Cudgen/Kingscliff Farmland Under Threat- Help Required

davetherave's picture
davetherave started the topic in Tuesday, 17 Apr 2018 at 7:52am

G'day Swellnutters. Hope Stu and Ben support this forum topic.
If you have ever surfed the Southern Goldie and Tweed Coast, you already know how beautiful the countryside is. Behind Kingscliff is prime agricultural land that the NSW govt has decided to build a hospital on. If you like sweet potatoes, this is where they have probably come from.
There was no consultation on this issue. No one, not even the Tweed Shire Council was informed. Behind closed door dealing here maybe. I smell developers close by me thinks.
So very precious farmland will be taken, there has been no community consultation whatsoever, and it will create Traffic and Noise chaos for Kingscliff.
It's not good enough. There are 11 other sites that they could choose as well as upgrade the region's two hospitals and build a smaller facility on the Tweed Coast.
So if you think this is a pretty average performance by the NSW govt, please sign this petition so we can educate the govt on how to create infrastructure with the community's input and get an outcome that really works.
Once that farmland goes and the rezoning occurs, say goodbye to the Tweed's rural feel behind our great beaches
The link is below but it didn't copy so you will have to go to change.org or google Cudgen Farmland.
Thanks alot and may you enjoy some very happy surfing sessions, good vibes, dave
https://www.change.org/p/tweed-fruit-save-prime-agricultiral-land-in-cud...

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave commented Tuesday, 17 Apr 2018 at 8:15am

Can you please help me with this?

davetherave

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben commented Tuesday, 17 Apr 2018 at 8:35am

I don't live in Kingy, but the Swellnet office has been here for the last three years - and I've only heard whispers about this development in the last few weeks.

The farmland along the Tweed is a big part of the coast's character, and it'd be a terrible shame for it to be lost if there were viable options nearby (how about around Chinderah? Still close to the Tweed but adjacent the Motorway).

That being said, I do also understand the need for more services along the Tweed as the population continues to grow, so finding the right balance will be difficult.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave commented Tuesday, 17 Apr 2018 at 9:58am

thanks mate. I agree that the Tweed Coast needs services, but yes, let's use another site.

davetherave

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg commented Tuesday, 17 Apr 2018 at 1:16pm

Good luck Dave...this concept of major developments (particularly here in NNsw) being adjudicated on behind closed doors in Sydney without local consultation is disturbing. We're fighting a similar principle a little further south against the West Byron development. Over 5000 public local submissions against the proposal and word along the grapevine is it's already rubber stamped. Fight the good fight!

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher commented Tuesday, 17 Apr 2018 at 5:53pm

Local National Party member sells out the farm to LNP.
LNP bakes sweet potato cottage pie...A heap'n help'n for all local coalition farmers.

Promo/Biggest Tweed deal ever! Banora Point Bridge? Breakwalls had 4 Quarries?

(Kingscliff Site)
Hospital hugs [M1] + North/South arterial Coast road intersects East/West Range road.
Existing front door Bus Interchange routes with Murwillumbah/Tweed/Gold Coast Hospitals
Whereas nearby Kingy Farm sites require urban expansion of Bus Routes/Traffic Lights.

Clear elevated supply route west for 15- 20m Tsunami (Requirement for Evacuation Centre)
Sites South... Pottsville, Round Mountain, Hastings Point become stranded Islands in flood.

Kingy also fends off any Mount Warning/Coastal Ranges fires... While retaining access.
Kingy is OK with Traffic Lights...(Next south coastal traffic signals at Port Macquarie )

Attributes so rarely aligned so close to the beach.(Site is prime for any civic development)

Common sense also reveals
Valuable farmland falls to Whiteshoe retirement havens. Kingy Cnr new centre of town?
Land is prone to landslips and washouts.( Mega Project = Mega stabilization Blowout costs)
Hilltop Hospital may derail Tweed - Kingscliff Light Rail push.
Top of Town Hillside Bend is not the ideal site for the regions frail.
Carer costs/delays may skyrocket negotiating disabled patients on slopes.

davetherave I wish you luck but best consider a Plan B to claw onto Kingy culture
I doubt Public will get a say in Hospital site,but getting the hospital you need. Maybe?

Near all Hospital sites roll out endless non edible turf farms for vacant sculpture walks.
Kingy TAFE Saturday market gardens preserves culture(Setting a healthy precedent)

Kingscliff Hospital Garden/Cafeteria the first in OZ serving up fresh Sweet Potato Hot Chips?
Doctors may prescribe take home vege/potato packs from Kingy Hospital Gardens.

