Florida

spudsurf's picture
spudsurf started the topic in Saturday, 26 Aug 2017 at 9:35pm

December I'm planning to drive from Cocoa Beach to Miami. If anyone has any advice on best stops to make the most of the surf. Plan is to stay 2 nights at Cocoa beach, 2 nights at Palm beach and rest of the time seeing sites around Miami. I have Sebastian Inlet marked down.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 27 Aug 2017 at 12:04pm

spuddie u have to comment of your post to get it up.

spudsurf's picture
spudsurf's picture
spudsurf Sunday, 27 Aug 2017 at 3:05pm

cheers udo

spudsurf's picture
spudsurf's picture
spudsurf Saturday, 2 Sep 2017 at 9:12am

Ok, so Satellite Beach, which is close by looks like it might be a bit faster than the Cocoa pier. If anyone has surfed Florida, interested to find out how fat and slow the waves were compared to the GC points?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 2 Sep 2017 at 11:11am

Spud I've only surfed around Fort Lauderdale and all I can say is when you get that far south in the shadow of the Bahamas, it's barely worth the effort to go for a surf. Down there, about the best you can hope for are fat gutless lefts crumbling down the beach, 2-3 ft on an epic day but more like 1/2 - 1 ft.

You're obviously on the right track focusing on areas further north.

On a tangent, one of the best things I did when I was in Florida was to go to the Salvador Dali museum in St Petersberg, over on the Gulf coast.
Not sure if you're into that sort of thing but it's rather impressive.
Who woulda thought that one of the world's finest collection of Dali's works would be in St Petersburg, Florida??

http://thedali.org

spudsurf's picture
spudsurf's picture
spudsurf Saturday, 2 Sep 2017 at 2:32pm

Thanks Andy,
Had originally planned to travel the Gulf coast as well, but will next time.
Yeah I missed that. Fan of Dali, saw his exhibition when it came to Brisbane ages ago, will def mark that down.