Dean Morrison at it again

staitey's picture
staitey started the topic in Monday, 29 Feb 2016 at 8:34am

Now I know this topic to some may be like complaining about the heat in Alice Springs but here goes anyway.

Was out on the Snapper stretch on Saturday afternoon. Smaller than I thought it was going to be, barely any sweep so crowds were in full force…..no worries Saturday at snapper what do you expect?

I was paddling around for quite a while looking for any wave to get me down the point when a reform white water came my wave, I was on the inside sweet! Got up, wave began at little marley and grew into this absolute dream race track. Got about 30m down this gorgeous beast and someone with a Mad Huey's sticker decides it was his turn, looking closer I realised it was Dean Morrison. I screamed every world appropriate for such an act, he decided to turn around and yell at me and when the wave began to barrel I got faded and caught inside and he………..well, he probably got shacked of his dial for the 30th time that day whilst I was left floundering on the inside wondering if that could've been one of the best waves I've ever had……

……Ok so suffice to say I had a shocker for the rest of the session and left to go home a little dejected. We've all had this, you either get a few screamers or you get nothing. But I think I was most disappointed at Dean and all the other pros out there. The extent to which they were going to to deprive average joe's like myself waves was out of control!

I saw Fanning, Parko, The Huey's (Deuy and Lewie in tow) snake and drop in on normal punters on nearly every wave they caught. One of Brent Dorrington's tactics was to drop in and stay high, hope the guy would just give up. If he didn't give up he'd bide his time above the wave's true owner and when he spotted a barrel section would pick up speed to get in front and once in the pit the poor bloke on the inside has no chance. I saw the Hazza's do this as well double dropping in on blokes!

But anyway that's my rant. Deano if you're reading (ha, that's a joke course you can't) you are as despicable as every person on other forums has attested to following similar episodes caught on camera.

What can we do???

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 1:52pm

This is relevant, but nothing short of a set of a pistol would be able to enforce it on a crowded day at the Superbank. The ideal of waiting your turn doesn't really work when there's a few hundred people in the water. For some it might mean a lot more waves, but on the other hand you'd be asking Fanning, DM and 'the Mad Hueys' (my least favorite trend of the year), to go from taking a bunch of set waves and scores of shittier ones to getting 3 or 4 waves a session.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 1:56pm
stunet wrote:

Overcrowding on the Gold Coast? Pros dropping in? The only thing that surprises me is that anyone else is surprised by it.

Extract from Australian Surfing Life, January 1994:

Five years on, surfing at Kirra during the one or two swells that arrive each year, has become, well, painful.

This year 160 pros, enticed by Rabbit's Midas-like touch, flew out for the Billabong Kirra Pro in March. Every morning - Jesus! Before 5:30am even - Kirra's Big Groyne and inside section were hideously packed. Gumbies and the world famous all fighting like pigs at the swill trough for the opportunity to stand inside the Kirra Barrel.

"It was shithouse," grumbled former world champ Barton Lynch. "I had a few good waves but it's dissappointing to surf such good waves with so many people in the water. It's the worst place in the world to surf for crowds. It's worse than Pipeline."

"You have to drop in or you don't surf," said Slater.

Added Rob Bain: "It's probably the most crowded surf I've ever seen. Some of my mates were saying: 'this is the most perfect surf I've been out in but I can't get waves'."

"The bottom line was, you drop in or you don't get a wave," says former Gold Coaster Tony Ray.

"The first few surfs I had I wasn't dropping in and I couldn't get a wave. It was when I started dropping in I had some good surfs. That's pretty sad."

There have been a few people that have pointed out that this wouldn't happen in Vic .... yadda yadda
Well it definitely didn't happen prior to 15-20 years . Most coasts barring the immediate vicinity of Torquay was well regimented . Its a shame in the incident Evo pointed out , that there was a touch of racism in the incident , but unanimously there was zero tolerance of self importance in that particular microcosm .
But they are wrong , the man mentioned above by stu , who probably had the seed all along ( of which his stint on the GC most likely was well watered ) . Is still at it to this day at the most sensitive of Spots . Well his quiet nature , immense humility ( when he was "almost " robbed of the sports greatest accolades ) have him held in the highest stead . Drop ins are definitely not his game , how ever sliding to the inside and taking the cream of every crop doesn't go unnoticed . And now that there is a fresh influx of visitors and youngsters there , the example it sends to these guys has been set . Regardless if you can take off miles inside everyone and get multiple barrels where others fear , its not the best look when you get the best 10 waves in the day along with 20 other run of the mills . Compared to the rest of the packs avg of 5 ......
Anyway , VicS1 , Wharfie , GreyH . Its happening , just not on the level of the GC .
The irony is that this man could probably easily do better than most tow teams over in Camels hunting ground . Inspirational yes , i'm not so sure he would be invited .... maybe

