Ungrateful whingers

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 12:45pm

Yeah, that would be me.

I love Swellnet - Forecasts, education, cams, photos, stories , the broadest window on surfing in Australia , robust FREE discussions and a crew running the show that seem aligned with the interests and concerns of the average surfer. With a sense of humour.

And FREE!!

What more more could anyone ask for ? Well , is there any chance the site could be arranged so that the ads on the right side of the screen don't load last making the forums and comments section dance down the page so I'm forever loading up the wrong comment or an ad ?

Although It's probably great for your stats on promoting the businesses of your advertisers and therefore great for Swellnet , which in turn is great for myself and anyone else that enjoys the site.

Cheers fellas.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 12:47pm

Happy 'Straya day punters.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 1:13pm

I like the ad on this page, has a cute, busty, coquettish looking Japanese girl advertising, bra's, knickers and a grey dress with a plunging neckline. I'm not complaining.

I told my wife it was Australia day today and she said what was that. I said it's where Aussies go to the beach or have barbecues and drink lots of beer..

She said 'so what's the difference to any other day?'

I guess she has a point.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 1:16pm

It's a good suggestion Blowin, and will be taken on board as we undertake a redesign of the front end. Unforunately we don't have a lot of control over how the ads are loaded, or the time it takes for them to load. A better way to tackle it would be for a completely ad-free version for Swellnet Pro subscribers - this is something I'm considering

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 1:16pm

Thanks for the nice comments too.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 1:28pm

Just did a run up the coast road with the eldest. And what a sight it was. Never mind that it's wet and windy, all the available grass in every single beach park was occupied by flag waving folk of every possible colour and extraction.

The white bread doesn't go far in this part of the world.

Still, give it a few hours and the pissed up young'uns will start showing their patriotism by yelling at Indian cab drivers.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 1:34pm

Still, give it a few hours and the pissed up young'uns will start showing their patriotism by yelling at Indian cab drivers.

As I was saying in another thread, stu, where did these young'uns get that attitude from? Such is the legacy of the Howard era........
I don't like "flag waving"............ To me, that's not what Australia day is about.......

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 2:18pm

Attended a breakfast in a water side park as grey haired ladies sang out of tune Slim Dusty renditions over a PA . Not a flag to be seen. It was actually strange to see a mass grouping of Aussies in a social context without rivers of piss flowing. Then a countery and a beer.

Probably the first time in my life I've woken up wishing it wasn't a public holiday. Oh well, if you can't beat 'em....

No waves Stu ?

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 3:44pm

Re the "Flag Waving" It's the old story, it's not about the inanimate object (the flag), it's about the attitude & reasoning of those choosing to wave it or display it. I've seen several beach bbqs today with flags, all appear happy & inclusive. Can't paint everyone with the same negative brush.........

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 3:49pm

Plenty of swell, just not much quality. Saturday and Sunday had great conditions but I was on 24-hour child minding duties while the good woman enjoyed a yoga workshop in the city. Reckon she was coming down Bulli Pass at the exact time the southerly change turned the waves to chum.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 4:15pm

It was never going to be any other way Stu. Opportunity = Onshores.

bondisteve's picture
bondisteve's picture
bondisteve Saturday, 25 Apr 2015 at 9:51am

Ahh Haa!
Dear Mssrs Swellnet.
You have "The" great website(don't thank me!)
You have some of the best cams for sunsets in Australia.
To cut this post short could you see a way (as your competition has done) to adjust your cams a little skyward to take in these great winter sunsets. Such as your Byron cam. I'm sure there are others you could think of. I/we would thank you as generously as we could and the evening beer would pass just a little better.
Thank you.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 25 Apr 2015 at 10:02am

It's a lot of coding work to implement such a feature, for a tiny audience that is likely interested. Even as the sun is setting I'd still rather watch the waves.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 25 Apr 2015 at 11:13am

"At the going down of the sun, and in the morning
We will remember them.
Lest we forget."

The waves as well:)

bondisteve's picture
bondisteve's picture
bondisteve Saturday, 25 Apr 2015 at 12:44pm

Ahyeah...I was only thinking of aslight rise in the shot.
Anyhow...cool..TA.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 25 Apr 2015 at 4:46pm
Sheepdog wrote:

As I was saying in another thread, stu, where did these young'uns get that attitude from? Such is the legacy of the Howard era........
I don't like "flag waving"............ To me, that's not what Australia day is about.......

Totally agree sheepy & stu. flags, nationalism & howard & justification to fight in wars we have no business to be involved in.

Its odd, the more educated we become as a nation the less informed we seemed to be. Dumped down by the idiot conservative press. In my life I haven't agreed with Australia's involvement in any war, nor did my deceased father and he served 51/2 years in the jungles of PNG & the islands fighting the Japanese. It was his view if we aren't defending our soil we had no business to be fighting. Wise man.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 25 Apr 2015 at 7:47pm

For sure Floyd. You're the only reasonably minded person left in Australia.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 26 Apr 2015 at 7:34am

No, I'm sure there are many who hate the direction Blowin but like most of us I really know jack shit. Ever seen the movie The Thin Red Line? Look it up perhaps. There is a line in it .... "I see a different world".

bondisteve's picture
bondisteve's picture
bondisteve Sunday, 26 Apr 2015 at 10:16am
wellymon wrote:

"At the going down of the sun, and in the morning
We will remember them.
Lest we forget."

The waves as well:)

Love 'em! The sites/cams are great.