Surf Art Painting for Sale.

davywayback's picture
davywayback started the topic in Tuesday, 1 Dec 2015 at 9:29am

Extra special price for Swellnet members. Here's the link to view my painting and all my works :
http://bluethumb.com.au/david-simmons/Artwork/subsurface

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 1 Dec 2015 at 11:44am

Nice work there Dave.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Tuesday, 1 Dec 2015 at 2:39pm

Thanks stunet. These days I'm in my studio 24/7 either recording, practicing or painting. There's really no more waves to speak of where I live. Its completely changed and its too long ride on my motorbike for a surf and always far too crowded. But I have to go for a late arvo swim health wise. Sometimes there's windblown slop that I try to do something with, but it's just not worth it, in fact it just makes things worse. I love surfing. I think the only way is boat trips Bali etc, whenever I might be able to afford it.
I've sworn not to surf slop anymore.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 1 Dec 2015 at 5:08pm

Great stuff Dave, very versatile artwork!
Not sure what the visibility is like where you are but do/have you incorporated a mask and snorkel into your afternoon swims?
The meditation of breathing up and pushing your time underwater is a great routine and challenge, plus you usually get to see some great stuff, even if it's just checking out some shells, sand patterns or just sun rays through the water.
And of course you can do this most places, surf or not.
Just don't do it in a public pool in Innsbruck, they get really weird when they see you swimming along the bottom. Actually, same in London. Maybe stick to the ocean!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 1 Dec 2015 at 5:11pm

By the way, would love those fish as stained glass.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Tuesday, 1 Dec 2015 at 7:17pm

Hi Andy M. And thank you too !
Hey, might even make a stained glass window on that one as you've suggested .
Re the visibility at local beaches : ' bout the only thing that you'd get a clear look at " subsurface " at local metropolitan beaches might be Coke cans, cadavers, dead cats, used syringes ....that kinda stuff. So I've never actually tried the mask snorkel thing. I use to live in a beautiful Southern coastal town for 5 years.
Crystal clear water , fantastic surf, deserted beaches with great waves. I did go diving when I was living down there. Might just jump on a coach and get back down there this summer. Cheers !

mothart's picture
mothart's picture
mothart Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 10:25am

Like the variety in your work.
If the surf isn't doing it for you, have you thought about moving?

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 11:58am

Hi mothart. Sure have. Since my 20s I've been relocating a lot. We've spoken about it, but my wife and I would have a lot of very stressful upheaval to endure, and all that goes with moving house. In practical sense with the absence of surf, of course the move makes absolute sense. Maybe in a year or so. But equally, at this stage of our lives its a very daunting decision to think about. We are established now in our beautiful home - it definitely is " home ". I've had unforgettable times surfing late 60s through the 70's. These days its more just a relaxing fun thing to do. When I can. I'm not quite so full into it as once I was. But still love it just as much as I always have. I'm looking into getting over to the East coast next year for a few surf trips up the coast. That might do if I can manage it a few times a year.

mothart's picture
mothart's picture
mothart Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 2:29pm

Fair enough DavyWB, wouldn't mind going for a look over East as well.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 3:38pm

A secret mothart : .... S. A. Get it ? ...closer to home and cheaper - great surf ! check it out YouTube !

mothart's picture
mothart's picture
mothart Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 6:23pm

I think I get it DavyWB.., you're in WA?

I don't have to check the SA surf on You Tube.., I live there.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 7:02pm

Yes. Looks really good in SA. I'm making some enquiries cheap flights , Coaches etc, accommodation / coastal parks , beach caravan parks / on site tents , cottages etc . Any suggests ?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 9:24pm

You've got some skills there Dave.

Ever been inspired to splash down some turquoise like those south coast beaches you described ?

mothart's picture
mothart's picture
mothart Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 9:40pm

There are many surf zones in SA, Davy. Could send you To West Beach caravan park, but that would be cruel... I'm pretty scarred from that 'surf' zone.
Think I can guess the zone you want to go, and you are going to want a car.., no houses or caravan parks near the waves (not walking distance anyway), most towns tucked away in sheltered bays.
There are exceptions to this, but I'll let you work that one out.
SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 9:47pm

Thanks indeed Blowin. Inspired ? - definitely always. I used to have mid week surfs alone.
Turquoise it was .Crystal clear water. The small deserted beach was at the base of a huge cliff. Fresh water streams ran down from the steep hills and cliffs right onto the beach - into the ocean . I could drink it as it ran across the beach sand as a small stream - beautiful. I have some photos of it I took back then. I'll see if I can upload them. .. Not sure how to do that ? I'll check out the Forum FAQ.
While I'm reminiscing , right hand points you could count on one hand over here - if that. There was only one about an hour's drive east from the town I lived in. It rarely catches swell because its got to be big enough for the swell to get right into the bay. I scored it on with only other 2 guys out.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 9:52pm
mothart wrote:

There are many surf zones in SA, Davy. Could send you To West Beach caravan park, but that would be cruel... I'm pretty scarred from that 'surf' zone.
Think I can guess the zone you want to go, and you are going to want a car.., no houses or caravan parks near the waves (not walking distance anyway), most towns tucked away in sheltered bays.
There are exceptions to this, but I'll let you work that one out.
SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND

...Damn right. I'm finding out fare costs etc. The whole area looks really good to me. I rang a small SA mid coast surf shop today to ask a few questions. Very helpful. Seems there's plenty of options. I think this'll be the best way to go for me.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 10:21pm

Hope these uploaded Ok. That's me at one of the spots I used to surf. The only 2 people there that day was an America couple who took the photos. It was a small day - but really nice.
South Coast 1.jpg
South Coast 3..jpg
South Coast 2.jpg

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 10:22pm

deleted.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 10:23pm

South Coast 1.jpg

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 10:25pm

Maybe try again Dave.

mothart's picture
mothart's picture
mothart Wednesday, 2 Dec 2015 at 10:37pm

If you make it to 'Yorkes' Davy, check out Studio surf in Marion Bay.
Miff has set up a gallery with his own & other artist work for sale, all surf/ocean related.
It's a pretty cool set up.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Thursday, 3 Dec 2015 at 8:45am
Blowin wrote:

Maybe try again Dave.

