Samoa - Manoa Tours

geoffrey's picture
geoffrey started the topic in Monday, 23 Apr 2018 at 8:05am

Hi guys,

heading over to Samoa in July/Aug and gonna hook up with Neil from Manoa tours to motor us around in his boat to some waves. anyone had any experience with him?

geoffrey's picture
geoffrey's picture
geoffrey Monday, 23 Apr 2018 at 4:20pm

Hi guys,

heading over to Samoa in July/Aug and gonna hook up with Neil from Manoa tours to motor us around in his boat to some waves. anyone had any experience with him?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 23 Apr 2018 at 7:26pm

No but I was there at the same time of year and the trades are up early and severely limit options. I would be changing the dates if possible. We ended up surfing one spot every day, a short super sucky left that never got bigger than 3ft but still managed to break 3 boards in a week and do serious damage to one bloke's knee.

joesydney's picture
joesydney's picture
joesydney Tuesday, 24 Apr 2018 at 7:49am

Expect a lot of comments like “world class wave on its day”, this is however unlikely to be the day you are there....

wesley's picture
wesley's picture
wesley Tuesday, 24 Apr 2018 at 12:54pm

Neil is a top bloke and knows the island backwards. The sucky left comment above is very true, you’ll Surf there a lot but there are other waves around when conditions change and he’ll take you there

Willow995's picture
Willow995's picture
Willow995 Tuesday, 24 Apr 2018 at 4:34pm

Surfed over in Samoa late September/ early October a couple years ago so different time of the year. Went out with Samoa surf secrets and surfed a reef about 1k out or so. Kinda like a giant reef beach break with a heap of peaks.
The guy Nug who runs it is an Aussie and a good bloke cooked up a feed after the surf and also stopped to swim with turtles on the way in.

Worth considering if you want a change of waves. Its also a little further down closer to some of the sights like the trench and waterfalls then where Neil is based.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Tuesday, 24 Apr 2018 at 7:16pm

Neil is honest I found.

geoffrey's picture
geoffrey's picture
geoffrey Wednesday, 25 Apr 2018 at 8:24am

Cheers guys much appreciated. Unfortunately can’t change dates blindboy but advice given to me for this time of year was to hook up with one of the mobile operators to best escape the trades. Otherwise probably wouldn’t be using a guide

geoffrey's picture
geoffrey's picture
geoffrey Wednesday, 25 Apr 2018 at 8:25am

Also got told surfing high tide is best so booked trip when it’s high in the mornings before the wind gets up

saurusv1's picture
saurusv1's picture
saurusv1 Wednesday, 25 Apr 2018 at 12:33pm

Surfed Anganoa on the island of Savaii in April a couple of years back, was about 6-8 foot - swell comes out of real deep water and breaks on the reef. Worth a look if you are in the vicinity. There is a resort at the location too

daltz's picture
daltz's picture
daltz Thursday, 26 Apr 2018 at 2:40pm

Had good times with Neil and his trusty vessel. Good variety of waves around Coconuts, like the gnarly left. Good to have that option in the trades. Another one nearby that was like little av, another a bit like blackrock, though as stated gotta be there at the right time/tide/wind. Didnt get to surf plenty of spots cause of the winds, though he is your guy.
Say hi from OZ

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 26 Apr 2018 at 6:40pm

You will have a great holiday, surf whatever is available with not many out and chill in the most relaxed place on the planet. I surfed with Neil a couple of days and he is very knowledgeable and a more than capable surfer.