Kelpie pups

inzider's picture
inzider started the topic in Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 9:21am

Gday me Oz cobbers
Just wondering if anyone has any good tips on training kelpies.
I think she's smarter than me.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 9:21am

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 9:28am

First tip: run her out of energy, often. Every day. It wont matter what you do with training, you could send a kelpie to Oxford, but if you don't exhaust them you're gonna come home to holes in the yard and chewed up shoes.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 9:31am

Never ever smack her, she'll never forget and won't come when she is called everytime. Whenever you teach a command , use hand signals as we'll as word then later on you don't need to say anything.
Best dogs and yes they are smarter, real problem solvers.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 9:40am

What age is she ?
Yes she is smarter than you..no need to ever yell or shout at her just talk to her as you would another human and agree with crustt hand signals every time.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 9:57am

I disagree with that stu , yeah if you leave them alone and they are not spent holes will be dug. But if they are hanging out with you they're happy just to be your shadow and do nothing all day. You'll find she'll be teaching you tricks, like throwing a stick. Many dogs have noted this is all we are capable of besides opening cans of dog food.
Set boundaries with the sticks/balls early on, they can get overly obsessed and nearly as bad as we are about surfing.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 9:57am

I guess if you can take them to work, or if you're home all day then it's fine, but for many/most people they'll have to leave their dogs alone for stretches of the day. Be prepared.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 10:16am

i've trained a few working dogs in my time. but i supsect yours is just a pet, right?
a combination of having other trained/good dogs around as models and rewarding positive behaviour usually does the trick. some dogs aren't suitable for training and that when it gets tricky -- you have to now when it's time to shoot em and move on to the next one. but if it's a pet, just put with a bad dog for it's lifetime. s/he will still bring joy to your life.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 10:19am

buy the pup one of these if you plan on leaving it home during the day

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 10:21am

Never ceases to amaze me just how much energy those things have. Happy to run 10+ kms at a time then do it all again 10 minutes later. Great working dogs with loads of character.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 10:35am

Thanks
She was toilet trained in 2 days
Couldn't believe it
The kids took years

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 10:37am

I'm being careful not to run her too hard to young. Just easing her into longer and longer runs
She's never tied up so gets to chase whatever cat is dumb enough to enter the yard

Herc's picture
Herc's picture
Herc Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 10:42am

One of the easiest dogs to train. They have been bred to want to please, to accept commands, and to be super obedient. And to work hard. Unlike say a basenji. That's fitter in a way, but has developed differently, and does exactly what it pleases. I've had both. However at the same time, kelpies are a special type of working dog. One used to carrying out given tasks on their own, so using their own will to solve the unexpected. Which they need, and love. Surprises. But they are also bred to be in a pack situation, so want to constantly test their placing in the pack. That means you. Its a catch 22, the fitter they get, so healthier, and happier, the more fullfilled, the more they want.

Kelpies are everywhere over west. I had a legendary kelpie cross in Elliston. A fucking machine! The farmers loved him. Mitch. He could run flat out from the town to blax and back with ease, all day, every day, and up and down that cliff all day. He knew the whole coast backwards. Mitch and Rocky's Arlo. FFS. Entertainment city. Constantly looking for each other. Testing each other. Cocky fucking Arlo! Fuck he could move well too! I would let the kids/families staying in the park take Mitch with them anywhere, he would entertain and guard them all day. They always wanted to take him home. He was God to my kids.

We were in a position over west to see the dog pack dynamics all day. It went on continually. Kelpies are used to some physical testing, physical borders. It doesn't have to be mean, cruel, but they carefully nip, growl, push, shove, test and exert their physicality all day long. Its natural. Pups learn from the parents that would fight to the death for them, early on. A carefull, calculated, little nip here and there is natural. So is fuck that, that's enough nip. Its not hard to express to a dog how much you love it, and really care about it. And its not hard for a dog to figure it out either.

Kelpies aren't naturally a city dog. Not naturally a couch potato. But, we aren't supposed to be either. We should be more stringent on owning dogs. They are not just a whim. They are just like kids in a way. In that its 110%.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 10:51am

My last dog was a NZ huntaway which is a pretty legendary working dog here in NZ. So I'm kinda guessing they will have similar needs.
She is getting a lot of love and attention and is so far blowing my mind with how clever she is.
She started out nipping a lot but is learning fast that we don't need her to do it.
She dosnt have separation anxiety issues as we never acknowledge her when coming and going from the house.

Any ideas why she will only sit when it's dinner time?

Herc's picture
Herc's picture
Herc Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 11:13am

Because, some how, you taught her that's ok, and food is life, powerfull drive, so she takes that bit seriously. But not you. She's only young, but you have to change that now, or the habit is set. You must acknowledge her, you, as the boss, whenever coming and going. Its your call, you decide when, she's just a pup. Its normal in the pack. She is learning that you aren't the pack leader, so has no idea who really is. You are just another sibling, another pup to her. Always think, what would happen in the pack? If she had parents? And a pack. Coming and going? They always acknowledge each other, in one way or another. It's more interaction, more learning. Like kids, pups crave boundaries. Pups crave the parent, the pack, a leader. Boundaries mean safety, love, watching, sureness and full belonging. Pups need 110%. That's the catch though.

whatsaname's picture
whatsaname's picture
whatsaname Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 11:37am

We have a Kelpie x Collie.

