MP drawing Burleigh heads

thebeard's picture
thebeard started the topic in Wednesday, 17 Aug 2016 at 10:19pm

Work forced me to leave the empty points of vicco for the crowded breaks of the gold coast. Have to admin surfing in boardies is such a good feeling!

Took my son out to Burleigh and as we get out of the water and walk to the car, he notices the MP drawing on the side of the surf life savers. I told him all I knew about MP, but couldn't answer two questions who made the drawing and what was MP doing there, standing like that. I know it's originally a picture. So I googled around but couldn't get the story.

When I asked my son what he thought what mp was doing he figured mp looked scared and was hiding. For some that hit me right in the feels.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 22 Aug 2016 at 6:47am

Great topic. Must admit I can't recall the exact story, but have a feeling it was shortly after he exited the water from the Final of the Stubbies?

Can't believe this film is 7 years ago.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 22 Aug 2016 at 7:10am

The original photo was taken as MP tripped and landed against the wall .
Tullemans or Hugh Mc may have been the photog ?

thebeard's picture
thebeard's picture
thebeard Monday, 22 Aug 2016 at 2:29pm

Thans ben & Udo, appreciate it! what a simple painting can do. Found myself digging up every little shred of info I can find on mp. Even though there's lot of info available he remains a mysterious guy to me. Even makes me rethink my own surfing. if only I could unleash a fraction of the energy mp had in his surfing...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 22 Aug 2016 at 3:08pm

Beard have you read both books, searching for MP and the Untold story ?

thebeard's picture
thebeard's picture
thebeard Monday, 22 Aug 2016 at 3:32pm

Im a little ashamed to admit i haven't, Udo. I guess the man behind the story never captured my attention that much. And I'm not quite sure why it does now, must be because I'm turning 40 this monh and finally getting to that stage in life where you get to value quality. Fark, before you know it I'll be riding mals and cluttering the line up: hahahaha

thebeard's picture
thebeard's picture
thebeard Monday, 22 Aug 2016 at 3:40pm

Just purchased untold story book, thanks udo

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 22 Aug 2016 at 4:39pm

The movie Searching for Michael Peterson is better than the books imo

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Monday, 22 Aug 2016 at 8:16pm

Always made me quite sad the original photo...it's like you could see the vulnerability of his mental illness just below the surface...like he was only just hanging on to reality.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 22 Aug 2016 at 8:49pm

Thats the beauty of the picture it captures the fragility of the man.