Would you pay $2,000 for a new surfboard?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming started the topic in Tuesday, 31 Jan 2017 at 8:19pm

I see from tomorrow Jim banks surfboards minimum price will be $2,000.

http://www.jimbanksurf.com

Thoughts?

Whats the most you would pay for a new board?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 31 Jan 2017 at 8:21pm

Personally i think his boards look amazing but $2,000 is a lot for something you could snap first surf.

Max id pay per board at the moment is $1,000

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Tuesday, 31 Jan 2017 at 8:59pm

I remember the first ever custom I ever bought was $350 in 1986. Still to this day I've never paid more than $650 for a new custom board. In that 31 year period I've only ever had 3 different shapers ... one of them for 22 years. These current prices are just crazy to me...but I also consider the surfboard as the ONLY key element of surfing...and would pay more if I had too.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 31 Jan 2017 at 9:04pm

I just paid $830. Most ever.

Actually , no I have paid more for a beautiful Outer Island.

But that included a unique blank with his own fins included.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 31 Jan 2017 at 9:41pm

Dunno how Jims going to go $2k is a lot of dough....but machine cut finished and glassed in Indo is cheap, a few less orders.... maybe same amount in his pocket at the end of the year

Drodders your Webster 7'6" DS heavily glassed was about $780 ?

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Tuesday, 31 Jan 2017 at 11:42pm

I guess if you take all the time to handcraft and finish a board $2000 would be
the going price but me personally no never.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 31 Jan 2017 at 11:52pm

Wonder if the tradies with 40 years experience are going to hit up Banksy for $300/hour now.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 4:38am

Mixed perpexed thoughts on this.
1 Apparently its hard to get good blanks in bali so he has to hand pick them or sent them from oz.Also glass and materials all sent from oz.

2- heard he has ripped a few people off and has a bad reputation of being money hungry, lending a hand and FOOD FOR DAYS at gnaraloo from someone then charging them NEAR full price for a board in return favour. not sure if true.
I once payed 1200 for a pig with bulky rails. $50 for deliveryto banks which i also had to pay the delivery driver an extra 50, im not complaining but i never saw that 50 again.
3- one of the best boards and all best standup sessions ive had were on banksys(i grew up bodyboarding shark island and guillotines so had better barrels on a lid) But one certain Mk2 was magic. handled up to 6-8 feet g-land and other indo spots. i swear you could surf all around indo with just one mk2 or mk4

4- he can charge whatever he wants.

Most i would pay is whatever gary mcneil or Josh dowling is charging these days.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 6:04am

"1 Apparently its hard to get good blanks in bali so he has to hand pick them or sent them from oz.Also glass and materials all sent from oz."

Yeah, but nah. Heaps of board manufacturing on Bali now, easy to get materials.

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 7:34am

Nup over priced....did he say in the video its takes 25-30 hrs per board?
If your not making money because you have to import materials there may be some supply change issues....I must have missed the previous video where he made the boards really cheap because he was using cheap indonesian labor

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 8:21am

I think the hard to get materials bit in Bali is from a long time ago..so many boardbuilders there now
Dylan longbottom Dave Verral L Studer so many more......
Luke Studer 'Pit Viper' a Gland or Outside Corner Gun : $480us Bali pickup with fins ?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 8:51am

Some things that need to be imported to Indonesia have a very high import tax, which could explain why things like foam blanks could be more expensive, although resin and cloth you would expect would not be more expensive and could be cheaper as would be easily available as used in other industries like boat building.

Also many overheads should be much cheaper in Bali, rent of building, electricity, disposal of materials, plus local labour for glassing and sanding.

Plus if you are living in Bali, you shouldn't need as much income to live a good standard of life.

But if he can sell them for that price, well why not, i guess he has built his reputation up, although you would think a gradual price increase over time would have been the go.

EDIT: thinking about it some more.

Ive got a feeling it's more about the fact most guys that would be his boards would in the 40 to 60 age bracket, many of these guys are now cashed up and are willing to spend good money on things like boys toys and boys surf trip etc

Plus put a high price on it, and it makes the boards even more prestiges, why put yourself in the same market competing with everyone else trying to sell cheap boards, when if you have the name and a following you can create a new more prestige market?

Sell them for twice as much and you still only need to sell half as many boards as before to make the same amount of money.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 9:04am

Got a Matt Hurworth in Bali about a week ago. I'm pretty heavy footed on my boards , but after a single brief surf in flattish 1-2 foot waves the heel dents on my back foot were at least 8mm deep.

After the second surf the stringer looks like the spine of a mountain range between two valleys.

So as to quality of some materials in Bali , I'd say yeah, but yeah....shithouse.

Unless there was no glass within the resin.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 9:42am

If Jim is gonna charge $2,000 then he has to stop apologising for the price hike. He needs to adopt the mindset of a boutique trader who's modus operandi is this: you'll pay for this expensive item because you deserve it.