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 1:57pm

" I genuinely think 90% of people want good etiquette in the line up - only insular 'locals' and pro's and their hanger-oners appear to be the ones that don't care. "

therein lies the problem , the good surfers who have some sort of claim to being a local , with the guys that fight good , they do care, about catching all the waves for them and their clique.

naming and shaming will never work because everybody does it , and a peaceful protest might see you banned or dropped in on for the rest of your life , so who will take the risk?

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 1:57pm
sharkman wrote:

had a gutful of what , human behavior?

Udo has the right idea , back to violence in the surf , he who fights best gets all the waves , shit is there any difference between the best surfers and the best fighters?

ah the best surfers probably have the best fighters backing them up , and that's what surfing is , anarchy!

A gutful of not just "human behavior" but more specifically arrogant, disrespectful, dangerous behavior. There is a difference,but maybe your a perpetrator of it so you don't see it that way or are happy to except it & the fact that it isn't going to get any better if things don't change......

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 2:13pm
freeride76 wrote:

Easy enough to go tell Mick Fanning what you think in person....

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/02/27/20/00/mick-fanning-and-joel-...

yeah coz beer and anger / emotion go together ......

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 2:16pm

I surf for the fun, enjoyment and relaxation of a good session. I like to follow etiquette, and just because others want to drop in, snake the inside, and I let them them know politely, but for it to escalate would just ruin my session. It is tempting to follow suit but two wrongs don't make it right and I consider it dangerous.
My mates and I surf a beach break with just a couple of us out, sacrificing a bit of quality for less hassle and more waves, especially on the weekends. I'm over the 3 hour session at the Superbank for very few waves and then only to be dropped in on anyway, but this shouldn't have to be the case.
I don't know the answer except something has to be done about education and the pro,s need to set an example, these guys get to ride perfect waves all over the world, greed, ego,s and ignorance.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 2:33pm

Opening night at the Pro bar...get a guts full of piss ...cameras rolling hit them with the questions -
Fanning why the fuck do you think its acceptable to do what you do
Do you fucking do it at Jbay do you fucking do it at Pipe ..would you roll into Penong and try that shit at Caves.....why do you think its acceptable ..

eh cmon cunt answer the question...Dingo your fucking next !
Wheres Ronnie B......gone into hiding....?

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 3:09pm

From my recollection the Gnat Nat punch out got extensive media and importantly got the message out there. Some of Angus boys still think they are Nat but it does not take too much reaction for them to pull up.
Yeah, maybe shark man's idea is right for this.

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 3:15pm
sharkman wrote:

naming and shaming will never work because everybody does it , and a peaceful protest might see you banned or dropped in on for the rest of your life , so who will take the risk?

I doubt anyone is going the 'ban' you if you rolled up to Snapper with a megaphone and started dishing out stick to imbeciles. I reckon you could do it in a fairly funny and constructive way. I'd say the worst you'd cop would be a bit of verbal abuse from disgruntled old fellas.

But why not? Bit of awareness? This is the problem isn't it, no one willing to stand up and have their say? I reckon people might appreciate it, have a giggle and think twice.

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 3:16pm
udo wrote:

Opening night at the Pro bar...get a guts full of piss ...cameras rolling hit them with the questions -
Do you fucking do it at Jbay do you fucking do it at Pipe ..would you roll into Penong and try that shit at Caves.....why do you think its acceptable ..

I would pay good money to see this!

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 3:41pm

Maybe you should lobby the Gc council/gov to turn the pump off again..instead of having one glorious long super wave break it down to 2, 3 or 4 waves..makes ya wonder why people keep paddling out once the see a crowd..bit like ants I guess..fuck I haven't surfed with a crowd over 10 in years!!
Mick and Joel have been respectful when in south oz..pretty easy to lose a body down here though!

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 4:18pm
Rabbits68 wrote:
sharkman wrote:

Udo has the right idea , back to violence in the surf , he who fights best gets all the waves , shit is there any difference between the best surfers and the best fighters?

ah the best surfers probably have the best fighters backing them up , and that's what surfing is , anarchy!

