The fresh resin and fibreglass thread

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Monday, 22 Jan 2018 at 5:40pm

The rule around our house in 2017 was no new products. For 12 months we werent allowed to buy anything new - food and underwear notwithstanding - and that obviously meant no new boards. I held up my end of the bargain and in the first week of this year I visited Pato at PCC and place an overdue order, a 5'11-ish x 19 x 2 5/8 quad asymm. It's a slight deviation from the last asymms I got from Pato: the tail offset is 1/4 inch less and the fin offset is reduced by the same amount. Only had one surf on it but it felt fantastic.

On another note, I'll never fully get my head around why people buy off the rack models from big name labels. A visit to a surfboard factory is one of surfing's great pleasures, and in the age of computer shapes (almost) anything is possible regarding copying designs or shapes. Scrap the corporations, give the dusty old fellas your custom.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 22 Jan 2018 at 5:49pm

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 22 Jan 2018 at 7:10pm

Exactly stu.....why buy an over priced board made for some pro when you can go talk surf with a local shaper and get the smell the resin at the same time.....almost drug like ....love the hit of resin....anyway i wont pay $900 for a board.....fukem but i will give my business to a local shaper .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 22 Jan 2018 at 6:40pm

Nice board...why the old style Fin plugs ?

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Monday, 22 Jan 2018 at 6:49pm

Nice stu i put an assym order in on sat will chuck some pics up when i get my hands on it. Is this for freshies only picked an album assym up a few months ago on gumtree that kind of counts.

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Monday, 22 Jan 2018 at 6:50pm

Whats the concave setup btw?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 22 Jan 2018 at 7:58pm

@Udo

No real reason for the old style plugs, didn't actually think about them to be honest. I ride FCS, got a tub full of old FCS fins so Pato whacked them in.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 22 Jan 2018 at 8:03pm

@Reeso,

Pretty straightforward single to double. Nothing extreme, I ride similar versions in all my shortboards (save the occasional deep single in some Thrusters).

And no, this thread ain't for freshies, post anything up. It'll only be so long before Sheepdog's talking politics, BB's sniping Trump, ID is giving cryptocurrency advice etc etc.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 22 Jan 2018 at 8:32pm

Ya silver beets wilting Stu give it a drink

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 22 Jan 2018 at 8:43pm

I do, every damn morning. Perks up after the heat of the day.

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Monday, 22 Jan 2018 at 8:51pm

6’0 x 19 x 2 1/2 or so. Pu blank epoxy resin, stringerless with carbon rails. Has a pretty deep single concave running most of the way through to pretty flat through the tail. Fair bit of rocker most of my boards are a bit flatter with more subtle bottom shapes just from the nature of sunny coast waves.

Have only had under 10 surfs on it so far so hard to judge but theres enough there to order another assym next one is for smaller gutless waves but.

It has it’s conditions that it likes but thats more down to its hp shape really. Comes to life in good waves over chest high and struggles in waves without the curve to support the rocker.

Was thinking about assyms for a while read your comments and like you it made sense in my head. That translates for sure when i surf ive clicked on a few turns with this board and has blown my mind!

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Monday, 22 Jan 2018 at 9:07pm

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 22 Jan 2018 at 9:11pm

You have to right click the image and grab the copy image address link rather than the top browser, Reeso.

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Monday, 22 Jan 2018 at 9:12pm

cheers doggy

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Monday, 22 Jan 2018 at 9:23pm

and the rocker

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 23 Jan 2018 at 6:31am

looks like some serious nose rocker...any idea how much reeso?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 23 Jan 2018 at 10:07am

Yeah, lotta rocker there, Reeso - that sucker wants to be on rail.

Similar planshape as mine but way different fin set up. Truth be told I'm a li'l intimidated by those kinda fin configurations though I may start edging towards something bolder in the future. I'll see.

All that really matters is that you can picture the board working. It's much like putting a board under your arm and sensing how it goes. If it feels good you're halfway there.

What also shouldn't be discounted is the shot(s) of inspiration new designs can give you; how they open up new perceptions to design and free your mind from years of rote thinking. Keep tilling the soil.

Eric Geiselman on a version of your board:

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 23 Jan 2018 at 10:25am

Last 2 customs I got I was a bit disappointed with. Both boards had something to offer but they weren't what I thought I'd articulated with the shaper. Put it down to poor communication , put it down to whatever you want. I'll stick to the off the rack boards as what you're seeing is what you get. I don't have the inclination to keep returning to a shaper and giving him another go - at my expense - at getting it right.

Plus there's something about the instant satisfaction of walking out the door with a board you want without the weeks of excuses and delays. That's got to rival the smell of resin.

Each to their own. I can see the attraction for getting in the bay but it's not my preferred take.

Those assyms look very interesting though. I can't get my head around the fin set ups. Best just to let the ride decide I guess.

PS - Is it too early to discuss immigration on this thread yet , Stu ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 23 Jan 2018 at 10:37am

Surprised it hasn't happened yet.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Tuesday, 23 Jan 2018 at 11:31am

Phil Myers got an interesting assym on his instagram today

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Tuesday, 23 Jan 2018 at 12:03pm

pick this up back in September, 10 symmetrical channels, sooooo good!!

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Tuesday, 23 Jan 2018 at 2:00pm

Thats sick 50 looks like a nice wave for it out the back.

Simba not sure on measurement will check later. The deep single straightens the rocker too so that helps in a way with down the line speed its certainly not lacking drive especially from the pocket.

