Oceanic Victor sharking out Middleton-Victor in June 2017

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 started the topic in Monday, 10 Apr 2017 at 9:30am

Thoughts on the swim with the tuna pens going in off Granite Island in June 2017?

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Monday, 10 Apr 2017 at 9:40am

Never felt sharked along that stretch (perhaps wrongly? wouldn't know) but I've no doubt this will bring a few more in. I'm surprised this went ahead at all after the huge opposition and the paddle-out in protest at Victor 18 months back.

I have to say I'm disappointed. I remember ten years ago when they were reporting schools of great whites up to 20 strong circling underneath boats in Boston bay brought in by the tuna pens. Obviously there are more sharks on the eyre peninsula but with the seal colonies etc around Victor it really wouldn't take much to bring a few more in.

With the inconsistency of the mid coast, the south-coast is the only really consistent place for weekend warriors to get a wave without unbearable crowds. It wouldn't take much for a big noah at day street, combined with consistently murky water and regular surf schools etc to stuff the whole south-coast dynamic.

Very disappointed.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Monday, 10 Apr 2017 at 2:14pm

Doe's Victor Harbor council have maybe some sort of case against them if something happens in the way of loss of income/business from more inshore shark activity.An interesting thing at the moment is the tagged Great White "shark 28" which has been sending signal's in our water's the last few week's.I wonder if it will interact with the cage while it's been towed here with Tuna in it.The cage was supposed to be here by Easter.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 10 Apr 2017 at 2:27pm

Can't see anyone paddling out to Olivers for some time.

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Monday, 10 Apr 2017 at 2:50pm

I doubt I'll be sitting half a km out at Cliffs on my lonesome after the first submarine gets sighted. Too deep & murky.

It's pretty common for the divers on the tuna tows to see seals/sharks both inside & outside the nets. There was a great pic of a pointer inside a tuna pen from a few years back but I can't find it now, but it proves the point that the sharks want IN to these cages.

It said in the Port Lincoln Times that the cage has just left Pt Lincoln.