Priority Kingy (Community Garden patches) could be enforced into each redevelopment.
Previous Farmer Stalls to community owned. (Same Kingy soil/ produce & more variety)
Fresh Kingy Flowers would brighten up sick bay @ Kingy Gardens Hospital.

davetherave leading by example keeping Kingy in the game. Town needs more like you!

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave commented Tuesday, 17 Apr 2018 at 9:21pm

thanks tdoubleb. i am very confident that another site will be chosen.I can be very persuasive if I have to be, but it won't come to that. Geoff Provest will shortly make an announcement about how he and his govt listen to their constituents and are willing to change things to assist them. The sydney stadium re think, and now the Tweed Valley Hospital, shows that Geoff and his party, are the people's party. Sounds good hey.

davetherave

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather commented Tuesday, 17 Apr 2018 at 9:54pm

Ben, Chinderah floods at the drop of a hat, so you can't build essential services like a hospital in flood prone areas.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher commented Tuesday, 17 Apr 2018 at 10:17pm

Taxpayers would insist Hospitals be built closest to assist the most emergency patients.
Sadly we surfers are the most needy greedy bell ringers for a naughty nurse.

GCCC/SLSQ Gold Coast Lifeguards respectively treat 12,000/year each for 1st aid alone.
The Gold Coast Hospital alone treats 400 surfers/year @ $650 for each emergency visit.

Figures don't tally extra 5 beachside Emergency Hospitals treating most surf emergencies.
Add cost blowout of Spinal fractures/Facial Lacerations/Sprains needing transfers.

Surfers have the biggest stake in a beachside Hospital as the essential Surf Product.
Govt'/insurance could easily insist surfers need a Hospital no matter the make or model.
How clever are [LOCALS ONLY] to argue otherwise? Get well soon Kingy!

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave commented Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 6:14am

politicians love votes more than anything else. This issue is about the site. We are not against better health facilities, we are just saying, "good idea, wrong spot". So they can get their infrastructure trophy built and we retain good growing ground. It's a win-win for everyone- and of course a vote winner around here.

davetherave

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben commented Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 6:20am

Don, I’m aware of the flooding issue at Chinderah but there’s been some recent work done at Cudgen Heights where they’ve (at great expense, I assume) raised the ground level by several metres prior to development (you can see it on Tweed Coast Rd, just before the Kingy turn off). Perhaps this could also be applied for a hospital with a small footprint? Just a thought anyway. 

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher commented Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 11:29am

davetherave your force is strong and aim is true.
Clearly the biggest deal requires epic forethought...hence your asking & our assist.
Being across the facts will better enable your town. I can offer bare bones & no more.

With respect to lands of Saltwater Coodjingburra people.

Geographical Disaster planning is at the fore. Evacuation centre must survive tsunami/fire.
Set Flood Map Tool at 15-'20 mtrs' for alternate fullproof '24/7 accessible' Hospital sites.
On this matter allow Emergency Chopper access with free surrounds.(No Telco Towers?)
Sounds insignificant but Telcos own every mound in town & wouldn't budge for Hospital.
As said, I understand rail/tram planning is already on towns horizon.

Consider bigger picture of urban Seachange sprawl headed your way.
[M1] Coomera is next northern site for next bigger Gold Coast Hospital.
Ocean side Hospitals measure a constant 5 kms apart southward to Kingy.
Parkwood/Southport/Benowa/Robina/Tugun/Tweed/.......

Kingscliff is smack bang in the frame both geographically & population wise

However! I do agree Dave, that this site has obvious issues.
(A rising bend + downward landslip zone). Builders waving platinum compliance orders.
Construction Costs to ongoing site retaining issues can shutdown Emergency operations.

Kingscliff residents must consider future non scenic denuded dynamic of Cudgen Rd.
Site requires Overtaking/Bus lanes+Ambulance/Truck/Taxi slipways + Cycle/foot paths etc.
Widening of Cudgen Road will Terrace North face pushing building pads off the slope.
The site collapses into a money pit more so an ongoing burden to the community.
$300m Varsity Station stands testament to that. (Solid ground is worth it's weight in gold)

Furthermore should transit unions smell a trip or stumble hazard then they're outta there!
Safe to assume many Hospital patients have a disability requiring Busdriver's assist .
Busdrivers run a timetable. Should NSW Health Site fail driver safety. Then all Deals are Off!

