Wow.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 24 Aug 2018 at 4:24pm

That's weather, not climate.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 24 Aug 2018 at 5:24pm

They seem to have done it long enough to affect the microclimate of the local farmers, who have complained.

Craig, can you get Ben to use all the membership funds to put a big cannon on Heard Island and direct unlimited power on every front that passes it? For neverending groundswell reasons.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 25 Aug 2018 at 11:22pm

1888 Folks pleaded "Send 'er down Huey!" (Cloud seeding a surf God)
[CAUTION] A Surf God persona may be ever so slightly revealed.
As no human can speak of Huey's Origin without punishment of Death or no Last wave in!
The following passage is chalmed by burleybodybash'nbuny!p

Narrandera farmer Huie fired off cannons of shot into the sky so high to bring on rain.

Skylarker Clement Wragge was busy wiring up poles to highest Peaks for meteoric Rise.
As a true weather God he too fired off Vortex Canons. Still on display in Charleville today.
He's our joker that put life into weather by naming cyclones much like evoking Huey .

After building weather forecasting system Oz pollies denied Wragge his weather God job.
Mostly because he had the termerity to name torrid weather systems after blustery Pollies.

His name was shouted by seafarers across Oceans well before Huey...Damn you Wragge!

Wragge retired to Pacific Islands befriending mythical Giant Oceanic race who create waves. During Clement Wragge's enlightenment it's now clear he met & made a pact with Huey.
Who's name be shouted into sky or across seas mattered less that a Surf God should rise.

Ok! He who dares to blast the Sky must equally stir the sea to conjure up Surf God Huey!
Vortexer Huie's son was a pioneering Manly Bodybasher & State swim Champ.
Vortexer Wragge pioneered early Moreton Bay personal/rec' watercraft club (Canoeing 1887)

Yes! That's more enough thanks Burley barrelometerman.

Burleybarrelometer is considered some of Huey's earliest & finest work.(Now: WSR)
(How does it Work?) Let's ask the (1906) Surf Prophets...Cowabunga 2018 crew!
"Should the Burley Barrel echo the town then rain is around."
"Should the Burley Barrel sound the Southport Shore then fine weather is in store."

GC Weather 2018 (Zero* to 28*) is record extreme beachside temp range for GC winters.
You heard that first on swellnet . Shh! (Nights are Colder / Days are Hotter)
(Range has widened over past 5 years) (Most locals know that 4* to 26* is extreme)

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 6 Oct 2018 at 4:53am

We are ruled by morons, liars, parasites and f'wits.
https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/environment/2018/10/06/fact-che...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 8 Oct 2018 at 7:03pm

The new IPCC report that is in the news today.
http://report.ipcc.ch/sr15/pdf/sr15_spm_final.pdf

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 8 Oct 2018 at 7:24pm

Where's Scummo? Jesus wept...

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 9 Oct 2018 at 7:13pm

Here he is! Him and the rest of his COALition brothers and sisters!

Check this article. Actually, bypass and check out the comments.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/09/australian-govern...

What's interesting is that this article was put out there on The Guardian sites in the UK and US.

So, the comments are a bit of a snap-shot of how we're seen in the wider world.

Yeah, yeah, I know it's The Guardian, but still...it's not Oi! Oi! Oi! reading that's for sure.

Quite embarrassing really.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 9 Oct 2018 at 7:29pm

Personally, I'm glad that the COALition reactionaries have adopted this public position.

It will be a very clear election issue and voters will be in no doubt where each side sits.

It also shows the lies the COALition have told Australians over the last 5.5 years.

Seriously, after the complete debacle of the Abbott-Turnbull-Morrison years who could vote for them on any issue that matters.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 5:32am

Mid 20s in London. Walked out of a restaurant at 7.30pm in a t-shirt! Warmer tomorrow.

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Wednesday, 10 Oct 2018 at 8:20am

All well and good blinder, but if you're quick off the mark blinder, the puppets are still in full swing!!!!

'but it was then time to bring out the big guns — and boy, did she deliver.

On Tuesday the duchess joined husband Prince William for the Global Ministerial Mental Health Summit in London, connected to World Mental Health Day on Wednesday.

The event called for a sophisticated look, and Kate ensured that all eyes were on her by wearing a long-sleeved dress in a gorgeous shade of lilac. Avid royal-watchers may recognise the dress from her 2017 trip to Berlin.'

https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/kate-middleton-stuns-2-5k-dress-william-2...

