heavy board and feeling that momentum take you over the ledge

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno commented Thursday, 9 Aug 2018 at 4:00pm

Hell yes that's the best.

Heck's picture
Heck's picture
Heck commented Thursday, 9 Aug 2018 at 5:34pm

Hi,
Looking for a beefed up stepup for indo. Considering a DS.. Current stepup: 6'3 19'3/4 33.5lts. Looking for around same size but approx 36-38lts. I'm 5'8 height approx 70kg. Middle aged. DS? Or would this size DS 'defeat the purpose' of a DS. Realistically, looking at waves 4-6ft. Any comment/suggestions?
Cheers

Heck's picture
Heck's picture
Heck commented Thursday, 9 Aug 2018 at 5:55pm

Ps, nice looking 6'3 DS on webster surfboards insta/fb..

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam commented Friday, 10 Aug 2018 at 10:52am

Heck, have a look at the webster website in desertstorm section they show a basic table for measurements.

udo commented Sunday, 12 Aug 2018 at 7:49pm

8mm Paulownia skinned Desert Storm inspired
6'6 x 20.25 x 3' @ 43litre - ludberts insta

goofyfoot commented Sunday, 12 Aug 2018 at 8:14pm

Fuck mate please ask someone to show you how to put up a link

It’s getting ridiculous now and for some reason I find it incredibly frustrating that you refuse to learn!

udo commented Sunday, 12 Aug 2018 at 8:38pm

Yes. i agree.....tomorrow i shall seek assistance.
Only just learnt yourself eh?

goofyfoot commented Sunday, 12 Aug 2018 at 8:55pm

Ha ha I’ve known for a while now. But yes it took me a while.

You always have good info but it’s a pain in the arse to have to look elsewhere to see it!

udo commented Sunday, 12 Aug 2018 at 10:00pm

tayla hanak insta

goofyfoot commented Monday, 13 Aug 2018 at 6:08am

:-0

NoMoRubber's picture
NoMoRubber's picture
NoMoRubber commented Thursday, 23 Aug 2018 at 11:26am

Hi All Recently found the DS article while searching the interwebs and am looking for a little guidance on sizing. Hopefully someone's been in my scenario. Amazing looking board!

I moved to Singapore 2 years ago and have been revamping my quiver from fishes used on the east coast of the US, to boards meant for my most common surf weekend, indo. Was surfing boards in the 33 liter area but recently bought a 6'6" @39.

So sizing reco's is 2 fold. 1st off with a new baby my workout routine had went into the toilet. Over the last 18 months have seen myself go from 6ft and a fit 83 Kg's, to at my grandest 93 Kg's :O.
Secondly to add salt to the wound I dislocated my shoulder surfing Sumba in late April. On the bright side with PT I've been in the gym + swimming 5-6 days a week.

So sizing wise before the Sumba trip I hadn't considered anything longer than a 7'0". I was on a 42L 6'10",and was consistently dropping in late, missing waves, & generally eating doughnuts in the solid OH to 2 x OH surf. I'm sure a major part of the prob is me being out of shape, but I jumped on a borrowed 8'6" gun and my problems disappeared.

The guy I borrowed the board from suggested getting an 8'0" but then I saw the DS & figured a 7'6" would = your typical 8'0" guns foam. I'll get the weight off but am more concerned abut making life easy on my shoulder. Considering there's minimal current to deal with in indo do you guys think I'd be able to deal with a 6'10" @ 48 liters or should I go the full monty 7'6"? I'm above average in ability but prob only get a weekend in the water every 6-8 weeks if that helps. If anyone's had a shoulder injury would appreciate your insight.

Cheers

udo commented Thursday, 23 Aug 2018 at 8:41pm

Go the 7'6 ......

goofyfoot commented Thursday, 23 Aug 2018 at 9:34pm

foam is your friend

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus commented Thursday, 23 Aug 2018 at 10:22pm

Looking at getting a 7.0 next week but i am surfing 2 to 4 times a week as you are in doubt go 8.0 or more don't mess about

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 commented Thursday, 23 Aug 2018 at 11:00pm

Dolly Doctor maybe?

goofyfoot commented Friday, 24 Aug 2018 at 5:53am

Come on mate not everyone is a hard core west oz hell-man who never needed no pricks advice on nuttin

NoMoRubber's picture
NoMoRubber's picture
NoMoRubber commented Friday, 24 Aug 2018 at 10:48am

Funny enough I checked Dolly Doctor but got some weird results searching "board sizing after injury"...

Thanks guys I was leaning towards more foam. Hope to do a pick up in October

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight commented Friday, 24 Aug 2018 at 11:07pm

Interesting. There is a simple, but elegant, solution. A succinct, perhaps even zen like solution. So, in a nutshell, for those still coming to grips with, for those doomed to wrestling with their 'thickness', so to speak, and perhaps simultaneously those struggling with 'beaked' noses and highly polished, gleaming domed finishes, there is a solution. In the vein of the great ones, for those who require more hogey's heroes like, stupificational offerings, in a nutshell, its probably best to simply say... again...

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight commented Friday, 24 Aug 2018 at 11:08pm

'No'

morg's picture
morg's picture
morg commented Wednesday, 5 Sep 2018 at 1:41pm

I’m curious as to what size fins you would have on a 9.6 gun versus say a 6.6 or 6.8 step-up in bigger waves. Are they generally bigger or smaller, or is it one of those ‘it depends’ things. I’m 85 kg and like the Shapers ML driver quads in my step ups. A guy told me that the quad rear fins should have 50/50 foil too. What do you guys think?

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 commented Wednesday, 5 Sep 2018 at 11:35pm

Don't know about quad fin set ups but with thruster big boards you can use generally smaller fins (something equivalent to fcs g5 size or so, maybe even a slightly larger rear fin g7 can work too) in guns with narrower tails, less drag and the gunny/narrower tail provides the grip, really short wide tail boards bigger fins to control the speed generated from the width, although something like a step up 6,8 could run almost the same 5,s or 7,s . Not sure if fcs still make those models anymore but something close, glassed on work better in everything but that does depend on personal opinion as per quads I guess. I see a majority of new guns and guys who are getting their first big boards with quads but feel that may be fashion over function to a degree and will also depend on where you are surfing said equipment.

morg's picture
morg's picture
morg commented Thursday, 6 Sep 2018 at 10:08pm

Thanks Mike

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell commented Wednesday, 12 Sep 2018 at 5:08pm

Would one of these be good at 4-6 ft jakes in say 6'6 but pretty thick , in clean conditions and also messy conditions?
Ive put weight back on so my 6'9 is too thin for the rippy paddle at jakes and my other boards are too flat for the steep takeoff.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Monday, 24 Sep 2018 at 3:07pm

I've never surfed Jakes, sadly, but no issues so far with sucky waves. And the DS eats messy conditions for lunch, just glides through it.

Can't quite believe my DS. Got it for what I thought would be 2 or 3 times a month conditions, but I've surfed it more than 20 times in 2 1/2 months. It makes solid but messy days so much fun and lets you set up quick barrels at semi-closeout beachies. Super excited about all the places I want to surf it.