A gutful of not just "human behavior" but more specifically arrogant, disrespectful, dangerous behavior. There is a difference,but maybe your a perpetrator of it so you don't see it that way or are happy to except it & the fact that it isn't going to get any better if things don't change......

when there is no real law , rules , we get a situation where the survival of the fittest and in this case the best and the most violent in surfing rule the waves .

where does it say that everybody is equal in the surf, what are the rules,written by who , and enforced by who?

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 4:40pm
sharkman wrote:
Rabbits68 wrote:
sharkman wrote:

when there is no real law , rules , we get a situation where the survival of the fittest and in this case the best and the most violent in surfing rule the waves .

where does it say that everybody is equal in the surf, what are the rules,written by who , and enforced by who?

I think you & some others have missed the point of this thread. Anyone suggesting that at Snapper etc it's a case of wait your turn is clearly dreaming, that's not the issue. Your right, not all are equal in any line-up. Where talking about a handful of "locals & pros" who are just relentlessly burning people whenever it suits them & are happy say that they don't give a fuck. To think that this mentality won't spread is pretty naive IMO.

It's interesting that you point out that there are no rules in the surf & yet the act of dropping-in has always been a no no, the great unwritten rule, one that I grew up from the late 70's adhereing to anyway.

I think the whole point of this discussion is to understand that the spread of people burning people will continue if it's allowed to & maybe only when it turns up at your favorite spot you might actually give a fuck. Maybe not....

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 4:50pm
Blowin wrote:

Blind boy still brutalised by the Shaun Thompson drop in 40 years ago telling people to put up or shut up.

I'm not calling you out BB.

Well, I am.

But I'm also totally in agreement with you.

Just watching the vids of those Goldy sessions makes me feel crook.

Don't know how you can do it to yourselves....

....until you're the dog having his day and the crowd miraculously parts before you every set .

Good memory there blowin' but brutalised no, a good learning experience on the way to removing myself from that kind of environment. I didn't have enough desire to put the hours in on the North Shore to get the respect that would have prevented, or at least reduced, that kind of experience. People talk about respect as though it is an absolute when it is always relative. Do I respect the guy who turns up at my local only on the best days of the year equally with someone who is out there all the time? No way. I will paddle straight past number one in the line up. Number two can have any wave he wants.

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 5:19pm

shit BB, did shaun do that to you?

No wonder he still can't go to Hawaii , he hassled BB!!

curly2alex's picture
curly2alex's picture
curly2alex Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 5:47pm

I thought snapper was dingo's, Mick's etc local break. The place they grew up surfing, getting pushed around as grommets and then shining through to become professional surfers in their own right. I know if I went there I would not expect a wave, same if I went to north narra and it was firing.
Now if 300 blow in / Johnny come lately rocked up at my local when it was going off I would drop in,snake and hassle for all I was worth and not feel guilty one bit. One thing I would do, and I assume they do as well is support the local grommets and maybe give them the crumbs every now and again.
LOCALS ONLY.

Purplepills's picture
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 6:12pm

Don't buy the product - the mad huey's dingo is sponsored by them and the hazza twins are they co-owners all I know is Nathan 'noodles' Webster is behind it in some capacity and it is pissing off billabong shareholders no end he is suppose to be promoting the RVCA BILLABONG route as he is paid to do.

Pretty funny that a guy like noodles part of the 'catfish' gang who modelled themselves as being trendy and fashionista's is responsible for the biggest goon bag - bogan - summernats surf label - UNIT or AFENDS shit might as well rock around in a HSV holden shit.

Deano already got his at cooly pub might need a reminder. Ash pacer nearly lost a eye - spearing boards sorry pal.

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 6:36pm

You're right Curly2 Alex, it is their local break (although technically when they were growing up it was several different breaks - Snapper, Rainbow, Greeny and Kirra - does D'Bah also count? - How many breaks can you claim?). They should be given some dues for being 'locals', but it stands to reason if they're fit and skilled, they should have the ability and knowledge to get their share, or even better, without resorting to blatant burnings.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 6:46pm
staitey wrote:
udo wrote:

I would pay good money to see this!

Skimmed over many comments but this one takes the cake IMO. X2 Udes....

I haven't surfed the place for 3 years now!

