Need Essential Wetsuits

Dyldo83's picture
Dyldo83 started the topic in Saturday, 26 Dec 2015 at 12:09pm

So just ordered a wettie from these guys, have read nothing but positive reviews and was wondering if anyone here would like to add their thoughts? And how long after ordering did the wetsuit arrive at your door? Any replies would be appreciated!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 26 Dec 2015 at 5:19pm

Got some boardies from Need good value super comfy look to be well made, delivered in a few days
cant comment on the wetties ...im a back zip only wearer.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 26 Dec 2015 at 8:06pm

I got the boardies and the wetty.

Wetty got here in three days or so, fits perfect, warm as. So on that level great value.
See how we go for durability ......I'm happy to get two full seasons out of a wetty with a third/fourth as a backup/fishing wetty.

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters Saturday, 26 Dec 2015 at 9:14pm

About a week to WA I think. Maybe a bit less even

surfing-cronulla's picture
surfing-cronulla Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 7:53am
freeride76 wrote:

I got the boardies and the wetty.

Wetty got here in three days or so, fits perfect, warm as. So on that level great value.
See how we go for durability ......I'm happy to get two full seasons out of a wetty with a third/fourth as a backup/fishing wetty.

Just checking them out. Find their size chart strange. Small says 5'6" - 5'11" that's 5 inches variant in height! Medium on the other hand is 5'10" - 6'1" again odd. 5'8" - 5'11" is usually a Medium.
Being 5'10" at 68 kg I take a Medium in most brands. What would you suggest in 4/3 from NEED Essentials?

NEED size chart: http://www.needessentials.com/#!size-chart/c1sfj

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 8:24am

I'm 5'10" 74 klicks and the M fits perfect, maybe contact the guy direct?

mackdog's picture
mackdog's picture
mackdog Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 10:42am

I've worn a large size in Rip Curl and Billabong and just got a 3/2 need steamer and jacket. Both fit well. I'm 6'1 and 86kg.

mackdog's picture
mackdog's picture
mackdog Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 10:44am

Just saw on their Instagram they now do Medium Tall size as well

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 2:15pm

Udo, back zip only.. you've got to get into the chest zips, you'll never look back!

surfstarved's picture
surfstarved's picture
surfstarved Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 2:34pm

I have the 3-2 steamer, size M. It's my go-to wettie for summer, while my 5-3 O'Neill is going to be kept in storage for when it gets cold again.

Size-wise, it's a fair bit tighter than the O'Neill, which admittedly is MT (medium-tall), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think if I lost a bit of the paunch it'll fit perfectly and be a bit easier to get into and out of. As to durability, I can't comment yet because I only got it about a month ago. In terms of delivery, it took three days to get to SA.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 2:57pm
mackdog wrote:

Just saw on their Instagram they now do Medium Tall size as well

Woohooo!!! So wish they'd do a 2/2mm long armed steamer. 3/2 with sealed seams etc is just too warm in QLD winter. How do you find the 3/2 steamer Steve? Not too warm?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 28 Dec 2015 at 7:23pm

Never knew about this company till I saw this thread, just got excited about the 5/4 hood XL- out of stock. Bummer.

$260 for a 5 mm, how could you go wrong even if it only lasted one or two seasons.

Edit: Just checked out their gloves and booties too- out of stock. They don't seem to be real big on the coldwater gear, but in fairness being summer down there...... Anyway, if the stuff comes in might grab it and mothball till next season, looks pretty decent.

surfing-cronulla Tuesday, 29 Dec 2015 at 6:43am
freeride76 wrote:

I'm 5'10" 74 klicks and the M fits perfect, maybe contact the guy direct?

Found where he lists his phone so seems best idea. Txt my details so he can get an idea then no pressure.

