What's the quickest way check the surf report?

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Saturday, 6 Feb 2010 at 12:59am

There's a super quick way to get to your local surf report with one mouse click - just nominate the beach you want on your profile, then all you have to do is click the 'Surf Report & Forecast' tab on the top navigation bar.

Here's how to do it:

1. If you haven't already, create an account with Swellnet. Click here, and follow the email prompts.

2. Navigate to your "account" (the link at the top left of every webpage, next to your username).

3. Once you're in your account, click on 'Profile' and then 'Default locations', as per the image below.

4. Here you can select your default surf report, surf forecast and surfcam locations.

5. Finally, click 'update', and your profile will be saved.

Once you've done this, all you have to do to check your local report page is to click the 'Surf Report & Forecast' tab on the top navigation bar on any Swellnet page, and it'll take you straight there.

conjob's picture
conjob's picture
conjob Saturday, 6 Feb 2010 at 1:38am

What with the two choices on the northern beaches, Manly and Mona? Is that where each actual report will be coming from or just the area?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 6 Feb 2010 at 2:11am

Actually, none of our surf reports are meant to be beach specific - they're all meant as a regional focus. In some locations, this is unavoidable (ie Bondi), however for the most part we've tried to choose the best location name to describe the area.

Surf report locations are also selected based on population density and coastline, hence the need for two reports on the Northern Beaches (in fact, we were considering three at one stage). We'll continue to assess the need for additional reports based on the feedback we receive from everyone.

However, in the case of Manly and Mona Vale, we chose these two beaches because "Upper Northern Beaches" and "Lower Northern Beaches" sounded a little silly (as did "Northern Northern Beaches", and "Southern Northern Beaches"!).

We then thought of naming the reports based on council region (Manly, Warringah and Pittwater), but then realised that surfers outside of Sydney wouldn't have a clue where Warringah and Pittwater were. Therefore, we chose Manly and Mona Vale as they're the two biggest surfing hubs (industry wise, at least) along the Northern Beaches. They also probably the two of the least-sensitive surf spots on the Northern Beaches too.

As for the locations they cover - Manly covers all beaches between the Bower and Collaroy. Mona Vale covers all beaches between Narrabeen and Palm Beach (we'll soon put in these geographical boundaries for all surf report locations).

ranga94's picture
ranga94's picture
ranga94 Saturday, 6 Feb 2010 at 10:41pm

yer hi nice work with tha site. this quick way seems really kool but it didnt work (central coast) plz help

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 6 Feb 2010 at 10:49pm

Hmmm.. should be working (was yesterday).. let me look into it and I'll get back to you ASAP.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 7 Feb 2010 at 9:05am

Just fixed a few small bugs in the system.. should be working OK now. If anyone's not being redirected to their default location, please let me know.

reeflingo's picture
reeflingo's picture
reeflingo Sunday, 7 Feb 2010 at 9:50am

Yep, site looks awesome ben!

tamsy's picture
tamsy's picture
tamsy Sunday, 7 Feb 2010 at 11:15am

quickest way for me and for any others.. if you live close enough.... hop on ya pushy and go check it yourself.

nuckenfutz's picture
nuckenfutz's picture
nuckenfutz Friday, 12 Feb 2010 at 12:02pm

Yeah, gotta agree. It is a great new site although, I also liked the old one, but having all the forums and blogs is a plus. I just hope all the RealSurf nutters don't start pushing their Sydney egos around on the forums.

scot's picture
scot's picture
scot Tuesday, 16 Feb 2010 at 1:30am

thanks for that ben, its much better now. Can you make the Coolangatta weather point to the right Coolangatta tho. its still pointing to the town near nowra.

Cheers,
scot

huntie's picture
huntie's picture
huntie Thursday, 24 Jun 2010 at 9:45am

Swellet is a great site for everthig surf

Their forcasts are useful for forward planning .... but the best place to go for the day is the Australia Bureau of Meteorology - BOM

Everyone else gets there info from them

The Bureau gives you regular updates for abservations every 5 minutes and for forcasting every 8 hours

The wave bouys are good for accurate wave info ... but you usualy have to take off about 40% of whatever they say for when the swell actually arrives on the shore

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Sunday, 6 Mar 2011 at 11:48pm

drive to the beach

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Friday, 20 Jan 2012 at 1:45pm

when i wake up i go out onto my balcony to check the surf. its pretty easy. i dont know what all the fuss is about...

bushy's picture
bushy's picture
bushy Wednesday, 8 Feb 2012 at 10:11am

not everyone has that luxury to walk out there balcony and check the surf.i look out my balcony i see houses and more houses.

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Thursday, 23 Feb 2012 at 9:20pm

you should move out of your commission flat then

old grey's picture
old grey's picture
old grey Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 8:03pm

love the new site , but I still enjoy just getting in the car and looking around for a wave on the Mornington Peninsula ( vic ). enjoy looking at the site seeing which part of country has the best wave's

andr3w6's picture
andr3w6's picture
andr3w6 Wednesday, 6 Nov 2013 at 10:26am

having trouble nominating a default report. when i click on 'my account' i get taken to a page with two tabs. the first is 'view' which just has my username, photo and history. the other tab is 'edit' which has options to change password, add signature etc but no profile or default locations. am i missing something? cheers. great site btw!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 6 Nov 2013 at 10:30am

Andrew, just got to a surf report - any location - and you'll see a small green box just down on the RHS which says 'Set as favourite'. That should generate a link at the top of the page.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 6 Nov 2013 at 10:32am

BTW, I'm not that happy with this 'favouriting' system so we're going to replace it with something better positioned and with more functionality (so you can save more than one favourite surf spot). Hopefully we'll have this extra functionality in the next couple of weeks.

Also, I just realised that this thread was a 'how to' from the old website! So to avoid any confusion I'm going to close it.