Wanted "Camel" boards from Crescent Head

Halibut's picture
Halibut started the topic in Friday, 25 Aug 2017 at 11:11am

In 2015, I was forced to sell my collection of custom made surfboards. These were boards that I shaped for myself between 2008-2014. At the time I had no choice due to onset of a chronic illness and subsequent unemployment. They were all single-fins or bonzers of various shapes and sizes ranging from 9' Mals, 8' mini-mals and all kinds of hotdog boards. Some of them had the "Camel" logo on them, others just had my name "G. Ballard" handwritten on the bottom of the board. Most of them were full colour tints, mostly yellow, orange or red.
They were all heavily-glassed 7oz custom boards, hand- shaped, ridden and finally sold when I was living at Crescent Head.
I am no longer able to shape boards and rarely surf due to my health & location but I would love to get at least one of these back to give to the kids.
I was wondering if anyone may have one of these boards laying around that they would like to re-sell. I would pay very good money for it. Also if anyone has had any success with finding old boards themselves and how they went about it.
I can post some pics of some of these boards. Would appreciate any input.
Thanks for your time,
Keep on truckin'

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 25 Aug 2017 at 7:06pm

Put an ad on gumtree
Good Luck.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 25 Aug 2017 at 7:33pm

post up a couple pics ...might twig someones memory

Halibut's picture
Halibut's picture
Halibut Monday, 28 Aug 2017 at 9:12am

Thanks for the tips fellas, does anyone know how to go about posting pics on the swellnet forum page?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 28 Aug 2017 at 9:22am
Halibut's picture
Halibut's picture
Halibut Monday, 28 Aug 2017 at 10:51am

Thanks Ben, I gave it a go , but something's amiss, probably me!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 2:44pm

Hey Hal, I once did what you're doing but in reverse: I had an old single fin with the name Jim Vale written on and wantd to know who he was (the board was clarly a backyarder).

Posted a question here and Jim got in contact with me. The board was stolen from him in '75 at Manly and somehow ended up with me. Details here:

https://www.swellnet.com/forums/wax/24361

Point being: don't be deterred, lots of surfers read the forums.

Halibut's picture
Halibut's picture
Halibut Tuesday, 12 Sep 2017 at 3:18pm

Hey thats a great story Stunet. Gives me hope. I certainly built them to last, because high performance they aint! So I'm thinking they may still be floating around.

Thing is I put my old planshape templates in the car one night ready for a shaping trip to QLD the following day. I figured I could at least make myself a replica, but when I got up the next morning, the car was gone.
Police found the molten shell two weeks later halfway to Tenterfield. No sign of said templates. But thanks for the encouragement. I will keep on trackin'

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 19 Sep 2017 at 11:06pm

Any luck yet ?

Halibut's picture
Halibut's picture
Halibut Wednesday, 20 Sep 2017 at 7:38am

nah Blowin, no luck so far, I've run an ad on Gumtree for the past 2 weeks with the heading: "Single Fins Wanted Crescent Head, Top Money Paid". It's attracted plenty of attention but no positive leads as yet. Those boards are either really good or they've already been relegated to that pile of old carpets, busted lawnmowers, home gym equipment and K-mart mountain bikes that live behind the garage where the incinerator used to be.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 20 Sep 2017 at 7:58am

If your running the Freebie Ad Repost the Ad every few days and will keep you on page 1.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 20 Sep 2017 at 8:01am

And make sure you have the name of the label, or any identifying features, in the title. Just saying "single fin" is too generic.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 20 Sep 2017 at 8:39am

You can also run the Ad in any catergorie...Misc...Antiques ..Etc which may prompt someones memory.

Halibut's picture
Halibut's picture
Halibut Wednesday, 20 Sep 2017 at 10:18am

Thanks for the pointers folks. I will try all the suggestions over the coming days. Swellnet readers with a few minutes browsing time on their hands are urged to checkout the fotos on the Gumtree ad, perhaps it will jog someone's memory, cheers