Central America, sept, oct, nov.

Patrick's picture
Patrick started the topic in Thursday, 1 Sep 2016 at 11:46pm

G'day, I have a ticket that lands me in Costa Rica in about two weeks time.
I don't know much about Central American surfing spots or getting around or accommodation, etc.
I'm thinking of starting in Tamarindo area and then heading north to Popyo area in Nicaragua and then possibly El Salvador.
Would anyone like to give suggestions on best areas for surfing for the next three months (anywhere in CenAm)?
Places to stay? Are the surf camps and surf guides worth paying for?
Is driving safe? Is Nica and El Salv safe?
So basically, any info at this stage would be great!
Solo traveler using a short board.
Cheers.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 2 Sep 2016 at 9:20am

Never been but a good place to start is global surfers forum, lots of info there (if its ok with swellnet to post other forums)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 2 Sep 2016 at 9:31am

I had two friends travelling on a public bus at night in Costa Rica. The bus was stopped by machine-gun toting bandits. They were the only foreigners onboard and the bandits cleaned them out of everything they had except the clothes on their backs. They didn't rob the locals though so somehow the thieves had been tipped off there were foreigners onboard. This was around 2005. Hopefully things have changed.

Good waves though apparently.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 2 Sep 2016 at 10:08am

Wow Zen, I travelled through CR in '98 and it was very safe - regarded as the safest country in Central America anyway. Didn't have any problems at my end. I wonder which part of CR they were in? There's a much different vibe on the Caribbean coast to the Pacific. 

I imagine things have changed a lot since then but it's hard to go past Pavones - though it's in the far south, a long way from Tamarindo. Plenty of good waves wherever you go though and the crowds start to thin out as you head into Nicaragua (again, this may have changed). 

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 2 Sep 2016 at 10:32am

I know Ben, that's what they thought too.

They did Argentina, Chile, Peru, Ecuador etc pretty much the whole way up and didn't have a problem until they got nailed in CR. They weren't surfers though, just a young married couple obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time. I couldn't tell you the area the were in.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 2 Sep 2016 at 10:46am

Pavones looks amazing.

http://stabmag.com/stabcinema/pavones-is-for-screw-foots/

1:08 minutes looking as rip able a wave as you'll ever see.

As Kelly put it : That wave was just saying "hit me, hit me".

Zee Surfrider is from Deutschland !

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 2 Sep 2016 at 10:55am

friends have a holiday house south of tamarindo in costa rica. that area seemed pretty safe to me. there's plenty of surf around.... and plenty of surfers. it's only a five hour flight from new york or los angeles.

have a great time. i'm jealous.

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 6:10am

Thanks everyone. I leave in just over 24 hours. I'm starting in Tamarindo, swell and wind forecast is looking pretty good for next two weeks.
Enough swell for Pavones in a few days but the winds are forecast to be onshore there.
Once I'm there I'll chat to locals/ex-pats and plan next location.

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 2:32pm

Gary recommends check out Bordport in nicaragua to hire brand new performance surfboards and go surf the highly rippable waves in the area.

There's a spot there, that I now like to call 'Gary's', that is a heap of fun.

Seano30's picture
Seano30's picture
Seano30 Sunday, 11 Jun 2017 at 10:29am

Im heading to CR in sept this year. Ive been before in dry season, but was wondering how you went getting around in the wet and if you ended up making the trip to pavones? Any info appreciated. Cheers.

Seano30's picture
Seano30's picture
Seano30 Sunday, 11 Jun 2017 at 10:29am

Im heading to CR in sept this year. Ive been before in dry season, but was wondering how you went getting around in the wet and if you ended up making the trip to pavones? Any info appreciated. Cheers.