Hilux or other 4x4

monkeyonboard's picture
monkeyonboard started the topic in Wednesday, 2 Sep 2015 at 9:08pm

what is good & bad about them, any other good utes & 4x4

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 5:00am

Petrol or diesel, whats your reason for a 4x4 , beach work or serious HD offroad stuff.....or Toorak tractor ?

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 6:22am

I have a petrol prado/ auto , great in the sand.

Next one will be a manual, can't push start or tow an auto(without dramas)

If you don't really need a 4x4 don't get one, running costs are high, they are a light truck.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 6:31am

For work or play?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 10:30am

Had a 2007(?) & 2011 Hilux dual cab ute with a tray ( I don't like the style side ute for practical reasons). A little light with no load in the back, but good for around the property, towing and general light 4WDing. I liked them and may look at getting another when i'm in the market for one.
Had a Nissan Patrol wagon, late 90's model, 3L TD, didn't like it. Lacked power, especially on the highway, and 4WDing. That's just me, I know others that love them.
I have a 2005, 100 series Landcruiser TD wagon and to me nothing comes close to it, whether its towing, 4WDing, highway driving, can't go past it in my eyes. You get what you pay for.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 10:55am

I've got a 2006 Prado Grande (3L turbo diesel), and it's unreal for long road trips - super comfortable for the family and handles the road really well. Haven't done much 4WD'ing in it yet but looking to get set up in the next few months. 

monkeyonboard's picture
monkeyonboard's picture
monkeyonboard Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 11:00am

Would rather diesel. nothing to serious, just the beach and what not

keegz's picture
keegz's picture
keegz Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 12:10pm

Honestly if its just for the beach you could easily get away with a 4x4 or AWD wagon (think mitsubishi or subaroo).

If you want something that is a bit nicer and dont mind paying for fuel look at a v8 landcruiser. Hilux are extremely under specced for their price and have been running off their toyota reputation for far too long. When you see patrols or other serious 4x4s getting towed home from the bush usually landcruisers towing there sorry arses home haha.

If your after more of a plastic fantastic I only seem to hear good things about the new series of Mazda Bt50. Stay clear from ford rangers as so many issues with their electrics.

Not an advert for landcruisers and dont own one myself (im driving a very tired navara) but am saving the pennies for one when this old girl eventually dies.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 12:56pm

I had a Subaru for quite a few years and I reckon they're the best option for beach running. Great cars for getting around town too. I just enjoy the space and elevation of the Prado for highway driving.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 1:30pm

I'll second that on the Subaru. I've had my Outback for six years and it is by far the most reliable car I've ever owned. I get the oil changed twice a year and have it dealer serviced at the required intervals. The only thing wrong in that time is I needed a new battery a year or so ago. Not bad on fuel for an AWD, safe comfortable and reasonably competent off road with the extra height.

And if you get up the mountains, they are exceptional in the snow.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 2:00pm

My ultimate dream surf/adventure car is a new v8 turbo diesel troopy wagon. Ahhh one day....

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 2:59pm
zenagain wrote:

And if you get up the mountains, they are exceptional in the snow.

All dependant on driver though ;) Have seen/been in one sliding into a snow bank. Haha

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 3:17pm

Mr Zen having his first seniors moment.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 5:02pm

That was embarrassing. Still amazed the airbags didn't go off;)

Have to try harder this season 'eh Craig?

(nah- lesson learnt)

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 5:38pm

Subaru's and sand, your joking aren't you? pulling them out on a regular basis, just not enough clearance for sand.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 7:14pm

Best 'value for money' 4x4 is the Mitsubishi Triton ... on road, drive away "real" 4wd (i.e. transfer case for hi and low 4wd + decent clearance) for around $27k (for runout MN model) ... learn all about them here: www.newtriton.net (FWIW, I have no affiliation with that website and you need to register to see the forum but it's all free) ... I am however a Triton owner :) and can attest to genuine fuel economy of high 8's / 100km for general mixed use driving.

That said, our 2002 RAV4 has been all over Fraser and Moreton ;) and it gets around 10 / 100km for the same mixed used driving.

Some believe auto is the go for sand work, but manual's give you more control ... most find in heavy sand the auto doing the slip in out shuffle between gears and transmission overheating. With a manual you can also clutch start them, and drive them without a clutch if they fail.

Diesel is the go for water crossing.

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 7:36pm

Would be wary of tritons as somebody said earlier you get what you pay for, mate currently has one sitting in dealership who's trying to wash their hands clean of $8000 worth of problems. He's not the only one... Toyota, Isuzu, Nissan to an extent are solid but do your research and you will see which makes have the unhappy customers.

