Website reloading.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming started the topic in Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 7:20pm

I don't know if its my end or yours, but Swellnet is the only website it happens with.

I hit the bookmaker link (i think it might do it even through google?…will try a few times)

Anyway i hit the link the page loads i get a fully loaded page all look good, then it reloads for some reason but it doesn't actually reload the page nothing comes up just blank page, i then have to highlight the web address and reload the page to get it to reload properly sometimes a few times.

Doesn't happen all the time but a pain when it does, has been doing it for the last few weeks.

Jut strange it only happens with Swellnet, never happened with other sites.

And my internet speed is fine download a movie most days within half an hour sometimes 15 minutes.

Any ideas?????

Detox's picture
Detox's picture
Detox Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 7:42pm

indo, im also down bass coast way and its bean happening to me lately. although where i am is shit internet

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 7:46pm

Not just you ID, regularly have to reload/refresh 3 times or more. Internet here is excellent and it's only Swellnet.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 7:50pm

me too ......... annoying but not as much as most of the contributions to forums!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 8:00pm
floyd wrote:

me too ......... annoying but not as much as most of the contributions to forums!

Ha ha :P

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 8:01pm

Okay well obviously a problem with the site.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 8:29pm

It may be that swellnet is running a cluster of servers and are in the process of code upgrade. This may explain why a reload tends to resolve the problem. Their back office team or hosting team should be able to resolve it.
Am using an iPad v9.2.1 (13D15) Safari

Stj's picture
Stj's picture
Stj Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 8:38pm

yep happens to me heaps

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 9:45pm

We are aware of the problem and are searching for a solution. Sorry for the inconvenience.

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Wednesday, 17 Feb 2016 at 11:49pm

Very often swellnet just drops out completely back to desktop screen, more on the old apple laptop but also on newer apple desk, has done this for a long time though, not a new prob , using safari ,only with SN

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 18 Feb 2016 at 8:50am

SN - check your load balancer (if you are using one).

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 18 Feb 2016 at 9:21am
tonybarber wrote:

Paging Gary G - Gary G to wardrobe please...

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 18 Feb 2016 at 11:42am
AndyM wrote:
tonybarber wrote:

Paging Gary G - Gary G to wardrobe please...

I dont reckon even Gary G would have a load balancer as complex as that used by web hosting systems.

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Thursday, 18 Feb 2016 at 1:44pm

It's true Tony, Gary 'The Load Balancer' G doesn't employ a particularly complex system, but it's certainly elegant in its beautiful form and simplicity. Really attracts the eye.

I particularly like your use of the collective noun 'Cluster of Servers' Tony, running all my webcams can regularly be a bit of a cluster!

As for helping some of you blokes with your reloading, I recommend taking zinc supplements - I eat a jar or two between scenes and am always able to perform when the lights are on.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 18 Feb 2016 at 10:00pm

Ahh G, you're like the rock of Gibraltar - in more ways than one I have it on good authority.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 16 Mar 2016 at 3:00pm

We think we may have fixed this problem. Is anyone still experiencing a white screen upon loading?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 16 Mar 2016 at 3:03pm

twas about an hour ago but right now ok

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 16 Mar 2016 at 4:25pm

Thanks Floyd. Might be worth clearing cache/cookies etc and then reloading your browser, just to be sure. If it pops up again please let me know.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 16 Mar 2016 at 7:20pm

Yeah was happening to the point that I didn't bother trying and just thought it was old system .
But never really had a problem on my phone .

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 16 Mar 2016 at 7:34pm

So far so good...glad it's fixed it was a real pain in the butt.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Wednesday, 16 Mar 2016 at 7:40pm

that makes two of you ..... hahah

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 26 Mar 2016 at 9:25pm

Is it just me?

But it's been doing it again today..Arggghhhh!!!

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 26 Mar 2016 at 10:01pm

me too

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Sunday, 27 Mar 2016 at 1:00pm

me too

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 27 Mar 2016 at 9:28pm

Happens to me too from time to time but more frequent this evening.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 27 Mar 2016 at 10:14pm

Getting something from the girl Zen;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 27 Mar 2016 at 10:15pm

Good work champ, it mustn't be fro zen then......

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 27 Mar 2016 at 10:16pm

Cold I mean..

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 28 Mar 2016 at 7:28am

Bugger. Our Devs thought they fixed this a few weeks ago, but I saw it last night too. Back to the drawing board board.. Sorry for the inconvenience everyone. We'll find the offending code soon!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 28 Mar 2016 at 8:54am

Dont know it's related or just me but the last two days, im having problems loading the pages, it goes direct to a "503 Service Unavailable No server is available to handle this request." message, like it hasn't even tried loading the page, took me quite a few trys just to get into this thread.

And Ive had no problems on other websites.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 28 Mar 2016 at 8:57am

Not just you Indo D

Its been doing my head in the last couple of days when i wake up and go straight to Swellnet and it goes to 503 Unavailable.. Then after about half an hour it works.

