indonesian customs tax

1floorup's picture
1floorup started the topic in Friday, 20 Oct 2017 at 6:35pm

I have just sent a surfboard to Indo as a gift for someone courier and it cost me $400 which is fine, but now I just got an email asking for $400 in customs duty before they release it???, conveniently the company I sent it with advised me on "possible" custom charges "interrupting" the surfboard journey (of course) after I paid for the freight and signed the docs, but surely it can't be this much? should I actually try to barter this?, don't want to let my local mate down of of course! the email is from DHL not customs. I have sent an email to DHL asking for paperwork, but you know, just want to ask here in case they are tugging my chain..lol

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 20 Oct 2017 at 8:24pm

Christ ...dunno but it all sounds wrong
$400 for freight even ?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 20 Oct 2017 at 9:22pm

With the wisdom of hindsight you could have hand delivered it for that price. I would contact the Indonesian Consulate here and ask them to explain the situation.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 21 Oct 2017 at 7:44am

Sounds high but could be correct as i know Indonesia has crazy high import tax.

Just a quick google shows some luxury type items like cars can have an import tax of up to 200% many other items up to 40%

The freight also sounds expensive, but thats Australia for you, it was a little while ago 2013 but i got a quote from Coil Surfboards in the USA to pack and air freight a board and it was going to be $200 USD for one board $250 USD for two.

ant01's picture
ant01's picture
ant01 Saturday, 21 Oct 2017 at 12:01pm

The customs duty is calculated on the value of the goods plus the cost of insurance and freight.
If you declared the value of the board as $300 and the freight/insurance costs were $400, the duty is calculated on the total amount of $700, not on the $300 board value.