Gun craft with Chris Christenson - video

Swellnet Dispatch

He's the one man ground crew building frontier-busting rockets for Ian Walsh, Greg Long, and Twiggy Baker. When big wave surfers say they need confidence in their craft, what they're really saying is they need confidence in their shapers and it's a mantle Chris Christenson takes ever-so-seriously.

"When I build big wave surfboards, it's a like building a parachute," says Chris. "It has to work."

This clip is lifted from Walsh's upcoming biopic, Distance Between Dreams.

Comments

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber commented Thursday, 16 Feb 2017 at 11:49am

Great vid. More of this SN.

Simon Hayward's picture
Simon Hayward's picture
Simon Hayward commented Thursday, 16 Feb 2017 at 4:34pm

I was lucky enough to have Chris shape me a 7 foot Nautilus when he was in town last year. Amazing board that goes like a rocket in 2 foot to 8 foot waves (and beyond I'm guessing)
Super nice guy also is Chris!

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay commented Friday, 17 Feb 2017 at 2:35pm

Tell us more!
I looked very closely at a 6'6 Nautilus at OnBoard in Byron and was sorely tempted. Does it hold in solid surf? Still feel lively? Very curious.

Simon Hayward's picture
Simon Hayward's picture
Simon Hayward commented Monday, 20 Feb 2017 at 12:43am

Heya island bay, my Nautilus goes well in a range of conditions !! It's a quad with glasses in fins and when my back foot's over them, it will turn on a dime. I've ridden it in waist height to at least two times overhead and it has always felt solid and fast. I don't reckon you'll regret getting one mate! Chris is in town again soon, I'm sure you could get a custom one that would suit you perfectly. Chris shaped mine after we met when he was here last year. Turns out we have a mutual friend that we've both separately know for many years! We chatted about my surfing history, where I grew up etc etc and he shaped my sled that is spot on. Let me know if you get one IB?

zenagain commented Thursday, 16 Feb 2017 at 7:35pm

Great little vid.

Any relation to Kohl Christenson?

Ignorance is Zen

stunet commented Friday, 17 Feb 2017 at 2:49pm

There's a lot of similarities, both are softly spoken fellas of early-middle years, dark wavy hair, average build, and obviously keen on on big waves. However Kohl has an 'e' while Chris has an 'o'.

Christenson / Christensen