Maatsuyker Island

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Sunday, 18 Dec 2016 at 4:10pm

Need a lifestyle change for 6 mths ?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 18 Dec 2016 at 4:15pm

Need a lifestyle change for 6 mths ? Volunteer caretaker - Maatsuyker Island Tasmania
ABC online.

stickyson's picture
stickyson's picture
stickyson Sunday, 18 Dec 2016 at 5:00pm

Been there done that, no picnic but a very unique experience

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 18 Dec 2016 at 6:04pm

sticky tell us about it ..the highs the lows the whole bit

stickyson's picture
stickyson's picture
stickyson Sunday, 18 Dec 2016 at 9:14pm

Yeah hard to put in words. Did winter 2015 basically priorities were maintenance keeping grounds in check, heaps of mowing and brushcutting. We were doing 3 weather obs a day it has now been cut back to two. Highs seeing the southern ocean in full flight with a maximum of 100knot gusts. That swell that lit up just about every spot in the Southern Hemisphere in June that year was pretty speccy. Having the place to yourself with no internet or tv. Great library down there lotsa different reading. Lows coldest winter in forty years with no heating took a bit of getting used to but that was about it. Never felt like Groundhog Day at any stage as there was always something different to get your head around. Not a ridable wave any where around the island paddle or tow. And not getting near the water was a bit weird when you are living on an island

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 18 Dec 2016 at 9:56pm

Got any pics and what wild life is on the island ?

stickyson's picture
stickyson's picture
stickyson Wednesday, 21 Dec 2016 at 8:37am

Yeah despite a 125 years of white habitation, no introduced species rats cats or mice and a weed eradication programme has nearly eradicated introduced species. so apart from a diverse bird range including about 800K pairs of shearwater. You only have the marsupial mouse and 3 varieties of skink, no snakes and fur seals Australian and NZ plus the odd elephant seal.

I know I have looked at It before but cant find it now, how do you post photos?

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Wednesday, 21 Dec 2016 at 9:47am

wow! i just had a look at some photos and a map. that is remote, rugged and scenic.

i bet that was quite an experience stayng there for a length of time. why no heating?
and landing a boat? that looks tricky.

wesley's picture
wesley's picture
wesley Wednesday, 21 Dec 2016 at 11:38am

Sticky did you spot any cape weed on Maat? Isle de Gulf looks like it is covered in it at the moment

stickyson's picture
stickyson's picture
stickyson Wednesday, 21 Dec 2016 at 1:09pm

Nah Wesley no cape weed the main introduced species left Montbretia.
Yeah chook old houses and you only have a couple of small heaters so yeah you could heat a room at a time but then you have constant mould problems, so we took a fresh air policy. Ive never appreciated one before but an electric blanket was a luxury. A gulch where you can land but you could only tie an inflatable up there to leave while you had a look around, but that gulch is also a seal haul out area.

Some one help me on how to load a couple photos cheers

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Wednesday, 21 Dec 2016 at 1:31pm

sticky look at the bottom of the page lfthand side click on "photos" explains how... Oops no it doesn't!! Ben, Craig , Stu ??

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 21 Dec 2016 at 2:21pm

Aerial vid on u tube of the island

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 21 Dec 2016 at 2:34pm

Wild place Sticky. But the fact you're smack bank in the Roaring 40s, have muliple rock outcrops, plus a leeward side to get out of the wind, yet still no surfable waves is one hell of a tease.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 21 Dec 2016 at 2:49pm

Wow that's pretty hardcore, I've lived and done some long stints in remote places and i really enjoyed it, but this place is the next level, no other people and rarely if ever any visitors and one of the most rugged places on earth.

A week would be cool, but i don't think i could do it long term, i think id go crazy.