Surf guitar tracks and the best of the lesser known

Halibut's picture
Halibut started the topic in Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 1:03pm

We've all heard "Pipeline", Wipeout", "Bombora", "Miserlou" and "Walk Don't Run" but surely there's a greater world of surf guitar out there beyond Wedding Cake Island.
Here's a few of my fave surf guitar tunes;
"Fadeaway" by Laika and the Cosmonauts. Everybody from Finland knows them because they are a real surf band with an original style. Fadeaway is a sweet surf guitar tune from the lands where breaking waves echo off fiords and hibiscus is ice blue.
"Pacifica" by Los Straightjackets. Pacifica is all 80's kick drums and powerchords. This is superfine twin guitar riffing from the masked reverberators. Majestic and inspiring, just like the title and could've easily accompanied the opening scenes for Hawaii 5-0. Who needs horns?
"West of Samoa" by Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant. There is room in jazz for surf guitar and vice versa, and there is power in the mindbending stringbending that only pedal steel guitar is capable of. Steel on steel and you can hear the sounds of the forest amid the harsh tones of waves cracking on coral reef.
"A Place in the Sun" by the Shadows. If only they could've got out from under Cliff Richard's puritan shadow. This is the real Shadows, moody, evocative, lulled by reverb and Hank's terrific tremolo arm artistry. What I love most about this tune is the amount of space. Sometimes it's more about what you don't play.
"Pali Gap" by Jimi Hendrix. Easily my favourite from the long ago deleted "Rainbow Bridge Soundtrack" LP, it's just so mesmerising. Allegedly recorded as a studio outtake after laying down "Dolly Dagger", this is soaring pentatonic shredding over a simple vamp and percussion jam. Pick-ups get flicked back and forth while melodic lines take off at blistering speed until it's hard to know which one to follow. It's claimed he hated surf music, but I doubt it. Jimi loved it all and in Maui in 1970 he was right in the thick of surf culture and you can hear all it's influence here.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 1:19pm

Great topic mate. Which I could add something but you've exhausted my very short list!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 1:34pm

Man or Astro-man, self titled:

Every song on it.

Halibut's picture
Halibut's picture
Halibut Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 1:39pm

Any standout tracks Stunet?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 1:43pm

Holy shit, I saw Man or Astroman in Adelaide, reckon it was about '95 when they toured with You Am I. TBH can't remember much about their set though. Hoss played too. 

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 1:51pm

First four or five are unreal. Click on this link and you can hear them individually (see tracks listing, click on timer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umOlLE9ZoXc

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 2:18pm

I thought that Surf music was going to have a resurgence with the young crew a couple of years ago.

A SW vid set down South NSW called the Mountain ( ? ) starring Kai Otton and a few others was all surf guitar and it was pretty epic.

The big comeback never happened.

Great genre.