Did the whole puppy school thing and it helped out massively. He is incredibly smart and will literally run himself sick.

The best way we found to teach him tricks was with treats, he will do anything if he thinks he will get a treat. For sitting it was always treat in the hand with the index finger up saying sit, he picked it up quick and now will sit to either the words or the hand gesture.

Even sits so the misses can put costumes on him, that's a patient dog if you ask me.

We both work 9-5 jobs and he doesn't dig at all, just need to give him a bit of a scolding and he learns quick enough that digging (or shitting on the floor) is bad. Ohhh and toys, he destroys every toy we get him, but as long as he is wrecking them and not the house/yard I'm happy.

Good luck, they are amazing companions

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 12:22pm

Never thought I'd say this but here goes
Herc, I agree with you.
Ha ha
I'm just not sure on the details on training as I am an amateur.
That's why I put it out there for help from my Anzac brethren as they are the ones who developed the Kelpie.
Have been trying to find out more on their origins.
Do they have dingo in them?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 12:31pm

Yes dingo in them.

whatsaname's picture
whatsaname's picture
whatsaname Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 12:33pm

I can't recommend the puppy schools more, I found the social interaction as well as learning to listen to commands with so many distractions worked wonders.

Herc's picture
Herc's picture
Herc Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 1:12pm

Some say, probably, but pommy sheep dogs for sure. Bred working dogs.

The pack thing was great learning. Equal dogs greet each other differently than the boss. Higher greets different than lower. But its still all good. Lots of testing. Mitch, Arlo were kind of equal. And many more. All snuffling around, testing. But then the boss, Moonie. Totally different. But always full absorption. They love it. Everything happening, to the hilt, and suddenly, Moonie would decide to do his rounds, keeping everything in order. No one knew when, or why. Suddenly a whole different thing, fuck, its Moonie, the boss, so, front and centre. Moonie, carrying on, gruffling and growling, demanding, enforcing a whole different greeting and acknowledgement. He would decide when he wanted to play, and not play. They all knew it. Dogs have their own traits, different to humans. So you love them, their different personalities and emotions, but acknowledge and let them be dogs. They love it. It fullfills them properly. Just like kids though, its more work though, being the full time boss. They get to know part time. She'll love it, full time, so much deep down. Play dog games with her. But always be the boss. Notice, acknowledge when she decides to go. But, hold her back, then let her see its your call. Now you can go. Same when she comes. Sometimes stop her, make her wait, now come! She doesn't need to know why yet. She can't fathom be still, be quiet, danger, yet. You can't be her equal, she needs you to be her boss. Dogs aren't people. Naturally the borders change as she gets older, and proves herself to you, and so, herself, shows you how smart she is, which she will love to do. And you'll love it. But you always control the borders. Or she'll own you, it's just a a dog thing, and like a lost delinquent, not have a real clue how to look after herself, let alone you. It was so much fun watching them, they can't and don't disguise anything.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 1:17pm

So Herc
HoW would you recommend I teach her I am alpha
Do set up an outdoor gym and start buffing out in front of her?
Nah seriously though pisstakes aside
What would you do?

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 1:19pm

You must have been typing the same time so I missed your last post
Thanks for the advice

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 1:21pm

How far would you run a pup
She is only 5 months or so

Herc's picture
Herc's picture
Herc Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 1:31pm

What you said is right. Pups aren't adults. When she's buggered, you'll see. Gradually she'll get stronger and fitter, and you let her do more. Rest is important. We are the dummies that push too much. 'Have a coffee, or take a panadol and soldier on. Animals are smart, and rest. Bones, ligaments, tendons are still forming. You need to exercise her, and rest her. But you sound like you've got that wired. Tide's moved, I'm going surfing.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 1:41pm

Cher

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 1:51pm

Thanks everyone who has taken the time today to comment

dewhurst's picture
dewhurst's picture
dewhurst Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 3:23pm

They're great dogs Inzider and you get back what you out in.. Growing up we had a red kelpie who was part of our family.
RIP Mustard. You never were too good around cars.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 3:44pm

here's one for mustard, by the craven fops...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 27 Oct 2017 at 1:04pm

inzider hows the Telepathy going....you only just thought about going to the beach and she's already waiting at the car eh.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Friday, 27 Oct 2017 at 11:24pm

I've been working away in queenstown and hanvt seen my bitch for a couple of months
The groms have been taking over while I'm gone.
I'm back next week so it will be rad to see how she's going
Was getting into the hand signals before I left and she had her first few river crossings
Im sold though
Kelpie's are awesome
Haven't surfed in months either
Might sneak to dunners before my drive north

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 15 Jul 2022 at 8:28am