East Coast surf trip - Geelong to Byron

Vr's picture
Vr started the topic in Monday, 11 Dec 2017 at 10:32pm

Hey guys. Heading from Geelong up nsw coastline to Byron bay for a week and want to know the best surf spots along the way. I've only been surfing a year so good places to surf for amateurs. I'm on 9"1 longboard. Cheers

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 12 Dec 2017 at 10:14am

With just a week up your sleeve, I'd recommend aiming for one spot and hanging there for the entire time. Otherwise you'll spend more time on the road chasing your tail, than in the water. 

OllieB's picture
OllieB's picture
OllieB Tuesday, 12 Dec 2017 at 11:33am

I would head to the Yamba area personally, do not even bother with Byron.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Tuesday, 12 Dec 2017 at 1:02pm

Ben is right, just go straight to Byron and surf the very long and easy point break with all your mal learner brothers and sisters and you will improve quickly and have fun. Yamba is definitely no good for Mal surfing as also are most places south of there except for a very few odd long points.

Vr's picture
Vr's picture
Vr Tuesday, 12 Dec 2017 at 1:51pm

Cheers for the feedback guys. I can easily extend my trip to 2 weeks. I haven't explored much of NSW so wanted to cruise up to Byron and stop at a few good surf spots along the way. So if you guys have any other places you know which would be good, let me know.
Cheers

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Tuesday, 12 Dec 2017 at 4:52pm

Lucky you, one week is crazy brave but if that's all you got drive straight up the M31 (Hume) to just past Tamworth and turn right aiming to hit the coast at Port Macquarie. Follow the coast to Byron from there and soak up some of the best coastline you will ever feast your eyes on. If there is some swell running on a long board you will be heading for Crescent Head for sure, if the swell hangs around maybe that's as far north as you will get.

Come home that way too.

Some advice on driving the Hume. Start your driving early in the day just after the sun and get the hell off it before dark .... it takes a special kind of crazy to drive it at night with all the semis.

Good luck and report in after the trip.

fartpaddler's picture
fartpaddler's picture
fartpaddler Thursday, 18 Jan 2018 at 11:13am

lucky you Vr....
Byron's a fair whack from down here.....did the trip a while back and it was 2 pretty solid days of driving (I recall about 8-9 hrs per day) .....further than we thought! everywhere in oz seems further than you think