Advertising

Fisho101's picture
Fisho101 started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Mar 2017 at 7:55am

I have been checking this site for ever , every day looking for a day in the week or just a shot of a wave for my fix. For me this site is my daily ritual if I am not up to early on my way to surf . It saddens me greatly when I see that swellnet is taking money for advertisements from corporations of greed , gluteny and false hope! Surely swellnet that rose to its present day fame from an innocent small early morning surf check can afford to be picky about who it lays with. There are so many small surf shops to big surf industry corporations within our beloved community , some fringe healthy eating or life movement areas to source your income. It is a hard stand but quite frankly most surfers take this stand every day , we are a stand out from normal patterns in society and there for are a healthier and stronger breed for it. Stand up swellnet follow the flow of your audience , don't go against the current . At our core there aren't many if any powering their daily mojo with a greasy feed of MCDONALDS!!!. Inspire us to inspire you. Cam

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 29 Mar 2017 at 7:12am

Cam, you make it sound all so easy. Do you work in media, advertising or digital?

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Wednesday, 29 Mar 2017 at 8:07am

Cam, if the companies that wish to advertise are legal and operate freely in our society then its fair for anyone or any company to use their business, products or services. To suggest otherwise, is contrary to our free society. You do have a choice. Anyway, it seems you are ignorant of how Google knows more about you than you do. And of course they use that information.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Wednesday, 29 Mar 2017 at 10:17am

fisho, you might have the wrong end of the stick. maybe swellent is exploiting mcdonalds, not mcdonalds exploiting swellnet and its readers.
we are not passive consumers. just like you, we can all run a critical eye over stuff that is advertised to us and judge it accordingly.

and if you think macdoanlds or any other advertiser here is so bad, don't bitch about it advertising on a website you visit -- try direct action. a tube of superglue fits in the palm of your hand and can bring a whole store to a stop for the day.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Wednesday, 29 Mar 2017 at 3:07pm

Inspire us to inspire you? Why are using a plural? Are you a spokesman? Please Cam just hop down from your soap box and just filter out that which is not to your taste. Swellnet has expenses and small business cannot sustainably support the great service swellnet provide especially if all users do not pay for a subscription.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 29 Mar 2017 at 5:54pm

mmm mcdonalds.......burp.......carry on swellnet its all good.....the coffees good.imo.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 29 Mar 2017 at 9:44pm

McDonalds: the best laxative known to man.

Reconstituted saturated fat, sugar and salt guaranteed to clog your arteries while causing the sort of bowel movements that can be best described as spray painting the bowl.

The company whose discarded wrappings litter the side streets and highways everywhere a golden arch is erected.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 8:19am

SN, a thought. It might be better to have the ad fire up in another window rather than loose the SN link.

gcuts's picture
gcuts's picture
gcuts Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 8:29am

Agree about the bubbling bowel and porcelain painting, but let's be honest it's not Macca's fault it's customers are lazy ars3 fuktard5 who can't be ar5ed to put the used wrappers into a bin.

It's also the first entry into the paid workforce for many a young person. Without them, where would all these kids get a start?

Swellnet has to get coin from somewhere to afford to pay the crew. Hell, Stu as a board collection addiction he needs to fund, Craig is always off on some surf or snow trip and that can't be cheap, and well, Ben, poor bugger as the boss has to earn a truckload. So, of course Swellnet needs to take advertising coin from anywhere it can get it.

May as well feed at the Macca's trough, as anywhere else.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 10:17am

And the more fat kids there are out there, the less inclined they are to take up surfing.

Might have a positive impact on crowding.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 10:39am

Sally's doing her part for the cause...

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 1:04pm

Krap Fucken Chicken

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 1:05pm

McCancer

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 1:26pm

Zen call me selfish but we should push for more fast food for kids and more time for them spent in front of their devices.

Little pudge buckets...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 1:58pm

Want to see how obese the world has become get out your (or your parents) old photos. 30 or 40 years ago the fat kid or parent was a rarity now is mainstream.

Mate's wife is a kidney dialysis nurse. Most of her patients got their kidney disease from diabetes caused by morbidly obesity. Obesity mostly caused by poor life choices. Annual amputation numbers caused by these illnesses are through the roof.

When next taking a dump remember to flush twice it can be along way to your nearest Macca's kitchen where your shit will be served in a sesame seed bun.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 2:34pm

For sure Guy, when I was in primary school in the 80's, out of maybe 120 kids in my grade you could count the fatties on one hand.

Now I look at my 13 year old nephew - both of his parents were representative athletes but he spends virtually all his leisure time in front of a screen and has a body like a marshmallow.

What an incredible uncontrolled experiment we're in the middle of.

Fisho101's picture
Fisho101's picture
Fisho101 Thursday, 30 Mar 2017 at 5:28pm

It's only a small cog in the machine of our governments being driven by those same old familiar companies , just look who's making the money . It's everyone from the processed crap to the docters , hospitals and finally the funeral homes , they don't advertise healthy living cause know one makes money off that . Best to keep quiet while we all are get sicker , funny thing about that is you can only know how sick you were when you start eating like your great grandparents did and find out what feeling good is. What ever happened to the barter system doesn't it work in advertisement , just a thought but maybe you could get paid in Big Macs , just stirring . Go Layne Beachley , she was promptly shut down when she said keep the kids off the sugar whilst commentating at the manly comp the other day. Rant from a whole food plant based killa , love the site and thanks for your dedication!