Next time I do, I will definitely drop in and fade any of these cock smokers...

I actually can't wait now.....:)

I have a feeling that the next TC or low pressure forming of this coast,is gonna be similar to the last one, but way better.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 7:15pm

Theres a few comments I have read here somewhat trying to justify the behaviour such as the best surfers get the best waves its their local blah blah blah. The original poster Staitey tells his story of Dingo dropping in on what could have been the wave of his life he didn't mention snaking, catching more waves, Parko, Fanning and the Hueys till the end.

The point of the post was the low act of Pros or anyone for that matter dropping in simple as that. Now as for a solution to this behaviour I suggest not targeting the clothing sponsors but the board sponsors whose profit margins would be a bit tighter if they choose to sponsor alleged arse holes their product can suffer.

As for the Gold Coast Surf Management plan wankfest can any individual get onboard and will they or will it be typical of any focus group and be dominated by those with vested interests. Ben I will let you cover that.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 7:17pm
evosurfer wrote:

I heard on good authority back in the late 70s or 80s the Vicco boys
took care of the heavy pro Hawaiians of the time. But back then you
wouldn't surf my local point break either without the ultimate respect.
Politically correctness has a lot to answer for.
I wonder if any of these pro dicks would ever read any of this?

Would love to hear this story.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 7:32pm

Those advocating violence, survival of the fittest and might is right might want to reconsider what this kind of thinking did to the original inhabitants of this country.

Anarchy and self - made rule of law aren't restricted to the surf .

But having said that...... I just shared a brilliant session with a Saffa ripper, taking turns and sharing the waves.

Might not have seemed so brilliant to the gronk Euros that we paddled rings around throughout the entire session though.

Best surfers get the best waves.....but the gap in ability better be so stark that to pipe up would just be downright embarrassing .

And as for the best surfers being backed up by the best fighters, best watch out because the insidious bastardisation that is the commercialisation of surfing is only just starting to truly take form.... Surfing bodyguards / paid enforcers !

Already happens in Indo and Hawaii.

Coming to a beach near you.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 7:26pm
sharkman wrote:

I think there might be a few other places that Shaun the prawn is less than welcome......I don't know if I told the full story of that drop in before but it was a very calculated move that achieved its objective.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 7:36pm

Throw another prawn on the barbie.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 7:41pm
blindboy wrote:
sharkman wrote:

I think there might be a few other places that Shaun the prawn is less than welcome......I don't know if I told the full story of that drop in before but it was a very calculated move that achieved its objective.

I don't know your Shaun story BB but maybe it was in the name playing hard, survival of the fittest but on that occasion you were on the receiving end?!?

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 7:46pm
Blowin wrote:

Those advocating violence, survival of the fittest and might is right might want to reconsider what this kind of thinking did to the original inhabitants of this country.

Anarchy and self - made rule of law aren't restricted to the surf .

But having said that...... I just shared a brilliant session with a Saffa ripper, taking turns and sharing the waves.

Might not have seemed so brilliant to the gronk Euros that we paddled rings around throughout the entire session though.

Best surfers get the best waves.....but the gap in ability better be so stark that to pipe up would just be downright embarrassing .

And as for the best surfers being backed up by the best fighters, best watch out because the insidious bastardisation that is the commercialisation of surfing is only just starting to truly take form.... Surfing bodyguards / paid enforcers !

Already happens in Indo and Hawaii.

Coming to a beach near you.

So did you drop in on the Euros when they caught their 1 wave for the session?
As for the state of affairs the lineups need Alpha males who will refuse to drop in and call out anyone who blatantly does so and not Beta-males who hunt in a pack not giving a shit about who they drop in on when riding their limited waves. Punters who make a real contribution to society as tradesmen, nurses, doctors, police officers etc who are making the most of their valuable time off.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 7:56pm

No mate, I don't drop in.....unless it's a deserved payback or a heads up to a social reject.

Some people only understand consequences.

Then I don The Blowin's cape of civil justice and save the world...but I have previously been punched in the face for this.

PS. Apologies to The Gary for borrowing his third person MO for a second there.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 7:53pm
Blowin wrote:

No mate, I don't drop in.....unless it's a deserved payback or a heads up to a social reject.

Some people only understand consequences.

Then I don the Blowin's cape of civil justice and save the world...but I have previously been punched n the face for this.

Thats good to know Blowin. So who punched you and why??