From your details sounds like pretty standard Medium, aways were a bit loose on my legs but chest/arms was always fine. I swear some brands use Tom Carrol or Occy for Med leg templates ... or Popeye!!!

surfing-cronulla Friday, 12 Jan 2018 at 8:18pm

Damn 5/4mm $220 ALL out of stock too. Well that sucks.

Thing is I always "mothball" and only buy out of season ... or from UK. Got Xcel Infiniti X2 C/Z 5/4 $240 AUD landed at front door 12 months ago their previous UK end of Winter sale ... but getting harder and harder plus the "£" has dropped since then. Unlikely we'll see this again as it is getting harder and harder as they are closing down this option 'Not Available Australia" popping up more and more.

zenagain wrote:

Never knew about this company till I saw this thread, just got excited about the 5/4 hood XL- out of stock. Bummer.

$260 for a 5 mm, how could you go wrong even if it only lasted one or two seasons.

Edit: Just checked out their gloves and booties too- out of stock. They don't seem to be real big on the coldwater gear, but in fairness being summer down there...... Anyway, if the stuff comes in might grab it and mothball till next season, looks pretty decent.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 29 Dec 2015 at 10:09am

Don, I got the 2mm long arm springy which is perfect for here.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 29 Dec 2015 at 10:49am

I don't have the 'not available Australia' problem and paying in Yen even with postage makes buying from the UK pretty reasonable. Door to door I can have a new wettie within about 10 days and half the price of Oz even for the same suit.

I do like the looks of the NEED essentails though and I always said I'd be happy to buy Australian if the quality and price was right.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Tuesday, 29 Dec 2015 at 10:58am

Nice work Scanno .

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 29 Dec 2015 at 1:41pm

no boardies left, I guess we just made it through Christmas.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Tuesday, 29 Dec 2015 at 1:51pm
freeride76 wrote:

Thanks Steve. With dodgy knees I need long legs to keep them warm.

surfing-cronulla Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 7:42am
donweather wrote:
freeride76 wrote:

Thanks Steve. With dodgy knees I need long legs to keep them warm.

A must and supports knees essential now. Short sleeve long leg Springy right through Summer now, 40°C or not. Long gone the sunburnt calves! The "2mm" are thinner and stretchier these days and find dropping to a Medium Small these days really does the trick.

pointy's picture
pointy's picture
pointy Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 10:34am

my deliveries all took about 2-3 days (to Wollongong)

i'm 6'0' and 77kg and the medium 4/3 and jacket and size 30 boardies are all great fits

If they are out of stock, just send them an email and ask to be told when stock is in, they'll email you when they have the goods

Dyldo83's picture
Dyldo83's picture
Dyldo83 Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016 at 12:48pm

Im still waiting for my gear, but in fairness there have been a few public holidays in the mix. Will let you guys know when it arrives and my initial thoughts on the product.

Dyldo83's picture
Dyldo83's picture
Dyldo83 Thursday, 7 Jan 2016 at 7:08pm

Received my wettie today, looks great, but as it goes no swell forecast for the next week! Will give a review when i can.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 7 Jan 2016 at 7:10pm

Looks great, hows the fit ?

Dyldo83's picture
Dyldo83's picture
Dyldo83 Thursday, 7 Jan 2016 at 8:41pm

40 degrees in perth so wasnt game too squeeze in, will try it on later

Dyldo83's picture
Dyldo83's picture
Dyldo83 Thursday, 7 Jan 2016 at 10:29pm

Ok, the suit fits great.... but ive never worn a chest zip and getting in and out was a bloody nightmare!!! I had a semi anxiety attack trying to get the thing off, stressing i had to cut my way outta a new suit. Who has any tips on getting in and out? Watched a few vids but they all show different ways!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 7 Jan 2016 at 11:16pm

Takes practice but start by pulling down and expose the left shoulder. Then grab the arm around about level with your elbow and pull down more, you can usually pull down your left cuff too so it's over your left hand. Keep inching your sleeve down till it feels like it's prety tight but not enough to tear. With your right hand go back up and pull the rest of the suit off your shoulder down as far as it will go. Then grab the belly part and hips part with both hands and pull that down. Essentially you're just inching it down and it kind of creates a downward pulling force with the elasticity of the suit. Your left arm and shoulder should come out pretty easily.

