Shortboard nose cones / protectors

scottishsponger's picture
scottishsponger started the topic in Wednesday, 1 Aug 2018 at 12:57pm

Anyone got any opinions on the efficacy of nose protectors on shortboards? Despite them looking totally crap, do they actually do anything or are they another pointless plastic surf accessory?

PaulG's picture
PaulG's picture
PaulG commented Thursday, 9 Aug 2018 at 9:11am

only used once to cover a damaged nose - I don't think they'd work as a safety device

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming commented Thursday, 9 Aug 2018 at 3:27pm

Do they still make them?

Please Stunet just give me that ignore button for Crypto (Herc, uplift or whatever other names he has used)

drodders's picture
drodders's picture
drodders commented Friday, 10 Aug 2018 at 8:04am

Why are surfboards so pointy, does that final 5cm make any difference to performance, should they all be rounded off to not fit in an eye socket...like a Webster DS

John Eyre's picture
John Eyre's picture
John Eyre commented Friday, 10 Aug 2018 at 11:00am

Better idea....Just use a rounded nose board instead of buying plastic.....Save a turtle from another stomach ache

spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack commented Friday, 10 Aug 2018 at 11:18am

@John Eyre
Absolutely agree . . . save a turtle/forget the plastic . . . start a hipster revolution to boot . . . as Greenough and Hodaddy Andrew Crockett have long pointed out (no pun intended) the pointy nose has absolutely no tangible benefits other than a contrived cool factor. Change the paradigm . . . it's about bloody time. Love my Powerglide - a Miller classic.

Stay salty

davannand's picture
davannand's picture
davannand commented Friday, 10 Aug 2018 at 7:19pm

Would of been handy on a resent overseas expedition where the luggage handlers thought it would be a good idea to launch my double board bag out the back of a A380 nose first......I did have it protected, but obviously not good enough.

davannand's picture
davannand's picture
davannand commented Friday, 10 Aug 2018 at 7:24pm

Would of been handy on a resent overseas expedition where the luggage handlers thought it would be a good idea to launch my double board bag out the back of a A380 nose first......I did have it protected, but obviously not good enough.

Latest News

Watch: Kelly Slater on the Joe Rogan Experience

Stu Nettle

They've got opinions and ain't afraid to air 'em.

Watch: Gabriel Medina's steady rise

Stu Nettle

"He's not here to make friends...he is here to compete." So says Black Cloud Charlie in this mini-doco on Gabs Medina.

Watch: The Occ-Cast with Taj Burrow

Stu Nettle

Occ and Taj loosen up with a quick skydive before sitting down for business.

Curl Curl Boardriders win Gromtag Qualifier on home turf

The young'uns from Lump Lump claim a local victory.

Italo Ferreira wins Portugal, world title race goes to Hawaii

Julian Wilson and Filipe Toledo are tied for second place as they chase Gabby to Pipeline.

Watch: Sheldon Simkus // Twenty

Stu Nettle

Keeping score with Mr Simkus.

Wilson survives, Medina thrives, and Toledo scuttled at the Portugal Pro

Recap and results from a big day at Peniche.

Facebook faces lawsuit over juicing viewer numbers

Stu Nettle

Last night 570,000 people viewed four foot Portugal, this morning Facebook faces a lawsuit over dodgy numbers.