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 7:59pm

That story is on Swellnet somewhere.

It's called " Toe to Toe " .

All the detail you could ever want .

Maybe try the search thingy , if it's working.

Wait a second ....your glad I was punched in the face ?

Most people wait until they've met me before they make that call *.

* That's not entirely true.

There is surely a couple on here that would like to punch me in the face.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 7:56pm
thermalben wrote:

I am on the committee of the Gold Coast Surf Council.

Whos on the committee ben what are their connections to the surf related industries?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 8:00pm

And how did you end up on a Gold Coast Surf Council committee when you don't live there ?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 8:02pm
Rabbits68 wrote:
blindboy wrote:
sharkman wrote:

I don't know your Shaun story BB but maybe it was in the name playing hard, survival of the fittest but on that occasion you were on the receiving end?!?

I am happy to admit that I have been on the receiving end many times. I would say that it's character building but it isn't. You paddle in, press erase and go again ASAP. Or you recognise your limitations and move on. The Shaun drop in had nothing to do with that. I surfed with him quite a bit and that was the only time he did the full blatant drop in. There was an agenda.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 8:06pm

I remember that one blowin. Always a good read.
http://www.swellnet.com/forums/wax/12736

curly2alex's picture
curly2alex's picture
curly2alex Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 8:15pm

Tom Carroll had the reputation of a drop in artist also.
If anyone remembers the movie...."do not surf with the dingo, he will drop in"
If i went to his home break i would expect it, if he came to mine i would belt him if he snaked/dropped in?
These pros have respect when they venture to other breaks that aren't their locals.
Pumping and crowded....go play golf if you can't handle it.

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 8:17pm
blindboy wrote:
Rabbits68 wrote:
blindboy wrote:
sharkman wrote:

I am happy to admit that I have been on the receiving end many times. I would say that it's character building but it isn't. You paddle in, press erase and go again ASAP. Or you recognise your limitations and move on. The Shaun drop in had nothing to do with that. I surfed with him quite a bit and that was the only time he did the full blatant drop in. There was an agenda.

Fair enough. Still can't quite work you out BB. Carry on.....

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 8:19pm
lostdoggy wrote:

I remember that one blowin. Always a good read.
http://www.swellnet.com/forums/wax/12736

Great read have read it before thanks for the reminder.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 8:32pm
Wharfjunkie wrote:
thermalben wrote:

I am on the committee of the Gold Coast Surf Council.

Whos on the committee ben what are their connections to the surf related industries?

I think most of the names are on the Surf Council website..can't think of them all offhand. Will track it down tomorrow.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 8:36pm
Blowin wrote:

And how did you end up on a Gold Coast Surf Council committee when you don't live there ?

Not sure if the committee's eligibility should be based on your postcode (it's not like every council in the country has a surf committee). But as to how I got on there? I was invited.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 8:56pm

Cool.

No doubt you'd be a good addition.

It's not like I know you personally , but I respect your approach with the site.

I'm sure you're stoked to have my approval....

But, fact remains there isn't enough voices of reason contributing to discussions involving surfers.

As has been said on this thread , Surfing Australia is an abomination and the fucking rag traders are up to their ball bags in politicians and tourism Australia as far as setting the tone for discourse regarding the appropriatness and overall benefit to the surfing community of a continuance of the current trajectory of increased surfers / co opting of breaks for commercial purposes.

In a perfect world you'd be the Ian Stagles of Western Angler Vs the Pro angling mob.

Oblique reference, I know.

Apologies , I'm too many bintangs in to care enough to do better.

Cheers cunts.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 8:51pm

Haha.. All good. Everyone on the committee has a different background and brings a different approach to the table. It's been interesting seeing how things work with council too.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 9:00pm

They seem to have let their domain name lapse!

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 9:06pm

Expected as much from Dingo after reading a story about a Mentawai boat trip where he caught every wave he could regardless of his boat "mates" who had paid big money for their dream trip who somehow shared a beer with him through gritted teeth each night. But am surprised at Mick. Most of those guys could get their share simply by taking off way inside and playing by the rules. One dark night it may come back to haunt them when some drunk or methed up guy spots them after getting burned one too many times. Not something I would like to live with.