By then you should feel the force pulling down on your right shoulder, get your thumb under the suit near your collarbone, fingers outside and pull out and off your right shoulder, by then you should be free (hopefully).

I wish I could explain it more clearly but that's how I do it and I hated chest zippers until I worked out how to get out of one.

Also, when putting it on, grab the hip area from inside with both hands, kind of give it a shake to pull the hips up into the suit and put your left then right leg in and pull it up that way. Works well.

Good luck.

ps put a plastic bag on your foot and slip it through the leg of the suit. Slides straight on through. Repeat with your other leg and you can even do it with your hands too.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Friday, 8 Jan 2016 at 8:47am

I agree with Zen, just takes practice and is a right bastard after 2 hours paddling against the Kirra sweep when your arms a noodles lol

Dyldo83's picture
Dyldo83's picture
Dyldo83 Friday, 8 Jan 2016 at 10:20am

Wow thanks Zen, put it on and off this morning, and while it was a bit of work i did it on my lonesome. I assume it will be a bit harder wet, but i think with a bit if practise ill be sweet. Thanks for the advice!

sarge4's picture
sarge4's picture
sarge4 Friday, 8 Jan 2016 at 12:34pm

Anyone in the 6'2 and 92kg size bracket purchased on of these suits. looking for a size comparison. Usually wear XL Rip Curls. I'm getting conflicting reports around fit
Thanks

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 8 Jan 2016 at 1:35pm
Dyldo83 wrote:

Ok, the suit fits great.... but ive never worn a chest zip and getting in and out was a bloody nightmare!!! I had a semi anxiety attack trying to get the thing off, stressing i had to cut my way outta a new suit. Who has any tips on getting in and out? Watched a few vids but they all show different ways!

No no no no no
left leg in - right leg in -pull up suit - left arm in - right arm in - reach behind and gently pull up BACK zip
total time 20 seconds......he he ,but gonna have to convert .....back zips are starting to get hard to find.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 8 Jan 2016 at 1:43pm

I agree, this is my first chest zip and the thing I hate most about the suit.
Even though I'm *(sort of) used it now, I'll still much, much prefer a backzip.

Who the fuck needs that wrestle after surfing for two hours? And I don't like the feeling of the zip across the front of my shoulders.

If you're reading Mr Need, backzip please.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 8 Jan 2016 at 1:53pm
freeride76 wrote:

I agree, this is my first chest zip and the thing I hate most about the suit.
Even though I'm *(sort of) used it now, I'll still much, much prefer a backzip.

Who the fuck needs that wrestle after surfing for two hours? And I don't like the feeling of the zip across the front of my shoulders.

If you're reading Mr Need, backzip please.

I agree Steve....bastard to get out of after a long session, but bugger me they're brilliant at stopping those cold flushes so I'm more than happy to live with the end hassles if I can stay in the water longer/warmer.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 8 Jan 2016 at 1:58pm

Need did a few sample 3x2 BZ steamers ...but decided not to go ahead with them,so he has the patterns ...yeh please Ryan backzips there's gotta be a couple of thousand of us that want.
Those cold flushes down the back...I have a Quik 2x2 bz with the 1mm back flap ,sorts that problem.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 8 Jan 2016 at 2:08pm

Getting in/out of chest zips are a piece of piss once you work out the method.

Now I've got a zipless RC and I tell you, that's a struggle!

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 8 Jan 2016 at 2:18pm
Craig wrote:

Getting in/out of chest zips are a piece of piss once you work out the method.

Now I've got a zipless RC and I tell you, that's a struggle!

