Surfcam commercials

surfman1000's picture
surfman1000 started the topic in Wednesday, 20 Jan 2016 at 5:41am

Watching the Yalls Cam can be quite annoying! the amount of commercials that come on now are a bit much - mostly right when you're keen to check a particular view. The webpage itself is already full of advertising. Any chance this can be reviewed?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 20 Jan 2016 at 6:06am

If you subscribe to Swellnet Pro, you'll never see another surfcam video ad again.

https://www.swellnet.com/signup

bodmas's picture
bodmas's picture
bodmas Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 4:22pm

Hi, nothing is free and commercials do need to generate click income, but 30 sec ads are just pushing it too far. The Vic zoo is a good example.
I actually started looking for other access to cams yesterday because it was so annoying.
Getting the right balance of marketing/incime and consumer benefit is difficult but maybe 15 sec may?
Roscoe

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 4:43pm

Here's a little known fact: we don't have a lot of control over which ads are run, as they are run by a third party.

However, "I actually started looking for other access to cams yesterday because it was so annoying" seems to be a lot of work to avoid a dollar fifty a week.

Especially when there's only one other website with streaming Victorian surfcams, and they'll make you sit through ads if you're not a subscriber too.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 6:52pm

I went to the hardware and bought a tube of silicone sealant on my credit card, came home, checked Swellnet and up came and ad for a company that seals leaking bathrooms.....so I don't know who you are using Ben but I can tell they are on the ball!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 7:05pm

Actually, it's all usually Google-based. If you've searched for anything online at all, chances are high you have used Google - and most ad serving companies dovetail (read: buy) into this data to 'target' ads their your way.

I see this all of the time, though to be honest the whole targeting-ads setup is sometimes misplaced - I sometimes see ads for things I have just bought (so, I am not in the market any more). But the ad servers can't determine at what stage of the purchase cycle you're at - so they assume you haven't made the plunge yet and keep pesstering you (across all kinds of websites, not just Swellnet) until you stop reacting (i.e. clicking through).

Two words's picture
Two words's picture
Two words Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 9:30pm
blindboy wrote:

I went to the hardware and bought a tube of silicone sealant on my credit card, came home, checked Swellnet and up came and ad for a company that seals leaking bathrooms.....so I don't know who you are using Ben but I can tell they are on the ball!

Similar on ball deeds are happening to me. I went for a drive in the desert, and now am besieged by desert storm commercials, even when I turn the tv on, or try to make a phone call. I tried deleting them, and got bombarded by quaddled nubster commercials as well. I never use quads, not since I thrashed a pack of quaddled slinging combatants (including toddlet) at a secret wave (not blax). So even homer was in the left behind pack, seemingly kicking and thrashing, the plethora of fins and nubbies dragging everywhere, as they simultaneously, craftily scissor armed for the thing), on the wave of the day, on the day of the decade (some, led by jervis, said century). The wave before, only half the size, I watched a pack of hassling, quadless, yet artificially quadded, nubbled, try hards, careening, skidding, colliding and screeching to their doom. Admittedly, a key figure in the quaddington movement was otherwisely busy, setting himself on fire, whilst smashing a geetar to smithereens and making a hit record. Well, almost a hit.

I've tried deleting again, and am now getting besieged by ads for all things pistol. Sepia pistols, special effects pistols, family pistols, replica pistols, used pistols, storming pistols, pistol squatters, etc.

Two words's picture
Two words's picture
Two words Monday, 25 Apr 2016 at 9:37pm

Gross!!! I tried deleting again and am now getting bombarded by adds about stretched rears.

Tim Tam's picture
Tim Tam's picture
Tim Tam Friday, 15 Jul 2016 at 4:06pm

Hi Ben,
I just joined swellnet pro yesterday to avoid web cam ads, yet today I have to sit through a westpac ad before the D Bah cam will load???

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 15 Jul 2016 at 4:21pm

Hi TT, you shouldn't be seeing any pre-roll ads on the surfcams. Can you confirm that you were logged in at the time? Can you email thgrough a screengrab to [email protected] so we can troubleshoot it? Thanks for your help.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 15 Jul 2016 at 5:38pm

Hey Ben, recently joined the subscription service and downloaded the app. Have noticed that the camera shots won't turn sideways when I hold the phone landscape style (as opposed to portrait).

My phone does it for everything else, texts, photos etc.

Is that something about my phone or the way that the camera links work. The cam shots would be much better viewed sideways, if that is something that can be managed from your end.

Thanks

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 15 Jul 2016 at 5:58pm

Hey BF, depending on what platform you are on, if you click the full screen icon, then the surfcams will switch when you turn the camera 90 degrees. It should happen automatically (and does in our development environment) but for some reason doesn't on public version. We'll have a fix for this shortly.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 15 Jul 2016 at 6:49pm

Thanks Ben.

bigtreeman's picture
bigtreeman's picture
bigtreeman Thursday, 1 Sep 2016 at 9:27am

see - no adds surfcam, yeah
I also tried Opera and Chrome browsers and was amazed with the amount of adds you poor people see all the time.
Works in Linux, probably Windoze and Mac