Yeh, All I did was try to copy and paste - can't be right obviously. I can't see a Swellnet support tab or FAQ.
I'm working' on it.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Thursday, 3 Dec 2015 at 8:45am

deleted

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Thursday, 3 Dec 2015 at 8:51am
mothart wrote:

If you make it to 'Yorkes' Davy, check out Studio surf in Marion Bay.
Miff has set up a gallery with his own & other artist work for sale, all surf/ocean related.
It's a pretty cool set up.

Will do - sounds good . Thanks for that. I'll Google the gallery. They may have a website.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Thursday, 3 Dec 2015 at 9:23pm

Surf artist Jason 'Miff' Swales new art gallery Studio Surf is really cool and has some interesting stuff in there.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Thursday, 3 Dec 2015 at 10:13pm

Hi Yorkessurfer. Just emailed Jason this morning after looking at the website. Gallery looks real nice.
Any chance you might be able to give me a how to on how to upload photos to the forum like you've done here ? I can't figure to out.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Thursday, 3 Dec 2015 at 10:57pm

I use a website called imgur(google it) on my iPhone to upload pics. On a desktop computer the process might be different but here goes. On the main screen you click on the little cloud shaped icon in the top right of the page. It then prompts you to get the phone app but I just ignore it and close that message as I found it harder to use.

An 'upload from device' icon then appears which allows you to choose a picture from your phones photo library or album. You choose the picture that you want and hit 'done'. This leads to a screen with a blue 'upload' icon. Once you hit this the picture you've chosen uploads and will appear on the screen.

Now on the left hand side of the page you will see a pill shaped icon with the green arrow pointing down that will give you different options when you hit it. One of them is called the 'bb code'. Pick this one. It basically changes the codes that appear next to it(eg. [img]http://imgur.com....) so it will work when you add it onto your comment on Swellnet.

Now you pick this code and hit copy. When you get back to the Swellnet message box you paste this code where you want the image to be. It won't appear as an image until you post the comment but the image will appear where you paste the code.

Sorry if this is confusing but I've done my best to explain it. If your doing it on your home computer see if you can follow a similar process and get it too work? Good luck!

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Friday, 4 Dec 2015 at 8:56am

Clear as a bell Yorkessurfer. Here goes, and thanks. Check out the photos if I manage to do this as per your
how 2. Thanks !

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Sunday, 6 Dec 2015 at 11:35am

Hope this works. One of the South Coast spots I used to surf. This would've been around 1992. This spot a bit more well known but on this mid week Spring day I had it all to myself all day . The only other 2 people that were there were an American couple who took this photo. That's me standing on the beach. They introduced themselves to me after I'd had a surf , and told me they'd taken some photos. They gave me their Email address and when I emailed them back they kindly sent me the photos. Double click on the link :

(img)http://i.imgur.com/SHQU4kf.jpg(/img)

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Sunday, 6 Dec 2015 at 11:31am

deleted

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Sunday, 6 Dec 2015 at 11:45am

Heres davy's image. Not sure what went wrong dave but it looks like the (img) should be [img]. When you select the 'bb code' imgur should automatically do this for you? Anyway........

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 6 Dec 2015 at 12:10pm

Hows the rolling slabs of granite ...???? off the hill in the back ground. "Coastal Creations"!
What an awesome little bay ;)

BTW cool art Davey, keep it up.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Sunday, 6 Dec 2015 at 5:16pm
yorkessurfer wrote:

Heres davy's image. Not sure what went wrong dave but it looks like the (img) should be [img]. When you select the 'bb code' imgur should automatically do this for you? Anyway........

yorkessurffer . Thanks. Your and Graig's help greatly appreciated. Yes you're right , I didn't think I had those symbols on my keyboard, but just found them silly me. I'll have another go at a couple of favourite photos of mine now and this time I'll use the right symbols.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Sunday, 6 Dec 2015 at 5:25pm
wellymon wrote:

Hows the rolling slabs of granite ...???? off the hill in the back ground. "Coastal Creations"!
What an awesome little bay ;)

BTW cool art Davey, keep it up.

Hi wellymon, and thank you. You guys are inspiring me to do more.
There's lots of bays like this where I lived. Many of them at quite different angles to the swell direction, and some further " inland " than others, if you know what I mean, lots of inlets etc , so that of course effects how often they break. But just the location far South gets the Southerly swell at its biggest first.
I'm kickin' myself for leaving that part of the world.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 6 Dec 2015 at 8:53pm
davywayback wrote:
yorkessurfer wrote:

yorkessurffer . Thanks. Your and Graig's help greatly appreciated. Yes you're right , I didn't think I had those symbols on my keyboard, but just found them silly me. I'll have another go at a couple of favourite photos of mine now and this time I'll use the right symbols.

Don't use them all up in a hurry Davey, save them for a special time;)

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Sunday, 6 Dec 2015 at 9:49pm

Good thinkin' '99. ( to quote the old " Get Smart " TV shows. .... Will do !