Leg Cramps

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Monday, 21 May 2018 at 1:46pm

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 21 May 2018 at 2:00pm

I think there was a forum on this before but I couldn't find it. I received a sharp and extremely painful reminder of the issue a couple of weeks ago that left me hobbling around for a couple of days. I hadn't had any problems for a couple of years so it was out if the blue. Anyway, I have done my crash course on cramp avoidance and thought I might share it (again). Number one: stay warm. Get out of the water at the first shiver, muscle performance and coordination decline rapidly when shivering starts so you might as well go in. Assess your wetsuit. Is it really doing its job. Stepping up a grade (3/2 to 4/3) can double your time in the water before shivering starts. Number two: arch support. Ditch the thongs and the Converse. It makes a difference. Number three: warm up. No, not those pathetic static stretches on the high tide line that do the job (sorta) in summer. Think exercise bike, light weights and dynamic stretching. Number four: the evidence is weak for Magnesium supplements but what that means is that while they don't work for most people, you might just be one of the lucky ones.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Monday, 21 May 2018 at 3:10pm

Magnesium made all the difference for me - I put that down to boozing regularly.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 21 May 2018 at 4:42pm

yeah i used to get really bad cramps in toes and hammys etc and trial and error, start with magnesium chelate cause its the best .Potassium also,just got to see what your body needs.
Nothing worse than being in Bali say and as you take off you get a cramp in your leg and pearl and are now under water trying to swim up with a severe cramp can be real scary.I found you can drink too much water which washes the salts out of your body so be careful cause you can die from drinking too much water of all things.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 21 May 2018 at 4:51pm

Always happens to me on the take off simba.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 21 May 2018 at 5:02pm

Arch support, BB? Lately I've pretty much given up wearing shoes. Largely it was driven by laziness - I dont have to wear shoes to work so I dont - but then I was down the IGA the other day and a person I know commented that I'm always 'earthing' which makes the whole process of eschewing footwear sound quite spiritual. Gives it a nobility I hadn't considered, so I went Googling to find out what other facts could bolster my earthing argument and I read that it's actually quite good for your feet and posture.

Yet when I 'earth' there's no arch whatsoever, and hence no support.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 21 May 2018 at 5:17pm

Mind the toes, but I got this shot a while ago. A friend pointed out I was earthing and also googled it.

Must be good for ya :)

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 21 May 2018 at 5:20pm

David Wolfe got a vid about that.\ Earthing thing

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Monday, 21 May 2018 at 5:27pm

I get calf cramps too, when it's cold and I'm tired. Especially on roll-in type takeoffs where I arch my back and hence tense my calfs.

Re arch support, here's my $0.05: They just make your feet weak and flat, as they keep your arch muscles from doing what they're supposed to.

I started running steep Wellington hills in reasonably flat shoes (Inov-8), and I went from flat feet 284mm long, to strong arches and 277mm feet (I'm a skier, and boots are a science - that's how I know).

A colleague had plantar fasciitis and used orthotics. I gave him the same advice, and he's now pain free and running much better.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 21 May 2018 at 5:42pm

David Avocado Wolfe is into earthing??

Tomorow the brogues come out.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 21 May 2018 at 5:49pm
freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 21 May 2018 at 6:05pm

Magnesium is absorbed more easily through the skin in a hot bath.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 21 May 2018 at 6:07pm

Interesting simba but I would be a bit careful getting started on barefoot running! Maybe leave the 100km for week 3. More importantly I think runners' cramps are a different problem as they are linked to muscle fatigue. This is not an issue for surfers.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 21 May 2018 at 6:24pm

BB na my knees are too rooted these days but like Stu above i didnt wear shoes for years ...earthing.....until your knees start fukin up.Went off track there about the cramps.
Anyway i haven't had a cramp for a long time where as before it was every surf or even lying in bed ,so stretching,build up magnesium levels and for me potassium.......and as Freeride said above mag cream is good just rub it in or a bath .If you still get cramps take more mag ,you will end up with the runs if you take to much so just just bring the dose back.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 21 May 2018 at 6:35pm

Barefoot is good. It is thongs and flat soles that are the problem. If you can go barefoot so much the better but if you are on your feet or walking in shoes, arch support is the go.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Monday, 21 May 2018 at 8:22pm

once your cold the blood flow to areas like you feet and calves slows down and thus less oxygen to those muscles. oxygen deficit is a well known cause of muscle spasm.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 21 May 2018 at 8:55pm

I agree with that happy. For surfers cold is the main cause.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Tuesday, 22 May 2018 at 6:17am

Whisky is absorbed very easily in a hot bath!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 22 May 2018 at 8:46am

Whoops, missed a big one - hydration.

Fleazool's picture
Fleazool's picture
Fleazool Tuesday, 22 May 2018 at 12:23pm

A banana & water pre surf seems to work
The cold catches up eventually though

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 22 May 2018 at 1:30pm

Yeah I eat a banana every day and drink lots of water. Hardly suffer from cramps unless a huge weekend of surfing and usually because of dehydration.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 22 May 2018 at 4:41pm

Wait a few years, I never had a problem until my late 50s.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 22 May 2018 at 5:21pm

I used to get this as a grommet, probably due to a combination of dehydration associated with overfrothing. Hasn't happened for quite a while now though. 