Mental fuckin' health week they reckon!!! Mental health week!!!! F...FFS, please, somebody tell me I'm dreamin', tell me I'm fuckin' dreamin, you couldn't dream this shit aye... but... in a nut shell but... again!!! The cunts are completely mad, always have been but, the fuckin' westminsters!!!! You know what to do blinder!!!! FFFFFFAAARRRKKK!!!! Put ya back into it son!!!?? Oooooh nooooo... again... but with a difference aye!!! We lurv ya amesey!!!!

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Thursday, 11 Oct 2018 at 5:32pm

BBBBBLLLIIINNNDDDEERRR!!!! QUUUUUIIICCCKKK!!!!

Headlines ahoy!!! Big puppets are still in full swing!!! The 'climates' done a quick change!!!

Stunned mullets netted!!!

https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/kate-middleton-stuns-off-shoulder-2-6k-er...

Another 2.6 mill!!!! 5 odd mill in a couple of days!!! Never say the same thing twice!!! Say it with a difference but... in a nushell!!?? It aint fashionable!!! Stupe's boy amesy's on it!!!??

'we lurv's ya amesy!!!???'

'Collecting Photography: From Daguerreotype to Digital'... WTF... HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Its advanced aaayye but... its all we got!!!

Hang in there blinder!!!??? Change is on the way... again!!!! In a nutshell!!!?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 11 Oct 2018 at 6:46pm

The puppets are gone Crypto and they're not coming back, but I know you are a big boy and won't cry about missing them!

redmondo's picture
redmondo's picture
redmondo Tuesday, 16 Oct 2018 at 10:18am

The world will heal itself once the dark element is removed. There is no need for anyone to be in want, and free energy is already available. And we need to address many things.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 27 Oct 2018 at 10:01am
blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 2 Nov 2018 at 5:55pm

The Living Planet Report. Don't claim you weren't warned.
https://c402277.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/publications/1187/files/original/LPR...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 2 Nov 2018 at 7:58pm

An open access Nature article that provides evidence that 60% of the heat produced by global warming has been stored in the oceans. Warning - serious science!
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0651-8

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 7 Nov 2018 at 10:59am

Hmmm, weather VJ, not climate.

Wish I had something to put in the good news thread but alas.

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2018/11/22/global-warming-very-grim-for...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 7 Nov 2018 at 2:34pm

It's their future. Encourage your kids to join the protest.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/nov/07/australian-studen...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 30 Nov 2018 at 12:12pm

What joke. he will be the one on the dole queue after the next election
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/climate-change-protest-will-lead...

redmondo's picture
redmondo's picture
redmondo Saturday, 1 Dec 2018 at 2:57pm

Good to see the Indian pm doing yoga and the school children making a stand. Should be compulsory all leaders daily meditation and yoga.
We will take control and repair the damage. I have had enough of the madness, it is not my reality. I see beyond the physical, we are infinite and supreme poised for victory.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Sunday, 2 Dec 2018 at 9:47am

It continues. I’m laughing at the holes the pollies are digging themselves into with their reaction to the children’s nationwide protest against climate inaction.
“You should swear off ice cream for a year to reduce emissions” for example.
Hahaha FFS! Why? So you can keep mining dirty coal?
They’ve been caught with their pants down by a bunch of 15 year olds, and exposed as the inadequate leaders they are.
I’ll repeat the original demand. Move to 100% renewables you selfish short sighted bastards

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Friday, 7 Dec 2018 at 9:45am
H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Friday, 7 Dec 2018 at 12:07pm

Considering the relative spending/actions of the worlds biggest contributors to global warming, it would be interesting to see what could be achieved if a survival instinct such as that seen during WWII kicked in.
During the decade 1935-1945 we went from flying around in biplanes to jets, advanced rocket technology and (shudder) nuclear weapons. German technology played a big part in this .Although the post WWI reparations could be said to be survival, they were on their own frenetic purpose - victory , then avoiding defeat.
The point of this is that great advances/actions in eliminating the causes of climate change and the remediation its effects, could be made if only we could harness that instinct. We can achieve unbelievable things if we focus resources on a large scale.
Sooo......how , when each new day brings blue sky , and some petty pollie squabble in the media?
Good on the kids for having a crack I say!