Don't buy based on warranty they will all try and get out of any claim. If your looking 2nd hand don't buy any ex mine vehicle, Salesman will say anything to get you to purchase check the logbook look at where and when the services have been completed if you have your doubts walk away theirs plenty more on the market.

Manual gearboxes in most new 4x4's have dual mass flywheels, weak as piss and pricey to fix if their is any vibration in in the clutch walk away its a 2k+ job. Put the handbrake on and slowly release the clutch till you find the release point, if it's high or any abnormal vibration walk away their is no adjusting these clutches i guarantee it will fuck out first time you put it under any real stress.

Good luck and remember you get what you pay for.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 3 Sep 2015 at 9:16pm

I've had Hilux s for almost twenty years.

Great cars. Nice and light for the beach with good rust proofing.

Got to be diesel and manual. Tray back, not well body.

I've got a 2006 Troopy for sale if you're keen- 170,000 kms . Set up with bed in the back.

You can buy my entire travelling set up if you want to - including tinny with outboard.

You will love it.

I do, I just never drive the thing.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Friday, 4 Sep 2015 at 5:53am
rees0 wrote:

Would be wary of tritons as somebody said earlier you get what you pay for, mate currently has one sitting in dealership who's trying to wash their hands clean of $8000 worth of problems. He's not the only one... Toyota, Isuzu, Nissan to an extent are solid but do your research and you will see which makes have the unhappy customers.

Don't buy based on warranty they will all try and get out of any claim. If your looking 2nd hand don't buy any ex mine vehicle, Salesman will say anything to get you to purchase check the logbook look at where and when the services have been completed if you have your doubts walk away theirs plenty more on the market.

Manual gearboxes in most new 4x4's have dual mass flywheels, weak as piss and pricey to fix if their is any vibration in in the clutch walk away its a 2k+ job. Put the handbrake on and slowly release the clutch till you find the release point, if it's high or any abnormal vibration walk away their is no adjusting these clutches i guarantee it will fuck out first time you put it under any real stress.

Good luck and remember you get what you pay for.

Hey rees0, tell ya mate to get onto the forum on that newtriton.net website. It will be an issue with the dealer, not Mitsi Australia - MMA have honoured genuine warranty issues. And, FWIW, I owned a 2010 MN and traded in at the 5yr mark for a 2015 MN. I knew the vehicle and was confident in MMA would back up if any warranty issue. It's the sh1t dealers that are causing the issues.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 4 Sep 2015 at 6:37am

If you are looking for a Hilux for travelling check out this link as an example of what you can get, all the rental companies do it ....

http://www.apollorvsales.com.au/campervan-details.aspx?id=1273&c=1

Ex rentals are always well serviced and mostly driven by cashed up tourists worried about their bond money.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Friday, 4 Sep 2015 at 7:26am

The only problem I have heard with the rentals is the cashed up tourists are always in a hurry to make the most of their time and most of the trucks working life is going flat chat. I would compare it to a delivery van as it carries a big load all the time. I think most people pay the extra so they don't have to worry about the bond, nice looking rigs though.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 4 Sep 2015 at 10:07am

Rentals.....I wouldn't touch them. I don't know anyone that hasn't used them rally driving around bush tracks and beaches valve bouncing till they're ready to blow up.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 4 Sep 2015 at 10:08am

fitzroy-21 wrote:

Rentals.....I wouldn't touch them. I don't know anyone that hasn't used them rally driving around bush tracks and beaches valve bouncing till they're ready to blow up.

So I'm not the only one then?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 13 Sep 2015 at 4:20pm

Always had Cruisers when I needed 4wd, HJ60 was unbustable. Favourite on sand was Auto FJ73, the mid wheelbase fibreglass roof 70 series. It was unstoppable on sand, with grunt and could rev more than the diesel. I'd probably go Tojo again if needed something heavy duty to just work and work and work... Now we are in more bitumenised area, so many AWD wagons out there that can carry a surf or snowboard, handle well, be comfortable and do the snow roads.

Of course, running a big Cruiser isn't cheap and the best 4wd is the one your mate owns, that you tip in fuel money for on a surf mission!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 13 Sep 2015 at 4:52pm

Rentals- no chance I'd ever buy one.

Ever heard the saying - " Nothing drives like a rental ".....

Mine site vehicles, I'd have no drama with. Depending on the site of course.

Salt works ? No thanks.

Iron ore or caustic ridden sites ? Probably not.

LPG ( considered mine site for some reason ) . Definitely. Low KMs , often overseen driving conditions. Well serviced and maintained.

There's going to be a shitload of ex commercial vehicles for sale in the next couple of years. As long as you can establish the locality and form of work you could grab yourself a real bargain.

Especially in WA and the Territory where things aren't going to run too hot economically speaking.