Translink Qld ban bus stops failing Sight lines/ Wheelchair slope compliance.
Despite disabled commuters screaming to be let off at their local non compliant stops.
Transit shapes the viability of the site.This farmland site may prohibit a large civic structure.

Hospital will bank up Town's business/Student Buses with newly 'signaled' bypass delays.

Fair to say this farmland was cherry picked... being Isolated on north/eastern town side.
A more accessible site westward of intersection on Cudgen Road "may" provide better....

'Assuming urban utilities run east of Tweed Coast Rd then moving west burdens taxpayers.
Either way a hillside farm lies in the frame...Hot Potato! Hot Potato! (Love your work Dave)

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave commented Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 2:12pm

thanks TBB, as usual, you are full of great insights. IF there was nowhere else to build the SUPER HOSPITAL, well I might say okay, but that's not the case. I'm stoked that Health Services will be improved for the area, but not at the expense of prime growing land. A farmer doesn't put his house or shed on top of his best paddock. He/she uses the land in it's most effective/efficient way and in Cudgen's case, it's to grow produce.
YES TO NEW HOSPITAL. NO TO THE CUDGEN SITE SELECTED.

davetherave

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher commented Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 4:57pm

davetherave your kindness but mostly your on message catch-cry won me over.
Where do I sign? Count me in!

I did some more downtown research and what you say is true. "The issue is about the site!"
Proposed Hospital Site is zoned (State Significant Farmland). Please accept my apology!

Off the record the site across the road behind TAFE is zoned (Educational).
Hear me out! Boy will I get into trouble... With google as a guide!

The TAFE site appears as a huge blank canvas...Mindless open air [P] devalues the site.
Most classrooms are little more than a sprawl of knock-up Titan Sheds.
Soon as any Education Building of note rises adjacent then a TAFE rebuild will likely follow.

Level site is worth $Gazillions but near nothing with TAFE sprawling neighbouring site.
Site is zoned Educational meaning a Kingy University/Hospital/TAFE combo is possible.
State/Uni shares cost for Kingscliff's North Coast crowning Glory on best site in Town.
Taxpayers save half & Institute gets a leg up even state gets a state of the art new TAFE.
Community hangs onto it's youth saving a brain drain. Student Farm Garden stalls remain.

Kingscliff becomes centre for Health/Knowledge/ Research. Grandest entry to any town.
Soon enough your new King will patron his facility. Long live Kingy!

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher commented Friday, 20 Apr 2018 at 9:27pm

Congratulations davetherave!
Tweed Council voted 4-3 to knock it back.
(State Significant Farmland) mean't exactly that. (New Site to be sought.)
Check Tweed News for more.

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg commented Saturday, 21 Apr 2018 at 7:15am

Result! On ya Dave!

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave commented Saturday, 21 Apr 2018 at 8:48am

thanks crg and tbb. not over the finish line yet, but very close to getting a win-win.happy surfing.

davetherave

thatguy's picture
thatguy's picture
thatguy commented Saturday, 21 Apr 2018 at 11:06am

Yeah, fuck the sick people.

Latest News

Watch: Go Mad

Stu Nettle

31 years after mixing the original brew, Ross Clarke-Jones returns to share the Mad Wax formula.

Watch: Andy Irons: Kissed by God - Official Trailer

Ben Matson

Andy Irons: Kissed by God is a film about bipolar disorder and opioid addiction as seen through the life of three-time world champion surfer Andy Irons. 

Watch: Shipsterns Strike

Craig Brokensha

From WA to Tassie, Cabe Paparone captures a strike mission with Jarryd Foster and Jake Osman down to Shipstern Bluff. Featuring cameos by the local chargers.

Australian surfer Jae Haydon dies in Bali

Nicholas McLaren

The 35-year-old's body was found 12 hours after a broken board washed up last night near Padang Padang.

Watch: Brent Dorrington - Silent Wave

Ben Matson

Indo's been pumping for the last few days, and Brent Dorrington's been scoring.

Young gun Vaughan receives North Shelly call-up for Sailor Jerry Surftag showdown

Riley Laing has been in Indonesia competing at the WSL QS1500 Krui Pro and won’t make it back in time.

Watch: Through the pines

Stu Nettle

Chippa Wilson and Brendan Gibbens huck and slice through southwest France.

Watch: Raw footage from Nazare

Stu Nettle

UN forces storm Nazare.