Corey Graham, son of Russ

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Thursday, 6 Sep 2018 at 9:28am

This morning a great post from Corey Graham appeared on Instagram, with childhood recollections of playing in his fathers fatctory and a photo of the old boy.

Good stuff...

A post shared by Corey Graham Shapes (@coreygrahamshapes) on

A picture of my dad in the seventies, note the gloves, mask and foot wear!!! Bloody legend..

I was lucky enough to grow up in surfboard factories, seeing every part of a board being made. I remember at night picking the resin off dad's legs while watching TV to shouts of "stop it". When i got sick and had to stay home from school mum and dad couldn't afford to not go to work so my sick days would be spent at the factory, cutting out logos and drawing up fins on fin panels as all the fins were made in house at that time, also the time dad forgot I was there, locked up went home and left me there (happy memory! but not at the time).

the gratitude I have for this man and the up bringing I had I can't quite eloquently describe, except to say that I owe everything!

Thank you Bob Smith for sharing this picture. .

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 6 Sep 2018 at 9:33am

And if you're not already following Corey on Instagram then more fool you. Picture a Venn diagram with craftsmanship, originality, and functionality, around the outside and where all three meet is where Corey Graham is operating. He deserves to be more widely known than he is.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 6 Sep 2018 at 9:42am

“He deserves to be more widely known than he is.”

Maybe his customer service is holding him back.
About a year ago I was super keen to get a twinny made off him as they look amazing.. I tried getting in touch with him through email and Instagram
numerous times over a two month period. Never got one reply.

Tried again recently, same deal.

Not trying a third time

jezza64's picture
jezza64's picture
jezza64 Thursday, 6 Sep 2018 at 9:47am

Agreed. Great to have a chat with too. Last time I was in there he ended up showing me Tom Peterson's measurements etc for his fireball fish. All drawn up on fish and chip paper. Would have been great to listen in on that conversation.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 6 Sep 2018 at 9:58am

GF, I've had a similar experience via email but managed to catch him at his factory, a no bullshit operation just a bloody fine shaper.

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Thursday, 6 Sep 2018 at 10:03am

Gary got a step-up shaped by Corey G last year for solid Bells and G Land.
Has now surfed it at both, and at a couple of other spots that I like to call 'Gary's', it's an incredible board. Gary really wants to get one of those twinnies too when finances allow.

Agree he can be hard to get a hold of, factory is best.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Thursday, 6 Sep 2018 at 1:39pm

I can attest to the quality of Corey G's workmanship after viewing Gary G's weapon up close. Even got to have a fondle too. Will be keeping Corey in mind for a custom board in the future. Worth going for a wander in his shop if you're ever down on the Surf Coast.

belly's picture
belly's picture
belly Thursday, 6 Sep 2018 at 1:49pm

If Bob Smith is following this thread, I'm the owner of Scott Dillon #599 ;-) hello!