Now getting in a zipless just reminds me way too much of stepping into a large condom!! :)

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 8 Jan 2016 at 3:08pm

jeez give me a back zip any day,so easy ,over the chest zip struggle,and anyway a well made back zip really dosent leak.I bought a needs steamer and while i think its good value couldnt stand going thru the drama of getting it on and worse when your tired trying to get out of it...went and bought a back zip again...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 22 Jan 2016 at 8:38pm

For you vicco boys Need have a popup store open this weekend in Torquay

2 Baines crt Torquay.

VICLB's picture
VICLB's picture
VICLB Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 6:43pm

guys in Vic has anyone used their 4/3 through winter? looks ok price amazing but notice outer seams not glued.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 8:58pm

? outer seams not glued......taped ,glued and stitched aren't they ?

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 9:05pm

Yeah, taped, glued and stitched. 4/3 was fine through the vic winter. Used it in tassie during winter too and did the job.

VICLB's picture
VICLB's picture
VICLB Monday, 25 Jan 2016 at 8:44am

thanks carperman.... that sounds good.

Balance's picture
Balance's picture
Balance Tuesday, 26 Jan 2016 at 5:38pm

I only found chest zips a struggle for a month or two, until they seem to stretch a bit...and getting out of them easier than getting in them...

dont ever get my hand caught in the strap when getting to my feet

find they are warmer, dont leak as much

having long hair sux with back zips,always get hair caught in the zip

Chest zips for me

I like the look of the needs gear. Do they have plans to add a thermalskin suit, or similar, to the list?

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Tuesday, 9 Feb 2016 at 8:41pm
sarge4 wrote:

Anyone in the 6'2 and 92kg size bracket purchased on of these suits. looking for a size comparison. Usually wear XL Rip Curls. I'm getting conflicting reports around fit
Thanks

I'm 6'1 87kgs. My last wetsuit was large Rip Curl. Bought the Need 3/2 wettie, feels a fraction smaller, but only barely. Order the XL. Exchanging sizes if need be is not a problem from what I've heard

KoNG's picture
KoNG's picture
KoNG Thursday, 10 Mar 2016 at 3:39pm
mcsc wrote:

I'm 6'1 87kgs. My last wetsuit was large Rip Curl. Bought the Need 3/2 wettie, feels a fraction smaller, but only barely.

mcsc, i'm right on the cusp of the medium and large (for weight) at 84kg. I'm just under 6'0 at about 182cm)
when I was closer to 90kg I was definitely a RC large.
About to pull the trigger on the L/S Springy and going off your recent purchase and the "slightly smaller" comment, i'm thinking that I should still go a Large in the Need.... if they are running a little smaller than RC then I think Medium will just be too small.

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Thursday, 10 Mar 2016 at 4:21pm

Kong, if it helps at all, when I said 'slightly smaller' it's because I'm lanky. So Needs large size feels spot on for me (medium or medium-tall would definitely been too small). It was at length of wrist and ankle that was most noticable, slightly shorter then large Rip Curl.

Again, I wouldn't be too worried about it, as I've heard from mates who have had no problems exchanging sizes from Need Essentials

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 10 Mar 2016 at 4:44pm

Give Ryan a ph call before you order..always very helpful.

mcsc's picture
mcsc's picture
mcsc Thursday, 10 Mar 2016 at 4:47pm
udo wrote:

Give Ryan a ph call before you order..always very helpful.

Back 100 %

Purplepills's picture
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills Thursday, 10 Mar 2016 at 4:48pm

Kong go the M. Ryan's a legend gave me a 3/2 for 90 bucks. Suck that rip curl.

KoNG's picture
KoNG's picture
KoNG Thursday, 10 Mar 2016 at 4:56pm

Thanks Lads,
emailed Ryan and he replied that being on the border he would go with the Large in this instance.
So i'll order that and see how I go i guess.
Will post back stats and fit details to help other in future

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 10 Mar 2016 at 4:58pm

Easy to exchange with Need......just try it on - Don't surf in it.