Board bags

sandy's picture
sandy started the topic in Saturday, 5 Mar 2016 at 11:23am

On the hunt for a new board bag to take a couple of boards - a 7'2 and short board (6'4)
Ideally something with good padding etc so I don't have to wrap up the boards much (if at all if possible) for travelling.
Anyone recommend a particular brand? Got an old O&E bag which has lasted but zips busted (as usual) and too small....
Thanks!

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Saturday, 5 Mar 2016 at 8:42pm

Still using the Ocean and earth and surf aids covers from the 1990's , not a joke . Would i pay for a new board cover these days na , go green and just save beer cartons wrap and tape a board buy a cloth cover do they even exist anymore???? mine are from the 80's still going strong, . I should buy some before they do not exist

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 5 Mar 2016 at 9:05pm

crustt surfboard covers .....Scott will be along shortly.

mrmik's picture
mrmik's picture
mrmik Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 10:31am

Surf Aids Byron Bay. Ask them to add an additional layer of white material on the outside, that keeps it much cooler.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 11:32am

I'm doing a load of covers next month if you want to order one, but if you want it fast I'm not your guy. If you get down to Ulladulla, get in touch with Kirk he has about 40 of my covers from 6'0" to 10'0"(no mals) and from memory there is a few double bags in that lot http://kbsurf.com/surfboards/

Has anybody actually bought a surf aides cover this century? Looked at there price list a few times and if I could charge their prices I'd be in heaven.

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 11:38am

Hi crustt, do you have a website or contact?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 12:23pm

I ordered a 9'0 cover from crust last year. Quality made and a fair price.

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 12:41pm
crustt wrote:

Has anybody actually bought a surf aides cover this century? Looked at there price list a few times and if I could charge their prices I'd be in heaven.

Yeah I got a SurfAids cover, full travel 10mm job. That was before I got you to make me one.
Not impressed with the SurfAids cover at all, lightweight zip which isn't long enough and cover is very basic i.e. no pockets. Also I spoke to them on the phone and emailed board dims but the cover ended up too tight for intended board. Overpriced too, but I could't give a shit about a few dollars if the product is good.
Can't go wrong with a Crustt cover.

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 12:47pm

Brought a bag a couple of years ago from a company that spruiked 25 odd years of manufacturing experience, I thought with their blurb on the website they were made local, but gave it a clean out and removed melted wax the other day and half way down the inside cover is a made in china tag. On their website I checked and still claiming manufacturing experience but doesn't say where they are made, no reply from them by email either when queried if locally made or brought in. Buyer beware I guess

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 1:24pm

FCS bags are great quality, but expensive $$$.

Make sure whatever surf bag ya get has nylon zippers so they won't rust. Avoid those with stainless steel zippers

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 2:30pm

You can still get very well made bags in bali, totally custom, colours fits,pockets whatever you want, a single bag about 30 bucks and triple for 60 ish, board socks about 10, take a couple days if you order but they also have stock. Couple guys situated on poppy's, don't try haggle or you will pay more, order a couple and prices get better. You can pack one into the other and or put your current bag inside to bring them home

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 4:39pm

Hey chin, yeah I remember talking about the surfaids covers with you, and a couple of kneeboarders have said the same.
What's the problem the stainless steel zippers mcsc? I've been thinking of using them when I run out of nylon sliders.

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 4:47pm
crustt wrote:

Hey chin, yeah I remember talking about the surfaids covers with you, and a couple of kneeboarders have said the same.
What's the problem the stainless steel zippers mcsc? I've been thinking of using them when I run out of nylon sliders.

Rust

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 5:19pm

316 marine grade?

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 5:24pm

No, crustt. The cheap chinese alloy stuff the big surf bag co's use mate

But seriously, never had a problem with the nylon zippers

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 5:46pm

Stainless are better I think, you can't smash them to pieces and no problems with u/v.

I used some on a few mates covers and they're going strong, also they are a third of the price they used to be.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 6:03pm

If left in storage give the zippers a little wash every now and then, salt build up really destroys a lot of bags ive had left in storage.

sandy's picture
sandy's picture
sandy Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 9:38pm

Thanks Crustt and everyone for the tips. Leaving early April for a trip so see if I can make it to Ulladulla before then.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 6 Mar 2016 at 9:46pm
uncle_leroy wrote:

Brought a bag a couple of years ago from a company that spruiked 25 odd years of manufacturing experience, I thought with their blurb on the website they were made local, but gave it a clean out and removed melted wax the other day and half way down the inside cover is a made in china tag. On their website I checked and still claiming manufacturing experience but doesn't say where they are made, no reply from them by email either when queried if locally made or brought in. Buyer beware I guess

Please name n shame , u leroy?