Personally I have got my share of waves and uncrowded sessions at the superbank outside peak times (would never go there pre Quickie Pro). The biggest snapper section was always full on but not the whole point. The sign-posted hyped swells seem to get stupid but on a day to day basis it is a long break that breaks a lot and the locals seem a bit spoiled. Some slow 3-4 ft days that at my locals would be one of the sessions of the year seemed a bit ho hum for them. A Sunday at the peak of the swell was ridiculous but once everyone who mentally said to themselves "the word is out that points are pumping, I must surf them today" had packed it out for a day things settled right down.

I saw fun little waves out at Kirra with no - one out or just a few tourists quite a few times. 500 metres north of Kirra there was a bank catching the swell at an angle and creating fun long rights and I never saw anyone go near it over a week. The miles of beach breaks around Surfers are great fun on smaller swells. I would not feel too sorry for Qld surfers.

Over this February it looked packed quite often on the cams but if you picked your time and place over 15 days of swell you would get waves - just not on THE days when the suns out and the pros are warming up and and getting their photos.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 9:19pm

Good call Frog.

There's still gold in them thar hills.

I've actually had a fun surf at the super bank - is it still called that ? - and next day watched literally the most crowded , lawless session I've ever witnessed go down .

Even Slater and Fred Patatchia were crying over it.

Was fun enough from the rocks with a beer in hand and sharing some chuckles as it happened though.

I'm pretty sure there would have been some spots PUMPING on the East coast during that swell without 500000000000 cunts out.

DamonS's picture
DamonS's picture
DamonS Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 9:58pm

There are unintentional drop ins, and there are the drop ins described above; calculated, malicious and dangerous. The latter cannot be abided. I'm relatively unaffected by the goings on of the GC, but I was gobsmacked by the step offs from jet skis in crowds a few weeks back - this wouldn't happen without consequence around here. The perpetrators seem to represent 1%. Then there are the multitude of sycophants that enable them, and those that see fit to copy their example. Then there is the ubiquitous silent majority.

If someone looks you in the eye and then drops in, you need to call them on it. If you don't, don't complain. If you lower you eyes because you don't want to be seen criticising a local hero, don't complain. You have to stand up for yourself.

It seems these pros are no longer accountable to anyone. They have obtained their hero status, got their money, and their inflated ego - you having a verbal crack probably does nothing more than stroke it.

Retaliating with violence, or drop ins, ditching boards, etc is pointless and dangerous. And it won't work. To make a big shift in the behaviour of the masses takes leadership - it's these same pros that are in the position to best do this. Sad to think they would take this privilege and power for granted.

At the end of the day, if they won't take the lead on this by setting the right example, they are answerable to one thing - the beast/industry that feeds them. I/many have no or passing interest in competitive surfing, but they do. You want to make a stand? An opportunity presents itself in a few weeks does it not? Make your stand in their space, during their comp. Bring attention to it. Paddle out in the middle of the finals, en masse. It will be everywhere. Shine a light on the local heroes, who should be setting the example, and who are behaving like dicks. I'm surprised it hasn't been done before. Won't be long before a fellow competitor, a WSL master, a sponsor, local Council, someone says pull your head in. They don't think they have a boss - everyone has a boss.

It would be interesting to see, but I expect its unlikely to happen. Again, if you don't stand up for yourself and the values you believe in, nothing is going to change.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 10:17pm
DamonS wrote:

There are unintentional drop ins, and there are the drop ins described above; calculated, malicious and dangerous. The latter cannot be abided. I'm relatively unaffected by the goings on of the GC, but I was gobsmacked by the step offs from jet skis in crowds a few weeks back - this wouldn't happen without consequence around here. The perpetrators seem to represent 1%. Then there are the multitude of sycophants that enable them, and those that see fit to copy their example. Then there is the ubiquitous silent majority.

If someone looks you in the eye and then drops in, you need to call them on it. If you don't, don't complain. If you lower you eyes because you don't want to be seen criticising a local hero, don't complain. You have to stand up for yourself.

It seems these pros are no longer accountable to anyone. They have obtained their hero status, got their money, and their inflated ego - you having a verbal crack probably does nothing more than stroke it.

Retaliating with violence, or drop ins, ditching boards, etc is pointless and dangerous. And it won't work. To make a big shift in the behaviour of the masses takes leadership - it's these same pros that are in the position to best do this. Sad to think they would take this privilege and power for granted.