Offering dubious excuses for the price increase undermines the image of prestige and confidence that he needs to project. It strips the mystique from the object. Brewer and Lopez don't implore and plead. They set the cost - more than twice as much as Jim's BTW - and no correspondence will be entered into.

Good luck to Jim, however I think his blue collar Cronulla roots may prevent him from viewing his boards as status symbols - which is largely what all boutique goods are.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 10:02am

Never did find out about Jims stronger glassing technique ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 10:11am

In contrast to Jim's recent marketing strategy, here's a short excerpt from Gerry Lopez' website:

"Some surfers constantly analyze their equipment, thinking of how their surfboard will improve their surfing and working with shapers to do just that. All surfers do this in some degree but many simply rely upon their surfboard builder and trust them to produce the means to the end that really never is ending but simply draws one deeper into their surfing experience. In simple terms, a surfer gets a surfboard, learns to ride it and his skills get better, to a point…to go beyond that point, he needs a better surfboard."

"This is what Grubby Clark of Clark Foam and I always referred to as the ‘sophisticated buyer’ for a new surfboard and it really doesn’t matter how long one has been surfing or even how skilled they are at it to become, more or less, sophisticated about getting a new board."

Notice how the buyer is the frame of reference? It's an implicit message that the buyer deserves the product because they are 'sophisticated'.

After being tactfully flattered the sophisticated buyer can scroll down the page and order a classic Lopez surfboard, starting price $5,000.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 10:22am

@Stu, are hand shaped surfboards functional art?
Would you go to a world famous artist and ask for a $800 "original"?
Its the old question a buyer asks the artist ... how much is that picture? The cost, the artist replies, well its a life-time of work.
Personally, if I could afford it I would order a board from Gerry Lopez at that price.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 10:35am

Are you going to stand on that art piece? Rub wax on it? Store it in a shed? Potentially it break it in two..?

Yeah, I reckon surfboards can be functional art, but looking for an analogue in the art world is misleading. Unlike a painting, sculpture, or photo, a surfboard is to be used. Sure, some are wall hangers, but really, surfboards are consumable products every bit as much as they are functional art, and there are only so many people who can throw down $2K for something that may break first surf.

Hence Jim has to aim high and appeal to those people - just as Gerry and Dick do.

PS: I'd pay for a Lopez too if I could. The salient point is that you and I can't.

PPS: I rode a mate's Lopez on the North Coast over Xmas. First time on a Lopez. Went alright...

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 10:46am

I just wish they would come out and say that this surfboard is a status symbol, mostly for rich people.

This idea that you're paying 2 grand or 5 grand for some extra quality or to enter a "working relationship" with a shaper is nonsense. Unless you're a hedge fund trader or property developer you ain't getting custom after custom for that much money.

Jim Banks, you're dead to me. Good luck duchessing big money.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 10:52am

How many people are buying boards from shapers that see themselves in the premium realm as items to be considered an investment to be on sold in the future ?

How is the premium retained when you can get any board and replicate it an infinite amount of times on a machine ?

Unless it is admittedly pure investment/ collection and the shapers authentic craftsmanship outranks the pure functionality of the board .

What then when the " premium " shaper is using a machine to pump out product , does it still retain its status ?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 11:03am

I'm curious as to how much more enjoyment a surfer will get out of riding a board in this price range, compared to a board from my local shaper. Will my surfing improve following the purchase?

OHBILLY's picture
OHBILLY's picture
OHBILLY Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 11:43am

I might be over-simplyifying it but isn't a surfboard a piece of sporting equipment?

You get one, catch a few waves, it breaks (hand-shapes still snap) and you cry for about 20 seconds before purchasing another one. The board is purely a vessel for wave riding in my eyes....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 11:51am

Ben, your surfing won't improve but you will be more sophisticated.

Surely that's worth a couple of grand.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 12:30pm

I'll pay anything for sophistication!

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 12:54pm

never bought a new board. most i've paid for a board is $140.

but my GF is ready to spend $2k on a board. i have a significant birthday soon, and the GF wants to buy me a new board. after a look at the dues ex machina site, she thinks all boards cost that much.
i'm going to end up with the mid-life-crisis special -- a gloss coated resin tinted board. she wants to buy me something special -- another white 5'10" rounded pin by the same shaper as all my other boards isn't going to cut it. i'm screwed!

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 1:07pm

A long term working relationship with my shaper has always made my boards cheaper not more expensive.

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 1:11pm

This where Jim's rolled the dice and taken a punt on more per board and less customers. I agree he shouldn't apologize for the huge price hike, after all it's his decision and he's obviously going for the elite end of the market, so, so be it. If I was going to spend 2k, I think I'd head off to Mitchell Rae's site and order a piece of functional art.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 1:14pm

Haha good luck chook

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 1:55pm

ssssssh, my point is its entirely reasonable to pay a premium for a hand shaped board from a recognised shaper. I would go further and say that premium should be much higher for an internationally known shaping and surfing legend like Lopez. It comes down to how much a person is to prepared to pay.