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Monday, 7 Mar 2016 at 9:18am

Nearly everyone on ebay camel, the most obvious is when they use the term "Australian owned company". Personally I would like to thank all those people who took very little notice of me when I banged on about buying Australian made, your support for the Chinese economy has created a middle class that has found a love for travel and they have been coming to stay with me :-) pays better than sewing and the hours are good.

Here is a link to my contact detail and some of my work sandy. https://plus.google.com/u/0/105030718167416608552/about

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 7 Mar 2016 at 10:11am

I liked the old Mambo tag: "Made near Australia."

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Monday, 7 Mar 2016 at 10:23am

Is that like "Designed in Australia"?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 7 Mar 2016 at 10:33am

or 'Made by someone who would like to live in Australia'.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Monday, 7 Mar 2016 at 10:47am

I'm surprised some smarty hasn't used the tag "made n Australasia", I reckon that would slip by 99 times out of 100.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 7 Mar 2016 at 2:49pm
crustt wrote:

I'm surprised some smarty hasn't used the tag "made n Australasia", I reckon that would slip by 99 times out of 100.

I just got that copy written..... Gonna make a fortune..... Thanks, crust......

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 7 Mar 2016 at 4:47pm
Sheepdog wrote:
crustt wrote:

I just got that copy written..... Gonna make a fortune..... Thanks, crust......

Go halves with Crust.... It's in writing here on SN;)

davel's picture
davel's picture
davel Wednesday, 14 Feb 2018 at 5:00pm

Any up to date contact info for Crustt. Keen to get a board bag made up. The link dated 7/3/16 did not work.
Thanks.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 14 Feb 2018 at 6:34pm

Facebook -Scott Mcdonald crustt

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 17 Sep 2018 at 7:50pm

All the best with your recovery Crustt..

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 18 Sep 2018 at 7:12am

What happened?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 18 Sep 2018 at 7:57am

Stroke.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 7:56pm

Anyone got or had board-bags from this NZ mob?

https://www.curvesurf.com.au/collections/featured-products/products/surf...

Got an outlier Mini Simmons thing that is as wide as a fridge door.

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Monday, 15 Oct 2018 at 9:02pm

Gidday facto, yeah I have one of their Armourdillo Travel SHORTBOARD Surfboard Bag Single Mega. Way more protection than anything else. Price is great. Service really good, really easy guys to deal with. Around 5 years old, still top condition, handled some rough treatment os on ferries, roro's, trucks etc.

https://www.curvesurf.com.au/collections/surfboard-bags-australia-surfbo...

Great minds facto...

yeti's picture
yeti's picture
yeti Tuesday, 16 Oct 2018 at 10:16am

I can vouch for the Curve travel bag:
https://www.curvesurf.com.au/collections/surfboard-bags-australia-surfbo...

Awesome protection for boards, and enough space and pockets in there that you don't need another bag on a surf trip (while still being fairly practical). Plus the multiple very robust handles make it super easy to carry, even with 2 or 3 boards inside.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 16 Oct 2018 at 11:38am

Thanks fellas, reckon you've sold me. I like that it looks like it will take the ultra-wide little Mini Simmons as well as my 'normal' equipment. And with a 7'0 version will be able to sleep in it too!

Taiwan, here I come. Again.

Actually before that, Crypto, doing a west coast road-trip next month. Short but sweet. Mate's ferrying his kids over for the Aussie titles. Going to catch up with the fellas round that neck of the woods.

Huzzah!

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Tuesday, 16 Oct 2018 at 1:53pm

That explains seeing a freshly inked, young bordless in Lincoln on the weekend, purchasing a new vacuum cleaner and cleaning prods, in a desperate attempt to spruce the quarters up.

If young bordless lures you down to slusheries... again... catch up facto.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 16 Oct 2018 at 3:06pm

Ride the tiger! You can see his stripes, but you know he's clean!

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Tuesday, 16 Oct 2018 at 10:43pm

Yeh facto, no doubting the young bordless when its real... swillnuttin' doubters be very, very carefull, he might give a nod, and 'gift' the swillnut doubters one of those 'not so bad' lefts that he love so very much... and that fucking no mercy left... the swillnut doubters 'artistry' better be fucking real...