At the end of the day, if they won't take the lead on this by setting the right example, they are answerable to one thing - the beast/industry that feeds them. I/many have no or passing interest in competitive surfing, but they do. You want to make a stand? An opportunity presents itself in a few weeks does it not? Make your stand in their space, during their comp. Bring attention to it. Paddle out in the middle of the finals, en masse. It will be everywhere. Shine a light on the local heroes, who should be setting the example, and who are behaving like dicks. I'm surprised it hasn't been done before. Won't be long before a fellow competitor, a WSL master, a sponsor, local Council, someone says pull your head in. They don't think they have a boss - everyone has a boss.

It would be interesting to see, but I expect its unlikely to happen. Again, if you don't stand up for yourself and the values you believe in, nothing is going to change.

If I am on the GoldCoast on quikpro finals day I will join the paddle out lineup invasion.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 10:32pm

Hey blindboy back in the day 1977 Shaun Thompson gave me one of my best waves
I have ever had at sunset. He blocked it for me everybody thought he was going
and just told me to go and I was gone. I dined on that for years.
All pro surfers suck no more worshipping from me even Slater turned out to be a prick.

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 10:39pm

Pattern seems to be with colgate kids reading above, maybe a goldcoast thing? Some of the next generation are faring better, I surf in lineups with Jack Robinson from time to time and he is polite, doesnt need to snake or drop in and still gets the best waves. Goes to Hawaii and rips and gets set waves. Best surfer on the planet in the making. keep it up Robbo.

rooftop's picture
rooftop's picture
rooftop Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 12:12am

Nicely said, Wharfjunkie.

The only time I've ever had things get nasty in the lineup was one time when a little rat kept dropping in on me so I decided to return the favour. He took a higher line than expected, I had a face full of offshore, and next thing I know we collided. He came up frothing, saying I had knocked one of his fins out. His mates paddled over and were giving me a hard time, demanding I pay for it, and threatening violence. A close call in the car park on the way out and that was that. Didn't surf there again for a little while.

Although my actions were probably justifiable, the result was not. It needlessly escalated things and probably only gave him more reason to think that I was in the wrong. Plus, let's face it, he could have lost an eye instead of a fin.

On the other hand, whenever I've been out in the surf and people loudly and publicly call out snakers and drop-iners (there must be a better word) it usually puts them in their place. By doing it overtly you put the group on your side and the perpetrators feel everyone's judgment.

It's interesting to see how other sporting codes enforce good behaviour. AFL and rugby players have pretty strong clauses governing behaviour on and off the field. There's a financial interest to keep players as good family role models, because they need to get families to games and kids to Auskick and so on. So big fines and media shaming are employed to keep them for the most part in their place.

As surfing grows, it is entering a new era, one of growing popularity, political correctness, OHS and constant filming and internet scrutiny. And while we all arc up here and have a good whinge, I can't imagine DM ending up on the back cover of the paper for being an arsehole in the lineup.

Only when pro surfers' bad behaviour starts to cost their sponsors money will they start to turn the screws on them. At the moment if pros act like pricks in the lineup will it stop any one of a million Joe Bloggs from buying their boardies today? Nope. The only time anyone is incentivised to punish bad behaviour is during competitions because the WSL cares about its squeaky clean image. Oakbongcurl does not.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 1:55am

nice little story there rooftop, it always amazes me that when these self chosen ones do drop in, and you make the wave behind them or get a little close when it finally closes out, that they have the gaul to give you shit, the sense of entitlement and mob mentality is astounding.

interesting your point about professionalism too. for a sport that is currently desperately spruiking it's 'professional athletes' to such a degree its nauseating, these guys are behaving anything but. and all this from the sport that likes to think it has so much soul, and rates itself as special. the soul and special has been plundered and sodomised to such a degree it's now the cheapest slut on the block.

some good suggestions for a bit of mob self correcting, especially the paddle out and social media shaming, good ideas. ideally people would just call them out and drop in, but as discussed, both these take an oozing amount of confidence taking it to them on' their' turf. sticking together and backing each other is key, but not so easy amongst the rowdy rabble. I reckon initiating and joining a low long sustained booo from a chorus of many might give them the hint needed, and psyche them out a bit in the process. much easier to initiate and coordinate the rabble too, maybe a little out of favour of late, but anyone can easilly join in on a good booo, it's almost instintive, as the not so gracious booo examples of late have shown, once it's going it's easier to booo than not to booo.

rooftop's picture
rooftop's picture
rooftop Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 1:49am

Hmmm... Could work.

Either that or a sniper up on the headland with a paintball gun.