Hudhuranfushi - Lohis

Blackrocks's picture
Blackrocks started the topic in Monday, 13 Mar 2017 at 4:04pm

Does anyone know if Hudhuranfushi - Lohis is still exclusive to the resort or is it now open to charter boats?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 13 Mar 2017 at 10:34pm

Exclusive im sure and an allocation system book your spot or dont surf it - Christ they charge enough to stay there.....and charge extra for boat trips to other breaks.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 14 Mar 2017 at 12:13am

I got a quote back from them as I'm looking at staying there with my wife later this year.

Exclusive use of Lohis capped at 45 surfers.

$5050 for the two of us including transfers for 7 nights. All meals (buffet style) and snacks included and all drinks (beer, wine, basic spirits and soft drinks) included as well.

Speedboat trips to other breaks $50 per trip or you can pre-pay (buy 5, get 7 etc). Max, 36 spots per day.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 14 Mar 2017 at 7:38am

$US zen ?
Not as pricey as i thought.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 14 Mar 2017 at 8:55am

No Udo, $AUD. You have to pay for Wi-fi and if you want photography that's pretty steep but i was quite surprised too.

Admittedly, i was looking at September/October/November so kinda the shoulder season, may have been a bit cheaper because of that but that's what they sent me.

Bear in mind, it's a big resort that caters to not only surfers so that may be the reason too.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 14 Mar 2017 at 9:00am

Just double checked. Accommodation package is $AUD, boat trips and photo package in $USD.

geek's picture
geek's picture
geek Tuesday, 14 Mar 2017 at 10:23am

I thought the exclusivity was over in Maldives? I'm staying on Thulusdhoo in May and my accommodation advertise boat trips to Lohis's etc. I can let you know in a few months!

innatube's picture
innatube's picture
innatube Tuesday, 14 Mar 2017 at 11:07am

Been a while since I was there but you used to be able to book a boat trip from Lohi's to other breaks on the day for a fraction of the price. I think the advertised price was $30 in advance through a surf travel co. but if booked once you got there it was $7. Not sure if this still applies. They were dohnis not speed boats then.
I think boats from other islands are ok to surf there at Lohi's but not charter boats.

Blackrocks's picture
Blackrocks's picture
Blackrocks Tuesday, 14 Mar 2017 at 1:28pm

Last time I was there in 2010, the resort had exclusive rights to Lohis. I was searching other resorts and charter boats to stay this year and some of the operators stated that they stop off at Lohis for surfing and a drink. Then I read somewhere that the Maldivian government has made a ruling as of 2015 there is no more exclusive rights the breaks such as Lohis, Pasta Point and Kandooma rights. Just wondering if someone knows the real deal from a recent trip in 2016.

lazydave's picture
lazydave's picture
lazydave Tuesday, 14 Mar 2017 at 3:20pm

I stayed at Lohi's in 2012 and Pasta Point last year and during both stays the breaks were only open to guests staying at the resort. Boats came in to Lohi's from other resorts and people visited the bar and had a walk around, but no surfers that I saw.

Lohi's was typically very busy in the water - anything up to 40 blokes at a time (most Brazos and very testosterone driven/competitive). I got around it by surfing before sun up or late in the evening. Sometimes I got lucky over the lunch window too.

Pasta Point was much more mellow, all Aussies and most I surfed with was 8 blokes at any one time.

If it's cranking sometimes just staying at the resort can be a good thing because lots of folks will jump on a boat to Cokes, Chickens, Jailbreaks or Sultans.

Be patient and you'll have some fun for sure!

Blackrocks's picture
Blackrocks's picture
Blackrocks Tuesday, 14 Mar 2017 at 6:58pm

Thanks lazydave. My next question was going to be which wave and resort is better....but after reading your review its a no brainer for me. There's enough crowds, aggro and Brazos on the Goldie. The last thing I want to do is spend my hard earned cash for more of the same overseas.
Thanks again mate!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 14 Mar 2017 at 7:33pm

Love it how they cap numbers at 45 surfers, i don't think that's something to brag about 10 to 15 guys yes, 45 surfers No.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 14 Mar 2017 at 8:25pm

Thanks for the heads-up too lazydave. I looked at Kandooma and Cinnamon Dhonveli as well. I think I'll swerve to one of those.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 14 Mar 2017 at 9:01pm

Joel Coleman - Do you have any recent info on Exclusive Resorts

Blackrocks's picture
Blackrocks's picture
Blackrocks Thursday, 16 Mar 2017 at 6:36pm

Hey lazydave,
Did Pasta Point boats leave early in the morning to surf Sultans & Honkies before all the charter boat guys hit the line up?

Doublems111X's picture
Doublems111X's picture
Doublems111X Thursday, 16 Mar 2017 at 10:18pm

Had some of the best waves ever at Kandooma. We booked and paid at full retail for Lohis via worldsurfaris then got an email to just give us an FYI that the swimming pool is under repairs/construction. We changed at the last minute due to this and I was concerned about size so packed a fish style board and normal shorty. Got there and it was 3 ft day one and 5 - 6ft the remainder of the trip. Never had more than 5 in the water(maybe due to the size, quite intimidating at times over reef) Check it out but I do think I was extremely lucky. I think its usually a softer/smaller wave. Depends what you're after I guess...

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 17 Mar 2017 at 11:02am

What time of year was this DM?

lazydave's picture
lazydave's picture
lazydave Friday, 17 Mar 2017 at 11:07am

Unfortunately the boats from Pasta Point leave about 9am and 2pm from memory so you're smack bang in the middle of the crowds. To the drivers credit, they'll often look around for the least crowded spot but in the maldives that's often still 20+ in the water!

Doublems111X's picture
Doublems111X's picture
Doublems111X Friday, 17 Mar 2017 at 5:27pm

Last week of May Dom

Blackrocks's picture
Blackrocks's picture
Blackrocks Friday, 17 Mar 2017 at 6:39pm

I've only ever stayed at a resort (Hudhuranfushi) because as the old saying goes, "Happy wife, happy life", which means I can surf my arse off unlike the daily grind at home in OZ. The last time I stayed at Hudhuranfushi in 2010 was already getting lots of guys minus the mellow vibe as lazydave described. Just looking for waves without the crowds. I've also been looking at Ayada resort in the southern atolls which sounds awesome with all those great breaks, but a little bit pricey and not sure what its like in regards to favourable winds and swell consistency in Sep/Oct.