Thought may have been just me

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 28 Mar 2016 at 9:10am

ID and GF - that's a different error, which has just been fixed (looks like the issues started up late last week while I was OS, and culminated in this morning's brief outage - why do these things always happen on public holidays!).

Just got off the phone to the devs and they think they've fixed the outage issue (the website is back to normal at my end). 

Sorry guys - trust me, no-one is more pissed off about these issues than me - I'm doing my best to get to get them rectified but keep hitting brick walls. 

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 28 Mar 2016 at 9:19am

All good Ben, computers are frustrating as hell at the best of times.
Must be a nightmare when it's not cooperating!

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Monday, 28 Mar 2016 at 9:21am

Ben, the blank page issue is back. See what's changed after the 503 error. Maybe incorrect system settings. A device replaced ? Restored ?
Why does this happen on public hols - gremlins. You gotta feed them.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 28 Mar 2016 at 12:18pm

Thanks TB, it's a lot more tricky than "checking the system settings". But we're working on it.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Monday, 28 Mar 2016 at 5:03pm

Hey Ben, I had been getting those 503 error messages for a few days. Gone ATM / now.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Monday, 28 Mar 2016 at 5:04pm

Should add, I haven't had the 'blank page' issue at all.

I'm using Windows 10 with Firefox.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 28 Mar 2016 at 5:37pm

Been no issues today with either problem.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Monday, 28 Mar 2016 at 6:38pm

Yeah Ben, I was being a bit simplistic on your issue. I sense that your site is a hosted on third party virtual systems. So you may not have much to do with the systems side. Im sure you have a few engineers on the case but it does make it interesting when the issue is intermittent. (maybe not for SN)
You may have experienced the error displayed from a Cloudfare system which interfaces to the web site itself - hence something may have changed. I trust GoDaddy will get to the bottom of it.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Monday, 28 Mar 2016 at 7:31pm

Still struggling with the site Ben, and have been all weekend.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 1:20pm
tonybarber wrote:

I sense that your site is a hosted on third party virtual systems. I trust GoDaddy will get to the bottom of it.

Just FYI - almost every website is hosted on a "third party virtual system" these days. Even bigger companies with in-house devs/sys ops will still utilise cloud based services (i.e. Amazon Web Services).

As for Godaddy - they are simply our domain registrar, and nothing else. They have nothing to do with any hosting environment of ours. Surf forecast/surfcam websites are incredibly complex beasts, with a thousand moving parts - all of which require 24/7 monitoring. So, occasionally things go down. But it gives me comfort to know that Telstra - who are a smidge bigger than Swellnet - also experience outages of their own.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 1:20pm

Couple of questions for y'all re: white screen of death.

1) Does this problem happen when you are logged in? (for me, it never happens when I am logged in, only when I am logged out).

2) Is this happening on desktop computers, or mobile devices? (general feedback it's mainly mobile)

3) what browsers is it happening in? (general feedback it's Safari)

Thanks for your assistance!

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 1:53pm

1. Not sure, 2. Desktop for me, 3. Firefox

Detox's picture
Detox's picture
Detox Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 2:05pm

logged in
desktop
chrome

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 2:33pm

Really, Detox? You're seeing this white screen of death when you're logged in, on your desktop computer, using Chrome?

That invalidates all of the assumptions I have had to date!

Ahh.. the joys of debugging website issues...

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 2:36pm

White screen issue:
Logged in, iPad, safari
Talk to go daddy techos about a persistence rule on your web interface system - just an idea.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 2:49pm

Ben, cloud fare are the people to talk to. SN has two sub nets allocated to it - hence a balanced website.
Given that this issue is 'random' and as you suggested not likely to be dependent on OS, machine type or browser then it would the 'balancing' device used, maybe even the router.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 2:56pm

Mr barber, not a swellnet problem but im being fucking bombarded with 'script error' do you wish to continue running scripts...what the fuck can I do ?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 3:10pm
tonybarber wrote:

Ben, cloud fare are the people to talk to. SN has two sub nets allocated to it - hence a balanced website. Given that this issue is 'random' and as you suggested not likely to be dependent on OS, machine type or browser then it would the 'balancing' device used, maybe even the router.

We identified Cloudflare as being the possible cause many months ago (as the problem started around the same time we started using their services), but haven't been able to pinpoint the specific cause.

Yes, it's giving me a constant headache. And I ain't a developer either.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 3:12pm
udo wrote:

Mr barber, not a swellnet problem but im being fucking bombarded with 'script error' do you wish to continue running scripts...what the fuck can I do ?

Is that on Swellnet? Which page?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 3:16pm

Nah sorry Ben - nothing to do with swellnet page , just other random sites I go to....some days nil other days heaps, should have posted in an other topic