Indonesian Visa 30/60 Day.

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch started the topic in Friday, 9 Feb 2018 at 2:06pm

My partner and I are planning a 2-3 month Indo trip this year. I just spoke to the embassy in Melbourne and had a look through the info on their website. To apply for a 60-day visa is quite the process - must have flights booked in and out of the country well in advance.

The plan is to be flexible, including when we leave from and return to Aus, so not really viable to apply for the 60 day tourist visa in advance. What are our alternatives? Is it as simple as flying out from an Indonesian airport to say Kuala Lumpar, walking out of the airport at KL, going around to the departures gate and getting on the next plane back into Indonesia with a new 30 day visa on arrival?

I'm sure this topic has appeared elsewhere on here, so my apologies if this is covering old ground.

Cheers.

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch Friday, 9 Feb 2018 at 2:16pm

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Friday, 9 Feb 2018 at 2:36pm

60 day visa not too difficult. It is more expensive than a free 30 day on arrival though but will same you money in the long run if you’re wanting to stay for 6 months. From memory the free 30 day visa on arrival can be expended an extra 30 days, after which you need to leave the country. The 60 day visa can be extended for an extra 30 days up to 4 times (so extra 120 days total). You MUST have a flight out of Indonesia booked for both the 60 day visa or the 30 day on arrival visas. So no difference there. Book a cheap flight from Medan to KL, 60 days after your arrival, and apply for the 60 visa.

If it’s your entry date into Indonesia that you want to be flexible with then there’s prob an agent in Indonesia who can help you after you’ve arrived on your free 30 day visa.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 9 Feb 2018 at 5:04pm

Pretty much everything carpertman says is true, except one thing you can't extend a FREE 30 day visa (i think technically its a visa exemption)

If you want a to extend a 30 day visa you have to actually pay for the 30 day visa, I've read before that you an still buy these as you enter, but id double check.

Tyborg's picture
Tyborg's picture
Tyborg Saturday, 10 Feb 2018 at 5:00pm

Thanks Carpetman and ID. The last time I went to Indo was in 2015 and I paid USD 25 for a visa on arrival. Can you now get a visa exemption on arrival for 30 days? But ID, you are saying pay for a 30 day visa on arrival and then find a travel agent in indo and have them extend it?

Cheers guys.

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch Saturday, 10 Feb 2018 at 5:06pm

Tyborg's comment was meant to come from me. Bastard was logged in on my computer.

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Saturday, 10 Feb 2018 at 5:08pm

I think the standard entry is 30 day visa free ($0) on arrival but, I’m pretty sure, at Jakarta and Bali airports they also have a visa on arrival desk where you pay ($30?) and can extend another 30 days. Like ID says you cannot extend the free entry. Both options are available when you arrive but for maximum flexibility the two month visa is the go.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 10 Feb 2018 at 8:39pm

The question is if you do buy a $30 day visa on arrival with the idea to extend it, do you have to show an outbound ticket?

I mean i assume you do, but if the date on your outbound ticket is for 2 months time instead of within 30 days how does that go?

I wonder if it's possible?

Otherwise it can be a hassle and cost money to extend or change a ticket date.

I mean they probably won't even look at the date, but sometimes they do have a good look, actually i got held back until the last person had gone through and almost not let into Indonesia a few years ago because i didn't have proof of an onwards ticket as left it with my wife who had flown in a week earlier.

Im going longer than 30 days this year but I'm just going to play it safe and get a visa from the Indonesian embassy a few weeks before i go.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 11 Feb 2018 at 1:55pm

Indo whenever i have plans of a social 180 day visa without a sponsor before i get there, i always buy a ticket to KL within 60 days but for voa would buy a ticket before 30 days as its only around $40 a ticket one way and ive never had any dramas.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 11 Feb 2018 at 2:00pm

one extra bonus of using a social visa is you by pass all ther massive quues of the 30 day visa people as theres one special terminal at the airport for social and hardly anyone is on it. saves you an hour or so.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Monday, 12 Feb 2018 at 10:20am

Last time I walked into that special terminal it took an hour and a half to get to the front counter. My mates had to wait over half an hour for me outside as they only needed 30 days.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 12 Feb 2018 at 4:44pm

Could be to do with jetstar passengers arent likely to be on social visas??? i dont know things might have changed.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Monday, 12 Feb 2018 at 5:05pm

Na, only fly jetstar. frequent flyer points, was about 10 years ago.