MIA surf camp mentawais

groundswell's picture
groundswell started the topic in Monday, 25 Sep 2017 at 11:25pm

Indo dreaming or anyone with recent knowledge know what this place is like and where it is?(what waves) the prices seem reasonable compared to a boat charter.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 25 Sep 2017 at 11:43pm

bump

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 26 Sep 2017 at 7:40am

It's on Nyang Nyang island in playgrounds area, Sth Siberut, its right in front of Nippussie not far from Bank vaults, the other waves it list as waves in eye distance from its camp are IMHO kinda waves, kinda sketchy and rarely surfed, i remember walking there long before the camp was there and looking at those others spots and thinking if only it didn't end on dry reef that would be a sick wave, but i guess in the right conditions or on a lid.

Think the guy is Aussie that owns it, i heard he is one of those owners that has become a piss head.

In all honesty for that area no real need to stay at those more expensive places unless you want extra comfort, plenty of cheap pretty good accommodation these days in that area, and can get a boat for about $100-$150 a day to other spots, take two mates and that only $50 a day extra, i guess different if going alone.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 26 Sep 2017 at 10:33am

Thanks a lot Indo for te info. ill give that one a miss then.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 26 Sep 2017 at 10:49am

Groundy check out The Shadow camp website..gd rates, internet, water and air cond if you wish ...Indo owned.
Im off put by MIA s pricing and not even having a website.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 26 Sep 2017 at 11:33am

Thanks Udo Ill check shadow camp out, i saw your other post too on the other thread thanks.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 26 Sep 2017 at 5:13pm

They have a website, I've seen it before, but yeah its got issues at the moment.

SA Wetdog's picture
SA Wetdog's picture
SA Wetdog Sunday, 1 Oct 2017 at 11:04am

I was keen on MIA and sent them a message, I didn't get a reply so my money has gone to a charter boat who replied the same day! Leave this week, can't wait.

kylesurf's picture
kylesurf's picture
kylesurf Sunday, 15 Oct 2017 at 8:26am

I've stayed with MIA a couple of times and recommend no where else. Great spot, great surf, and people. I was on there fb page the other day and booked another trip for next year and they said theyve set up a new website surfinginmentawais.com but waiting for photos to upload on it

kylesurf's picture
kylesurf's picture
kylesurf Sunday, 15 Oct 2017 at 8:28am

Ive stayed with them a couple of times and would recommend them (just booked for next year) There old website wasnt running probably and couldnt fix it so there new one is surfinginmentawais.com

Nahs's picture
Nahs's picture
Nahs Tuesday, 28 Nov 2017 at 5:18pm

If only i could post pix up here and you would see those slabs are perfectly rideable unless your a kook or a straight up pussy, not to mention Nipussi being right on their doorstep the most consistent and variable wave (depending on size) in all the Ments. And then theres BANKVAULTS just a short walk away .. one of the top 3 rights in all the Ments if not world. They have the best and most private location in all playgrounds area, M.I.A is the tits dont knock it until u have been there and scored.. do your own research ppl theres plenty online on how good this place is, dont take advice from biased kooks.... 6 trips in 4 years and ill be back in 2018..

Nahs's picture
Nahs's picture
Nahs Tuesday, 28 Nov 2017 at 5:42pm

https://www.facebook.com/miasurfcampmentawai/
Look at the 1st photo sequence in their gallery. Sickest shots of one of @indo-dreaming 's "unrideable waves" i was out there that sesh and it was almost dead low tide.

Nahs's picture
Nahs's picture
Nahs Tuesday, 28 Nov 2017 at 5:42pm

https://www.facebook.com/miasurfcampmentawai/
Look at the 1st photo sequence in their gallery. Sickest shots of one of @indo-dreaming 's "unrideable waves" i was out there that sesh and it was almost dead low tide.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 28 Nov 2017 at 6:09pm

Indo said in the right conditions
Post some of your own pics up.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 28 Nov 2017 at 6:27pm

Thanks Udo i didn't say unrideable i said kinda sketchy and rarely surfed, I haven't actually been back to the area since that camps been built, but we use to walk past these spots and always look at them and think man that's almost perfect if just this or that and it wasn't just me, only waves guys use to surf other than Nippusie and Bankvaults was the clit.

That's the beauty of being located in eyes sight of fickle waves like these little slabs though, you can suss them right out and catch them when you get those conditions needed.