As an aside I've been dragged kicking a screaming to art shows for many years by my better half and I can usually be in and out of most shows in 30 minutes or less but rarely, I see something I really like and sometimes we buy. The price is some ways on these occasions secondary, if you like it and can afford its a done deal.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 2:16pm

Jim Banks boards are handfinished not handshaped - machine cut and no fucking way is there 25 hrs plus of labour in them .

tootr's picture
tootr's picture
tootr Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 2:16pm

Years of IP/R&D is what he wants to get paid for.
Good luck to him, his boards are great but at $2k most will pass IMO.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Wednesday, 1 Feb 2017 at 2:54pm
tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Thursday, 2 Feb 2017 at 1:24pm

Whoever put Jim Banks in the same bracket as Lopez or Brewer needs their mouth washed out

Agreed they are functional art...If Brewers are like getting a rembrandt...Jim Banks boards would be like a wall print that you can buy from mitre 10

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 2 Feb 2017 at 2:06pm

Only 33K, Fong! Jeez, $20000 for Jim & the boys woodwork above is a bargain!

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Thursday, 2 Feb 2017 at 2:56pm

Chook get her to get you a JD that is functional art right there!!

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 3 Feb 2017 at 12:20pm

thanks for hte tip 50y. i just had a look at JD's website. some nice shapes and art work there. way too splashy for my subtle tastes. the unknown comic was my hero as a kid. i like to create a bit of mystery wherever i go.

also, if our new mate toru had been on a generic looking white board, not a bright yellow number, he might have been able to slip back into obscurity and keep surfing sandon.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Friday, 3 Feb 2017 at 4:30pm

I'm happy for Jim to charge whatever he can get away with. Not sure about the quoted 25 plus hours on a board though. They seem to knock em out pretty quickly around here. Perhaps he is adding in the drying/curing time while he's out back having a beer and smoko.

I'd definitely look at Johs Dowlings boards if I was going to pay that much.

surfiebum's picture
surfiebum's picture
surfiebum Friday, 12 May 2017 at 11:43am

I'm on his mailing list and just got an email saying he's stopping making boards!

Seems legit from the email "But unfortunately, the undeniable truth is that the almost entirely handcrafted process of building surfboards is a very complicated and far too unpredictable one. And that even at the current prices, there are just too many headaches for the meagre returns, and so at this point in time I'm pulling the pin"

Luke G's picture
Luke G's picture
Luke G Friday, 12 May 2017 at 2:02pm

No, wouldn't pay more than $800 and I'm financially comfortable.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 12 May 2017 at 12:11pm

Shame if its true !....meagre returns ?
Jims interestingly adding more rocker to his guns for more speed ......
Never could find out Jims so called superior glassing technique ?
But looking at the 4 week old 7'0 on his insty the deck is caned ...6x6x6 Lam ?

Webster can build a D.S. glassed to last in Australia for a touch under $800 ..

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Friday, 12 May 2017 at 1:23pm

I'd take functionality over art factor as I reckon most would. Pretty hard to sell a board for $2g when a lot of shapers would give you a whole quiver for the same price in Aus.

I've never paid more than $900.

Where would you ride a board like that? Unless you're in the upper echelons of aristocracy and funds are a trivial part of life you're not going to ride it on a shallow reef or a packed break etc etc

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 12 May 2017 at 2:22pm

Beautiful 5'7 limited edition magic carpet twin on Jims site
Futures boxes fitted standard glass job...but for $1295 i would at least want the futures boxes set accurately !

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Friday, 12 May 2017 at 2:58pm

It would appear Jim's foray into premium pricing has backfired...

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 12 May 2017 at 7:18pm

Yep says he is backing away from shaping http://www.jimbanksurf.com/shop

Luke G's picture
Luke G's picture
Luke G Friday, 12 May 2017 at 7:49pm

I don't buy into the hand crafted boards novelty, sure there are 'surfers' who probably spend more time looking and talking about their quiver than actually surfing waves.. that a handcrafted board will be seen as 'cool' but there is nothing wrong with 'machine cut' they all start out as handcrafted anyway and it benefits the customer by significantly reducing production costs.

Maybe Jim should move shop to Byron or Noosa plenty of cashed up hipsters and snobs who want something that a large majority cannot afford..

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 13 May 2017 at 1:39pm

I was talking to a bloke who bought a gun off Jim recently. His argument was that because it was extremely well constructed it would outlast several other boards and would actually save money in the long run.

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Saturday, 13 May 2017 at 5:49pm

Seems like lots of fins get set badly nowadays Udo . i reckon that you have to pay extra for good fin jobs, most of the time.
However jim Banks shapes are damn good especially for big perfect waves in indo , and hes an incredible tube rider too .
Starting price can be double in bali don't forget .perhaps some bartering about price ?

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Saturday, 13 May 2017 at 5:51pm

Double posted comment

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 13 May 2017 at 6:41pm

Jim was offering a 5 yr no breakage guarantee.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 14 May 2017 at 7:50pm

Udo, more rocker for more speed??
Please explain

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 14 May 2017 at 8:05pm

I read it on Jims insta....first pic of yellow gun.