Mentawais in December or January

suds's picture
suds started the topic in Thursday, 27 Sep 2018 at 3:08am

I'm looking for info about whether the Mentawais are worth a trip in the off-season. Thinking either a land camp or boat. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay or charter boats and also what the surf would be like on average please? I've been there before in February but think I was really lucky as we scored Rifles, A-frames and Macaronis. Just looking for info as it's a long and expensive haul from Scotland. Thanks

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters Wednesday, 3 Oct 2018 at 6:20pm

There’s always a bit of luck involved even if it’s high season. I’ve been up there in late Feb and that was a good trip. But it wasn’t huge. Arvo’s were really clean and we had some great sessions during the magic hour before dark. Maybe it was the tides, I’m not sure. On a positive you’ll be getting away from a northern hemisphere winter. Take a book or two. You’ll probably be sitting around a bit but at the same time you always get waves.

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters Wednesday, 3 Oct 2018 at 6:21pm

Aura Surf Resort is open all year. A good place, I’ve stayed there heaps of times

suds's picture
suds's picture
suds Thursday, 18 Oct 2018 at 1:27pm

Thanks for the advice Robin. I'll have a look at that. Definitely nice to thaw out from our winter! Cheers