Surfboards on Singapore Airlines

mackdog's picture
mackdog started the topic in Wednesday, 14 Feb 2018 at 5:19pm

Anyone flown recently on Singapore with board bags over 6’6 without hassles at check in.

I’ve got flights booked this year to the Maldives and was planning on taking my triple bag which is a 7’0. A bit of a look at their website says 200cm (6’7) is the length restriction. None of my boards will be over 6’6 but I don’t want to have buy a smaller board bag, especially if I can put the $350 towards another board.
I haven’t flown with them before and don’t know how strict they’ll be on this sort of thing.
And my triple cover won’t tape down to under 6’7 easily either
Cheers

beavis's picture
beavis's picture
beavis Thursday, 15 Feb 2018 at 4:51pm

I took a 7'6" coffin with them to Sri Lanka in Oct 2017. No extra fees.

This was their email.

"TThank you for your email.

In continuation to your query, We wanted to inform you that

In continuation to your query, we wanted to inform you that Your sporting equipment – such as surfboards should no exceed 2.6 meters in length.

On the other hand, In line with local Occupational Health and Safety rules, each of your checked bags cannot exceed 32kg. However, Singapore Airlines only permit the below allowable check baggage limit for passengers according to the cabin class they fly with:

Economy Class - 30 Kg

Premium Economy Class - 35 Kg

Business Class - 40 Kg

Suites and First Class - 50 Kg

Lastly since fishing equipment somehow falls under sporting equipment category, You may also visit this link:https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/au/travel-info/baggage/non-standard-b... to know more about non-standard baggage.

We hope that the above information helps with your query.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines.

Yours sincerely,

Benjamin

SIA Australia"

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 15 Feb 2018 at 4:56pm

Singapore to Maldives flights are Silk Air ?
Any diff to there baggage rules?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 15 Feb 2018 at 4:58pm

Cant remember but my fav airline, hostess are smokin, service is good, more room than many airlines, entertainment and food etc is good.

mackdog's picture
mackdog's picture
mackdog Thursday, 15 Feb 2018 at 7:50pm

Thanks Beavis
Looks like there is no need for a new board bag

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Friday, 16 Feb 2018 at 8:17am

Went Singa's last year to Indo took three boards 7'6 to 6'6 no hassle whatsoever great service too.

beavis's picture
beavis's picture
beavis Friday, 16 Feb 2018 at 9:21am

I always try get email confirmation before I book on whatever the rules are from their customer service regardless of who I'm flying with. The Singapore website is confusing. Might be worth doing for your route.
Happens all too often that the baggage check in staff have a different ideas, only thing that saved me from an additional $100 fee a few days ago flying home on Hawaiian.. But Singapore's def been the best airline I've flow with and didn't have any baggage issues.

thatguy's picture
thatguy's picture
thatguy Friday, 16 Feb 2018 at 7:47pm

I've flown with SIA multiple times taking boards up to 7'6 with no issues.

KON's picture
KON's picture
KON Tuesday, 8 Nov 2022 at 7:30am

MAD