Stu its not as radical (rail to rail) as i thought what suprised me was when i put my standard 6’0 quad next to the assym the fin placements are identical so the difference is not in the fin placement on the heel side but only the rail if that makes sense.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 23 Jan 2018 at 2:02pm

You mean the fin clusters are roughly the same distance from the tip of each tail?

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Tuesday, 23 Jan 2018 at 2:20pm

Hopefully this link works ill post it up tonite otherwise

https://ibb.co/mOVt1w

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 23 Jan 2018 at 2:35pm

Yeah right. On my boards, whatever the tail offset is - i.e if it's an inch longer on the toe side to heel side - that's the same distance I offset the fins. So the fin cluster is the same distance from the tail on both sides.

Applying similar thinking to yours, it appears from the photo that the leading edge of the front fins is offset the the same amount the tail is.

The more I look at it the more curious I get.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Tuesday, 23 Jan 2018 at 3:06pm

This is the opposite of what your saying Stu. Interesting

photo Assym.jpg

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 23 Jan 2018 at 3:30pm

Yeah, but then my theory is just one of many.

I should add, the basis of my asymm theory is to try and contain the infinite variables. The shapes and placements and curves on a surfboard are endless, so I start with the standard symmterical surfboard and add the asymm part only where I think it's needed.

For one, by working that way it's easier to tell what's working on the board and what isn't, and it also rides fairly similar to what I know so there's no unpredictable washouts with performance.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 23 Jan 2018 at 7:41pm

Do they ride similar to a normal board ?

No loss of drive off the bottom on the forehand ? There has been a fair bit of tail area removed .

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Tuesday, 23 Jan 2018 at 9:05pm

Blowin iv'e found it's like that initial period when you get pretty much any new board. Within a few surfs it feels normal because you've adjusted.

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Tuesday, 23 Jan 2018 at 9:10pm

Stu food for thought by moving your heel side fins has that not created another point of asymmetry?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 7:36am

Yep, my boards are asymmetrical in two places: the last 18 inches of rail, and the fin clusters.

But they're asymmetrical to the same degree - i.e whatever the tail offset is equals the fin offset.

Also, the fin clusters are symmetrical across the stringer in that each fin is equidistant from the stringer as it's opposite partner. The leading right hand side fin is the same distance from the stringer as leading left hand side - even though they're slightly offset from each other.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 11:26am

https://imgur.com/gallery/QMfa4

A bit vanilla you might think.

These things let me surf as well as I'm ever likely to surf. If there's any feelings of boredom creeping in then it just means I've got to find some better waves.

6'0 and 6'5

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 11:28am

Dropped the nationalism when it comes to boards?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 11:43am

Ha ha, but tasty looking boards anyway. A groveller is good for this time of year. Maybe you could check out some local brands for a nice fish or baby quad.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 12:06pm

When in Rome , Stu.

Those boards were made in Indonesia where I got them. The idea of Seppos making money in Indo grates on me a bit to be honest. And don't get me started on the surf schools owned by Euros/ Russians /Koreans.

I've got a lot of time for Indonesians.

Can't believe you've brought the nationalism thing to a board thread. You ever ridden one of these Stu ?

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 11:50am

Nice clean looking boards blowin.
Wat models are they?
Howve you got Im set up ?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 12:01pm

No tail pads.
Now we’re talkin

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 12:03pm

Semi pro 12".

Pick up a board like that and you never want to put it down again.

Thruster set ups.

K.I.S.S theory never fails.

Using larger side fins. Not sure what type. Got them off a board that was ( allegedly) built for Parko to take to Chopes the year he cut his foot up. The back fin is smaller. Mick Fanning I think.

I use that fin set up everywhere. Only throwing in the 3rd fin of the larger ones if the waves become pure down the line and hollow.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 12:15pm

My animosity isn't purely ideological. Few years back I received a free K-Step, the CI step up model, and caught one wave on it. Here's the outcome:

If this happens to yours I know a few shapers - Dick Smith-approved - who can make you a board.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 12:37pm

I get mine glassed heavier.

Touch wood.

I'm not sure what you're ideology is to be honest. You don't seem to enjoy me saying that Australians should be prioritised for work in Australia whilst also saying that you think Australian shapers should be supported and prioritised over foreign shapers.

I'm confused.

But anyway .....surfboards.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 12:37pm

Thought you said you got 'em off the rack? Instant satisfaction etc...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 12:40pm

I did . I also said that the boards I got custom weren't exactly what I wanted.

These boards go amazing but they are not what I thought I was ordering.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 12:46pm

OK, right...interrogation over.

For now.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 12:56pm

You get them custom made in indo blowin?
How much do they sting you over there?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 1:08pm

Same as here I think.

Good crew to deal with.

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 7:27pm

Gary is unlikely to ever buy a board 'off the rack' again, but likes the 'buy a stock board with extra glass' practice, Blowin. Gary has also recently bought a hand-shaped step-up/semi gun and is very happy with it. Gary, clearly, likes to go both ways

The advantage of the extra glass on the off the rack shape is that Gary can ogle the object of his desire and give it a good caress, maybe even smell it a little. Gary likes this.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 24 Jan 2018 at 7:33pm

Sounds like we’re swinging in the same jungle , Gary G.

toneranger's picture
toneranger's picture
toneranger Saturday, 27 Jan 2018 at 8:21am

been surfing my latest custom vern jackson 9'2' for a month now and couldn't be happier.i had been tinkering around with logs for a few years but had a few lack of performance issues.i spoke to vern,told him how i like to surf and he turned me out the perfect board.plenty of rocker and chine rails.this thing is like an 'F1' compared to what i've been riding.also got one of his 8'4 skindogs.apart from a 7'3' superfish xl 2nd. hand i've always gone custom and would never change