redmondo's picture
redmondo's picture
redmondo Friday, 14 Dec 2018 at 8:12am

I am tree planting green extremest. It is painful to live in world full of lies and greed. Where the power hungry impose their will on others. Hold us back drag us down. The world won't shine until these dark ones with their Negitve agenda are dissolved. Most people don't have a clue what is going on.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Sunday, 16 Dec 2018 at 6:18pm
blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 20 Dec 2018 at 5:33pm

You can download the full CSIRO Climate 2018 Report at the bottom of this page
https://www.csiro.au/en/Showcase/state-of-the-climate

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 20 Dec 2018 at 8:57pm

Seen a sticker on a car today in the local shopping centre protesting coal. Same idiot left the car running with air con on dripping coolant while he went shopping. The outside temp was a scorching 24 degrees C . Way to go eco warrior.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Friday, 21 Dec 2018 at 5:04am

That CSIRO report was a good read BB. While everyone is discussing what we should all be doing and until Govts and leaders have an effective plan which neither party seems to have, lets just plant the trees back again. On one of my last trips west, I saw two tractors dragging a giant chain between them clearing hundreds of acres of land for crops or pasture. Not a tree survived. I watch farmers on TV being interviewed on their properties, dry and drought stricken. They are standing in front of a thousand acres with about five trees behind them in the distance and wonder why its so hot. Now I'm not all that bright, but when I was a kid at school there were two ways we got rain because I remember drawing the cyclic picture in geography. There was rain that came off the sea near the coast and rain that came from moisture evaporating off the trees inland. All these trees store the CO2 and also keep the ground cool,as well as shelter for stock and native animals. I don't really like Tony Abbott, but I liked his plant 6 million trees across the country idea to kick start something happening which may have continued to expand. Incredibly, the Greens shouted it down because I watched them do it on TV in parliament, they just want coal to stop and who doesn't , but why not plant the bloody trees in the meantime, why stop it going through?...My personal opinion is that 10% of all land in Australia should be under trees. That still leaves plenty of land to farm with a higher rainfall and cooler temps the by- product. Write to your local politician and tell them we want the trees back. Lets start with Big Tonys 6 million and go from there. While that's going on we can address the power generation solutions which are not hard ones along the way. God gave us all brains, lets use them.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 21 Dec 2018 at 8:33am

Hey Opto, there's a plant 20 million tree Program already well underway.
http://www.nrm.gov.au/national/20-million-trees

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 16 Jan 2019 at 10:13pm

This shoud get your attention.

Scientists found that the energy of ocean waves has been growing globally, and they found a direct association between ocean warming and the increase in wave energy.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-08066-0

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Thursday, 17 Jan 2019 at 12:20am

" however, a systematic, and global and long term signal of climate change in global wave behaviour similar to the global time series of sea level rise or temperature warnings , remain currently undetermined"
This is conjecture at best.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 17 Jan 2019 at 8:54am

The use of wave power as a way of assessing climate change over the long term is unproven, but the data on increasing wave power over many decades looks solid and fits with other existing data.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 2 Feb 2019 at 5:08pm

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v41/n03/mckenzie-funk/smoked-out

On fire:

“In Canada, the average area affected annually has doubled since global temperatures began their abrupt rise in the 1970s, and it is likely to double again by 2050. Quoting a favourite scientist, Mike Flannigan, Struzik lays out the three simple reasons for this. First, warmer temperatures mean drier forests. Second, warmer temperatures mean more lightning strikes. Third, warmer temperatures mean longer fire seasons.”

On cities

“The $40 billion, Dutch-built Great Garuda seawall in Jakarta, soon to be the biggest in the world, will displace thousands of shack-dwellers on an existing seawall and put tens of thousands of fishermen out of work – but it will give developers a chance to profit from selling luxury homes on artificial islands. The Eko Atlantic development on a peninsula off the coast of Lagos is patrolled by heavily armed guards and surrounded by shanty towns built on stilts where the chefs and nannies live. ‘Both Eko Atlantic and the Great Garuda,’ Dawson writes, with excusably escalating rhetoric, ‘offer visions of the extreme social injustice of emerging neoliberal urban phantasmagoria in a time of climate change.’ Just as Struzik makes it plain that some forests will just have to burn, Dawson asserts that some cities – Miami, for example – will have to be abandoned.”

