Forget sups let’s talk about foils

thebeard's picture
thebeard started the topic in Thursday, 23 Nov 2017 at 9:06pm

Surfing a pretty crowded break (lots a groms getting their share before going to school) on the sunny qld coast, I nearly crapped my boardies as a guy on a foil hummed his way through the line up. And even though the surfer seemed a competent rider I couldn’t help think that this is just an accident waiting to happen. I usually am very open minded about what people ride and how (sups, hipsters with no leggie etc) but this is truely a murder weapon.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 24 Nov 2017 at 7:35am

Gotta admit I reckon they look a little scary coming through the lineup. 

Has anyone come a gutser on these things through a shallow section where the keel hits the reef?
blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 24 Nov 2017 at 5:26pm

...or a grommet?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 24 Nov 2017 at 5:56pm

Next swell there going to be up and riding and charging thru the pack behind the rock at Snapper.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 24 Nov 2017 at 6:01pm

I'd pay money to see that, that'd be some serious entertainment.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 25 Nov 2017 at 8:41pm

Joel Parko riding a Foil around Coffs today.

innatube's picture
innatube's picture
innatube Sunday, 26 Nov 2017 at 3:36pm

Saw one at Snapper a few weeks back. The guy was flat out carrying it to the water.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 26 Nov 2017 at 10:23pm

When you see goat boats on foils this marks the beginning of the End Times.

Spuddups's picture
Spuddups's picture
Spuddups Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 6:08am

Foiling Sups would be pretty bad. I'll probably take up Bridge or something if that happens.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 10:22am

There are plenty on here that think we live in a nanny state of regulation yet in the water we can see goat boats, PWCs, motorised surfboards, SUPs, hipsters without leg ropes and now foils. Personally, I view all these as regression and refuse to surf with them. Granted it mostly happens on crowded beaches anyway which I avoid but there seems to be a lawlessness in the water that wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else.

The great MR was also using a foil sometime back ....

eddiewouldgo's picture
eddiewouldgo's picture
eddiewouldgo Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 2:16pm

U gotta be kidding .
I bet when the first fin was put on a surfboard they said the same shit .
Help help the guy with the fin is on a wave watch out !

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 2:31pm

IMO it comes down to the compentancy of the user of any surfcraft & also the awaereness of all that share the line-up, then everyone excepting some element of risk.

Yes a foil sup could cause significant injury but in the same breath the corner of a bodyboard could quite easily destroy an eyeball if things went wrong.....

Cacadajy's picture
Cacadajy's picture
Cacadajy Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 4:13pm

On the big S/E blow on the Sunny Coast about 6 weeks ago saw a SUP foil cruising Noosa point. Picked up a wave at B.P. and cruised through to 1st point. Was riding way outside where everyone was surfing or paddling.
Looked like a pig of a thing to paddle back out though. Old mate tried to stand up and paddle back out but resorted to laying down to paddle.
Also saw a kite surfer on a foil board hit a sandbank at the rivermouth. The forward somersault was funny but seeing that foil attached to his board flying through the air was a little sketchy.

eddiewouldgo's picture
eddiewouldgo's picture
eddiewouldgo Friday, 1 Dec 2017 at 3:45pm

How the bodyboarders feel about kooks on surfboards with fins