Hermit's picture
Hermit's picture
Hermit Friday, 31 Mar 2017 at 9:30am

Well gosh golly!! Now I've heard it all! How do you think these cameras exist? You think swellnet just puts them up there at their own expense?
Have you ever eaten Maccas before Cam? If the answer is yes then you're gonna sound a tad hipocritical son!
So you're saying if Maccas approached you and offered you a decent amount of coin to stand in the street and hold one of their advertising signs that you would refuse? Or if they offered to sponsor one of your fossicking expeditions you'd knock them back?

A lot of questions for you to ponder! When something prompts you to write a piece such as you have maybe just think first before engaging the keyboard....we get your drift...you used a lot of big words and fancy writing but struggled to make sense in the end! Good on you for having a go but champ! I don't like Maccas either but I'd take their money any day and there's nothing wrong with Swellnet doing the same....plus they have healthy choices now! McSalad!

And Swellnet.....I would love it if you stop the Coolum Camera from panning south!? Never seen so many kooks surfing there in my life and was wondering why until I found out the camera now pans South....don't know how long it's done this but it needs to cease! One for the suggestion box anyway!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 31 Mar 2017 at 11:32am

McDonalds IS cancer.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 31 Mar 2017 at 11:39am

"By the way if anyone here is in advertising or marketing…kill yourself. It’s just a little thought; I’m just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day they’ll take root – I don’t know. You try, you do what you can.

Kill yourself.

Seriously though, if you are, do.

Aaah, no really. There’s no rationalisation for what you do and you are Satan’s little helpers. Okay – kill yourself.

Seriously. You are the ruiner of all things good.

Seriously.

No this is not a joke. You’re going, “There’s going to be a joke coming.” There’s no fucking joke coming. You are Satan’s spawn filling the world with bile and garbage. You are fucked and you are fucking us. Kill yourself. It’s the only way to save your fucking soul. Kill yourself

Planting seeds.

I know all the marketing people are going, “He’s doing a joke…” There’s no joke here whatsoever. Suck a tail-pipe, fucking hang yourself, borrow a gun from a Yank friend – I don’t care how you do it. Rid the world of your evil fucking machinations. Machi… Whatever, you know what I mean.

I know what all the marketing people are thinking right now too: “Oh, you know what Bill’s doing? He’s going for that anti-marketing dollar. That’s a good market. He’s very smart.”

Oh man, I am not doing that, you fucking, evil scumbags!

“Ooh, you know what Bill’s doing now? He’s going for the righteous indignation dollar. That’s a big dollar. A lot of people are feeling that indignation. We’ve done research – huge market. He’s doing a good thing.”

Godammit, I’m not doing that, you scum-bags! Quit putting a goddamn dollar sign on every fucking thing on this planet.

“Ooh, the anger dollar. Huge. Huge in times of recession. Giant market. Bill’s very bright to do that.”

God, I’m just caught in a fucking web.

“Ooh, the trapped dollar, big dollar, huge dollar. Good market – look at our research. We see that many people feel trapped. If we play to that and then separate them into the trapped dollar…”

How do you live like that? And I bet you sleep like fucking babies at night, don’t you?

“What didya do today, honey?”

“Oh, we made ah, we made ah, arsenic a childhood food now, goodnight.” [snores] “Yeah we just said, you know, is your baby really too loud? You know?” [snores] “Yeah, you know the mums will love it.” [snores]

Sleep like fucking children, don’t ya. This is your world, isn’t it?"

Bill Hicks

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 31 Mar 2017 at 11:44am

Coke is shit!

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 31 Mar 2017 at 12:15pm

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 1 Apr 2017 at 2:20pm

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 1 Apr 2017 at 2:21pm

Fisho101's picture
Fisho101's picture
Fisho101 Monday, 3 Apr 2017 at 6:25am

When we all are complacent of an ever enlargening average you can always fall back on the old saying , I am not as bad as blank. It would cost you a bit of your time and intellect to make an informative advert on your own site to help and possibly make a difference in the lives of many. Anti ads could be the next big thing to popularity for commercial sites like swellnet. I would love to be a part of a site that makes anti ads that are true and scientifically proven, where athletes could feel good about revealing the truth about there health and how important it is to their success. I can understand why we don't like to hear these things about our own choices. Deep down we know it's not right, it's easy to justify and go with the momentum of money. If no-one stands up and does not bow down to the bombardment of bullshit and negative correspondence where does our journey end! One site can make a difference, this site has enormous potential energy... do you feel it? I do.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 3 Apr 2017 at 5:28am

Mate, once again (as I said earlier), you make it sound all so easy.

Do you work in media, advertising or digital?

Fisho101's picture
Fisho101's picture
Fisho101 Monday, 3 Apr 2017 at 6:23am

No Ben I dont , and I am sorrry if this seems personal to you because it's not meant to be.This is one of about 3 site I look at but it's the only one that can get me so excited . Who would dream that you can do an early morning surf check on the throne, well it must of been you!

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Monday, 3 Apr 2017 at 7:19am

Fishnn, it is incorrect that ads are 'bullshit'. Example, after just heading up NSW coast and then to Noosa, I had to book accomodation along the way. And yep, the ads on SN helped and were not bullshit. If fact saved cash and will save in the future as deals will pop up at times. And yep, the intricacies of the Internet chose the ads and not SN. You need to understand how it works. You are entitled to your opinion but not to enforce on others who are trying to deliver a service. Maybe spend a bit a time on how digital media and advertising works. Google controls more of what you see than you do.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Monday, 3 Apr 2017 at 9:44am

fyi: i don't get any ads when when watching the surf cams -- i use a vpn.

terrance's picture
terrance's picture
terrance Monday, 3 Apr 2017 at 10:51am

Bill's in marketing? I thought he was in Accounts.