Southern Atolls (Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll)

Blackrocks's picture
Blackrocks started the topic in Wednesday, 1 Mar 2017 at 6:31pm

Just looking for some feedback from anyone who has been to the Southern Atolls (Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll) surfing Tiger Stripes, Beacons, Blue Bowls etc between August to October. If so what was the swell and winds like? If someone has been over during both seasons, how does August - October compare to February - April?
Thanks for your help.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 1 Mar 2017 at 9:00pm

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Thursday, 2 Mar 2017 at 12:52pm

I've been in March/April. Winds no problem then. Lack of swell was an issue. We got one good swell in a 2 week charter. Fun waves the rest of the trip at the swell magnets but crowded when the swell drops as all the boats head to the same swell magnets (excluding beacons).

Blackrocks's picture
Blackrocks's picture
Blackrocks Thursday, 2 Mar 2017 at 9:10pm

Thanks for the heads up donweather.
How many surfers are at each of the breaks on average?

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 3 Mar 2017 at 9:03am

When the swells small, everyone heads to Tigerstripes. So you can easily have 4-5+ boats there. When the swell arrives, most boats disperse to the other breaks. We scored one break (not going to name it) all to ourselves at the peak of the swell for a day and half.....but this was a few years back now and I'd imagine there's even more boats down there now. Bluebowls is the premier righthander and when the swells up, most boats head there so again you'll have to deal with 3-4 boats at a time down there.

It's a beautiful part of the world mate and well worth the experience/trip. Just don't expect solitude and be prepared to share the waves and you'll be fine. Liquid Destinations seem to think outside the square more and get their boat to lesser known, lesser crowded breaks I believe.

Blackrocks's picture
Blackrocks's picture
Blackrocks Friday, 3 Mar 2017 at 9:39pm

Thanks again for the great info!

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 4 Mar 2017 at 3:39pm

Jeez that tiger stripes looks like a good wave. what it like when there's some swell?

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 6 Mar 2017 at 2:23pm

Never surfed it when the swell was up as there are much better quality waves in the area when there's swell.

endlesssummerpete's picture
endlesssummerpete's picture
endlesssummerpete Monday, 27 Mar 2017 at 12:38pm

I was down there last september & october and the winds weren't great, very consistent onshore or side shore. Swell was good however Surfed tigers a few times along, great set up and has some grunt that is missing from most maldivian breaks.

Blackrocks's picture
Blackrocks's picture
Blackrocks Monday, 27 Mar 2017 at 9:02pm

I've always read the prime season down their was between Feb-Apr and of late I've noticed the travel companies are trying to sell spots between Aug-Sep now. Thanks for the heads up endlesssummerpete, now I know the best season. I'm actually leaning towards staying at Pasta Point up north.