The latest from Waterman of the Year: Dirk Ziff

crg's picture
crg started the topic in Tuesday, 7 Aug 2018 at 8:38pm

The award given to the Ziff's and his acceptance speech. Discuss.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 9 Aug 2018 at 4:38pm

Stu when you went in and did the numbers, that was journalism. And it was quantifiable. Has anything changed?

When it comes to what communicating surfing is, sharing its essence, I'm far more impressed by the writing styles of Parmenter, Sam George; grand stories of travel, the personalities met, new places, new oceans. Rabbit's "Vasco De Gamas" of a world increasingly hemmed in. The lighting in a momentous photograph. Design. My own tracks in the water. None of this has anything to do with the contest path.

BB is right that it doesn't float, but to my horror, neither does Tesla yet just this week it has created a mechanism to endure, again. Immortal tech and media corporations exposing joy and sucking the life out of it, insta style.

Lanky Dean's picture
Lanky Dean's picture
Lanky Dean Thursday, 9 Aug 2018 at 4:48pm

@blindboy
re Surfers and bland personalities
The surf industry doesn't really have a track record of hiring via IQ Tests or various forms of aptitude testing or general knowledge.(not that it's needed.)
Surfing was never counterculture, the surfers of certain periods ....maybe ?
to say that the WSL has created this is well.....

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Thursday, 9 Aug 2018 at 5:16pm

And over in the shadows, where no one is looking, just by the green pasture with the red bulls, the fruit of the rebel tour grows sweeter, and more ripe..

Roystein's picture
Roystein's picture
Roystein Thursday, 9 Aug 2018 at 8:52pm

On the money analysis BB

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Friday, 10 Aug 2018 at 12:30am

Got me twice in one week Blindboy.

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Friday, 10 Aug 2018 at 4:59pm

Stu or Craig , print Nat Ziffs speech and her reference to Bustin Down the door as her foudation for surfing culture , can't wait for the BDTD/ Pipe Masters next year!

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Friday, 10 Aug 2018 at 5:10pm

Dirk and Natasha deciding on the next leg of the tour..

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 10 Aug 2018 at 10:01pm

For some good clean fun the 'Bathwaterman Award' goes to...*Tubeshooter*

Don't be shy! Step on up to receive your WSL Soap on the Rope .(Applause!) Speech! Speech!
Imperialist comedic hack pampering our funny bones... Clean up your act Tubeshooter!

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko Saturday, 11 Aug 2018 at 7:15am

gold TS

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Saturday, 11 Aug 2018 at 7:22pm

What can I say ? It's a gift. Though ,,I'd like to thank the WSL for being the comedic fodder they continue to be . And making fun of Dirk is like shooting fish in a barrel.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Saturday, 11 Aug 2018 at 7:51pm

BB watching WSL is always troubling................for the soul, unreal surfing, great athletes often great waves but somehow the facade feels empty, your words ring truth thanks for the great summary.