On food

“‘We are headed towards climates that our crops have never before experienced. Global warming will give us climates that are pre-rice, pre-wheat, pre-potato, pre-agriculture.’ Even if Germany’s future temperature range becomes like that of Italy today, Italian crops are not guaranteed to grow in German fields. Soil and pests will remain different, and so too will the length of the days. “

On Science
“In early October, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, meeting in South Korea, issued its worst report yet: the consequences of even a 1.5ºC rise in global temperatures, as opposed to the previously studied threshold of 2ºC, would be widespread catastrophe. The worst effects – a mass die-off of coral reefs, coastal flooding, widespread food shortages – could come as soon as 2040, well within the lifetimes of most people living today. The report’s authors stressed that it was still technically possible to avert this through a massive transformation of our energy economy, but even they admitted that this was according to the laws of physics and chemistry, not politics.”

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 3 Feb 2019 at 12:39pm

As recently as yesterday Tony Abbott was quoted as saying that Australia's emissions didn't matter as they were only 1.3% globally. The fact that there are 20 other nations with similar emissions is apparently not worth considering in Abbottworld ..... that strange universe where he is a graet athlete (100th out of 104 In the Palm Beach - Whale Beach swim) and a competent surfer.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 3 Feb 2019 at 1:54pm

Im not against reducing emissions but he did have a point.

Our emission are nothing in the scheme of things us doing anything is pointless in a practical sense.

But that said if we don't reduces our emissions its pretty hard to expect places like China and India even USA to reduce theirs.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 3 Feb 2019 at 2:07pm

Aaaaaaagh! So we do nothing and the other 20 countries with similar emissions take the same view and that is 25-30% of emissions, but hey why not bludge on the rest of the world and let them do the heavy lifting?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 3 Feb 2019 at 4:25pm

I get your point and i don't really have strong views on the subject either way, unlike other issues.

But it could all be pointless if other countries also don't do as much, or if those 20 countries including us do something and then countries like China, India, USA don't do the same and we are disadvantaged by it economically, so we really need to find a balance.

IMHO if climate change is as bad as they say, i say we are screwed no matter what as the world will never agree to do what is needed.

So basically let hope they are wrong or over stating things.

Same with the coal debate, I'm all for solar and wind power etc but it's a bit pointless if all these other countries continue to build coal fired power stations especially if we then sell coal to them.

I don't know how true or accurate those things you see floating around on new coal powered power plants are, but if they are true then there could be up to 1,600 new coal fired power plants being built in 62 countries, yeah sure it up for debate what the real number is?...but even if its 100 new ones thats still pretty crazy, i mean we only have 21 in Australia as it is. https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/07/03/forget-paris-1600-new-coal-power-...

It's all really about weighing things up against each other and finding a balance and transition, it's also a bit harder for us in some ways, considering we have a god deal of coal, if we were like some countries that have little the decision would be easier.

Personally I think its obvious that we should be reducing our carbon footprint and moving more towards solar and wind power etc but i also don't think that should mean closing down all our coal power stations down tomorrow or putting our self at a disadvantage economically etc its all about finding a balance and finding a transition.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 3 Feb 2019 at 4:42pm

Indo, so you are OK with people paying for our mistakes for the next several hundred years? I mean we wouldn't want to suffer any economic loss over the issue would we. Reality is that reductions now can make a critical difference but this is it, after 40 years of politicians being told the obvious and doing nothing, this is pretty much last chance saloon. And your point about it being too late, well yeh, too late to stop some degree of change, but the more we put into the atmosphere, worse it is going to get ........ and the climate history of the planet shows it can get much much worse. Look up the great dying and see what happens when levels get out of control.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 3 Feb 2019 at 5:21pm

Im not against reducing emissions moving towards greener energy etc...

But the transition needs to be one that is realistic where we don't suffer economically etc it needs to be realistic transition and balanced and that may or may not including using coal power plants in the future (after the life span of existing power plants)

And even then, if those bigger countries don't come to the party we are screwed anyway.

Especially when you factor in population growth.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 3 Feb 2019 at 7:09pm

No economic disruption, just heatwaves, bushfires, floods, beach erosion, more intense storms. Indo the economic disruption from not acting earlier is already hitting us and is nothing to what it will cost, in dollars if you like (though lives lost and refugees created are a better measure) if we don't act now.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 4 Feb 2019 at 8:56am

If that was the case, no problem at all 100% support...