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Wednesday, 23 May 2018 at 8:20am

stretch the soleus(sp) muscle. stand near wall. foot back and bend knee to touch the wall. have hands flat against wall while having knee bent/foot flat. aim is to get toes up to 14 cms away from wall while bent knee still touches wall. very hard- i can get about 8-10 cms. obviously do each leg. This exercise enabled me to stay bodysurfing as it releases tension in calves and all the way up through the back. Hope it works for you, lifesaver for me. happy surfing.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 23 May 2018 at 9:50am

Dave this stretch was recommended to me for treating plantar fasciitis. Works well

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Wednesday, 23 May 2018 at 10:50am

Gary, who loves to feel the burn, would consider that comment a sick burn to the earthers.

(Edit: This was supposed to be a reply to Udo's post about David 'Avocado' Wolfe)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 23 May 2018 at 11:14am

I find that a regular stretch of the corpora cavernosa greatly reduces bodily tension and increases overall well-being.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 23 May 2018 at 1:25pm

Blowin, I should say we had guessed as much.....but that might be taken as an insult.

Dave. That stretch is now part of my warm up. Thanks

jezza64's picture
jezza64's picture
jezza64 Wednesday, 23 May 2018 at 1:41pm

I always have a Pocari Sweat before a surf in Bali, works for me.
Apparently Pocari is Japanese for ball..........

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 23 May 2018 at 1:48pm

No insult, mate.

The millions of soldiers , sailors , fifo workers and other individuals that don’t suicide annually will attest to it’s efficacy.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Wednesday, 23 May 2018 at 6:15pm

Is that done while sitting or laying on your board blowin?

Kiera Serpens's picture
Kiera Serpens's picture
Kiera Serpens Tuesday, 28 Dec 2021 at 2:23am

So why did it happen to you? Was there an issue, or what?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 19 Feb 2022 at 6:34pm

Had a major calf muscle cramp in the water today. Wave count was about average, surf session wasn't overly long, I didn't feel dehydrated, and water temps were around 25 degrees.

Only thing I seemed to have missed was eating a banana.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 19 Feb 2022 at 6:39pm

take magnesium Ben

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 19 Feb 2022 at 6:47pm

Agree with Magnesium and some Himalayan Salt in your water bottle or a few crystals under your Tongue.

troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy Saturday, 19 Feb 2022 at 8:14pm

Banana and salt was what i always used but yeah what simba n udo already said,add magnesium to the mix and you'll notice the difference

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Saturday, 19 Feb 2022 at 11:19pm

Ben could be electrolytes / hydration or a few other things but unless its a regular occurrence I wouldn't get to worried.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Saturday, 19 Feb 2022 at 11:33pm

Could also try some Karma Rub Liquid Magnesium Ben

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 20 Feb 2022 at 8:01am

Thanks everyone, looks like I'll have to head down to Magnesium R Us sometime today.

Still a little tight this morning, it's amazing how it just suddenly hits out of nowhere, turning a pleasant surf session into an excruciating mission to get back in.

Weirdest thing of all - once I got to shore and stood on the sand, the muscle immediately contracted, like a button had been pressed.

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 20 Feb 2022 at 8:28am

Hydration probably..get a quality ORS, not a sports drink marketed as a rehydration drink. Also use iodised salt, most people are iodine deficient.
Also look to increase zinc intake. Some ORS will also have zinc as an ingredient. Coconut water for potassium, coconut also has electrolytes but other than potassium they are pretty low numbers.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 20 Feb 2022 at 8:46am

At the risk of being lazy (who, me?), can you recommend a particular product?

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Sunday, 20 Feb 2022 at 6:04pm

Skratchlabs, or Pure sports nutrition you should able to get from a good bike shop. Drip Drops..(best imo).

Don’t get a sugar free one..sugar is needed to aid the muscle to take up the electrolytes.

oxrox's picture
oxrox's picture
oxrox Sunday, 20 Feb 2022 at 6:55pm

I`ve used Endura Performance Hydration with great results.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 2 Mar 2022 at 10:04am

A little bit of magnesium supplements can’t hurt. Notice BB saying the evidence is weak, but your body needs it for lots of things so taking a bit ain’t bad. Hydration certainly good, but no need to overdo it. Those 8 big glasses or bottles a day is not science.

Had to Google David Avocado Wolfe, never heard of him. First page has ‘activated charcoal’ as one of its main hits - that’ll tell me all I need to know about him.

Tend to get my cramps body surfing with flippers on. Apart from Dave’s recommended stretch, just standing with your toes on stairs and allowing your heels to drop stretches those calf muscles out as far as they will go. Probably need to hold on to a wall or rail while doing it, but it’s an easy one to do and you can take it as far as you like.

Shivering, in the surf! Don’t do that anymore, have learned how to turn that response off after reading up on Wim Hof. Mind you, Sydney winter water temps aren’t that bad.

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Wednesday, 2 Mar 2022 at 10:40am

I'd try and strengthen your calves rather than stretching batfink.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 3 Mar 2022 at 8:09am

Cheers flow. Easy to strengthen and stretch. Stand on the stairs with toes on the end and heels out - pump up and down.

My calves are like granite. More likely a stretching issue for me, nearly always happens in my right calf, not left.

boransur's picture
boransur's picture
boransur Friday, 11 Mar 2022 at 10:22pm

I get calf cramps too, when it's cold and I'm tired. Especially on roll-in type takeoffs where I arch my back and hence tense my calfs.

boransur's picture
boransur's picture
boransur Monday, 14 Mar 2022 at 10:36pm

Re arch support, here's my $0.05: They just make your feet weak and flat, as they keep your arch muscles from doing what they're supposed to. https://www.surveyzop.com/wendys-lunch-hours/ https://www.surveyzop.com/

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Tuesday, 15 Mar 2022 at 6:08pm

Some people need the suppport. Otherwise their tibialis posterior can rupture. Then you'll see a flat foot. You can't generalise.