But i don't think its the case, i expect it much more complicated than that.

But again it's sadly pointless anyway when we are so insignificant in the bigger picture,

Our move is basically one we would do in the hope, it triggers others especially the big boys into doing something.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 4 Feb 2019 at 9:28am

Indo, that is the case. The hottest January ever, so many records broken the BOM aren't sure they have identified them all. Significant weather events all around the world. Last time I looked I think it was 8 out of the 10 hottest years ever have been in the last decade etc etc etc etc. Many of the refugees heading for the US border are climate refugees from a drought in Guatamala. We are not talking about the future we are talking about now. Nothing we can do will stop it getting worse in the short term but we can still have a huge impact in reducing changes into the future. Many of those 20 other nation with emissions similar to ours are poorer and have much lower per capita emissions. If we don't change why should they,? Sorry but your approach that our emissions don't matter is both wrong and offensive.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 7 Feb 2019 at 8:56am

Meanwhile we continue on our merry way leaving our children and grand-children to cope with the mess.

"Under current global government policies, we are heading towards 3 or 4 degrees of warming above pre-industrial levels, causing a significant amount of melt water from the Greenland and Antarctic Ice Sheets to enter Earth's oceans. According to our models, this melt water will cause significant disruptions to ocean currents and change levels of warming around the world,”

https://www.mcgill.ca/newsroom/channels/news/melting-ice-sheets-may-caus...

The paper is behind a pay wall on Nature.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 7 Feb 2019 at 9:57am

Instead of:

How about:

"Well, whaddya reckon about this then? The non-profit organisation Ocean Conservancy have been having beach cleanups since 1986, and they say that cigarette butts are actually worse than plastics. Check this article".

See mate, it's possible to have a robust debate without being a dickhead.

Give it a shot. Maybe it's something else that you'll be awesome at?

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Thursday, 7 Feb 2019 at 11:09am

Robust debate. Why am I reminded of that infamous Q & A when we had (then) Senator Malcolm Roberts 'robustly debating' climate change science with Professor Brian Cox.

Bad show. Bad forum. Bad structure. Waste of time. Meanwhile, the planet falls apart.

Actually, at least we've moved on to at least recognising that climate change is a real thing, yeah?

Progress!!!! Baby steps, but positive progress at least.

Huzzah!!!!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 13 Mar 2019 at 1:06pm

I encourage all students to participate in the School Climate Strike this Friday and ask parents to raise the subject with your children. What do you want another oridnary day at school or an experience you will remember and value for the rest of your life? The Department of Education is powerless to stop you, don't believe the bullshit. This is the same kind of moment that occurred with the Vietnam Moratorium. Be there! The link below shows the wheres and whens for your area.

https://www.schoolstrike4climate.com/support-us

Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness Sunday, 7 Jul 2019 at 9:46am

From The Monthly.
So what are you going to do?
Editor’s note
Last week it reached a record high of 45.9°C in France. Last month was the hottest June, globally, in recorded history. Chennai, a city of nine million, has run out of water. In the world’s northernmost town, Longyearbyen, average temperatures have risen 4°C in the past four decades, five times faster than the global average. Arctic ice is melting at an ever-increasing rate, and unprecedented wildfires have been burning across the Arctic circle in recent weeks – releasing as much carbon dioxide in just one month as Sweden’s total annual emissions. Scientists have reported that the amount of ice circling Antarctica has suddenly plunged from a record high to record lows. The climate, in other words, is changing. Rapidly.
The global political response to this climate emergency has been pitiful. In Australia, the government dissembles about its Paris Agreement emissions reduction targets, arguing that via accounting tricks and its own inaction it will reach them. Without a plan, it won’t – Australia’s emissions are in fact rising. Worse, the Paris targets are themselves dreadfully inadequate. Even if all countries hit their own targets, the latest science tells us that they would not prevent catastrophic global warming, well above 2°C.
Little wonder then that there is a global movement to disrupt politics-as-usual. As Scott Ludlam writes in his July cover essay in The Monthly, civil disobedience and nonviolent resistance are now the most responsible course of action. Dissent is required.
How much longer, he asks, will people quietly submit to the calculated ruination of the world? There is a tipping point.

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2019/july/1561989600/scott-ludlam/ex...