New surfbrand

fuzz's picture
fuzz started the topic in Tuesday, 4 Aug 2015 at 9:14pm

I'm starting a new surfbrand.Can anyone tell me how I can reach fellow surfers and tell them about it?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 6:26am

Aside from spamming forums, you could always take out some advertising on Swellnet. 

thebeard's picture
thebeard's picture
thebeard Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 11:52am

"Fellow surfers" indicates you're a surfer yourself. So being part of your target market, you only have to think about what media you use to gather information or make decisions to purchase. But do we really need another surf brand? IMHO We need more surf, less brand.

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 3:54pm

Any other constructive ideas on how to market our new brand would be appreciated.I definetly don't want to spam forums hence not mentioning the name,website etc.I would love for this to take off and would like to know what people think about the brand,just don't know how to reach the right target.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 4:10pm

Have you thought about recycled materials, sustainable production, and really, really expensive price tags?

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 4:19pm

I'm also bald but can't surf anywhere as well as that well known 11 times champ,my brand is the opposite,very cheap,no recycled products,very sustainable production(me),I just would love to get some feedback on it,if I mention the website here I may be banned????

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 4:26pm

Ahh...drop the name but not the link.

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 4:35pm

heaving

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 4:50pm

Pay google to increase your search results.

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 4:53pm

Do you mean by using Adwords?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 5:02pm

What are you selling?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 5:21pm

FFS Fuzz spit it out man !

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 5:27pm

Alright, here we go.

http://www.heaving.com.au

Do you only have four t-shirts on offer?

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 5:27pm

I'm selling t shirts with my logo 'heaving' go to www.heaving.com.au and there will be other designs coming up to summer!

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 5:33pm

Yes at the moment,I just started this about a month ago,but plan much more coming up,I need to get it out there,can you help?

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 5:36pm

I love to surf and by no means am I a ripper or Hellman, just one wave each session keeps me coming back, this brand is another interest of mine and would love to see it grow

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 6:13pm

No need to be a ripper or a hellman in order to create something worthwhile.

So, time to expand a little. What is the story behind the brand? The website is a little light on info. What sets you apart from other brands? Why should people buy your clothes instead of another one?

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 6:23pm

Might be stating the obvious fuzz but social media is your entry level marketing tool, I see your already on facebook, as small business you could also try to tap into other small business using twitter, Instagram etc. Doesn't necessarily need to be all surf related, most entrepreneurial types will be happy to spread the word if you do likewise. You might be surprised how many people are going it alone on a small budget meaning word of mouth is key. A physical presence also helps so try markets and independent shops (again doesn't have to be surf related) to get your wares on display. Pretty crowded market your getting into with plenty of people (surfers) over the surf brand idea so be clear on your point of difference and your target market. Feedback wise don't listen to your friends and family particularly if they are saying how cool it looks. Personally i like your logo and your price point seems reasonable, hope your working hard on expanding your product range. Good luck.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 6:31pm

Fuzzy, your 'about us ' section tells us nothing ?

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 6:48pm

Thanks heaps for your feedback and advice,I really do appreciate any advice,it's great and really helps me.I am going to improve my 'about us' page.Thanks for that tip, I wasn't going to add personal stuff but maybe I will.We want to be a different brand,one people will remember and like.Its a journey I've just started, hopefully it will a good one, I am determined to give this a good crack, thanks for your advice.Feel free to post anything about this, thanks again.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 7:25pm

Fuck, I can't help myself...

OK, so he has a Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/HeavingIndustries?_rdr=p ), so I guess upnorth he is already onto the social media thing? He does have 317 "likes" ... And well, give him credit he now also has 'google' search cred with links from swellnet to his website, and now his facebook page (it's ok , you can thank me with a free shirt)

Agreed udo, the 'about us' says nothing.

OK, some idea's ...

1. Your price point is wrong for the 'brand' you have ... is the price based off the cost plus a margin? You need to create value in the brand, so think in terms of a story, perception feeling or vibe you want for your brand ... then price accordingly.

2. What about setting up a campaign for shark attack victims, or donate x% of all sales to one? Create a community value around your brand linked with recent "surf" events.

3. Website - oh dear, too much logo at the top of each page, not enough 'story'. People need, want, to connect in some way with the brand. As a new brand, you need to give them more than a huge logo on a website. Oh and your need WAY more contact info - you need people to trust you / your brand so need a street address and a phone number.

4. Have your facebook, twitter, instagram etc. feeds and posts on your website - simple plug ins can do that for nix ... that way, everything links together and you got ongoing content for your website. Have a look at a few of the pro surfers websites for ideas :)

Again, you can thank me with a free shirt ;)

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 7:48pm

Thanks for your comments wing nut,contact me via
the heaving website and I will send you a tee( as long as you help me out with advice and wear the tee heaps)thanks mate

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 8:04pm

Oh, yeah ... what about us fat fella's ... where are the XL sized shirts!

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 8:05pm
fuzz wrote:

Thanks for your comments wing nut,contact me via
the heaving website and I will send you a tee( as long as you help me out with advice and wear the tee heaps)thanks mate

Facebook instead :)

Balance's picture
Balance's picture
Balance Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 9:20pm

Good luck to you fuzz

and some cool advice wingnut...I learnt a lot reading that...then I took a look through your site...

I actually wanted to see a photo of you in there but, for some reason...i think it was that talk about wanting to connect...or maybe I just wanted to see how big your ears really are!

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 10:48pm
wingnut2443 wrote:

Fuck, I can't help myself...

OK, so he has a Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/HeavingIndustries?_rdr=p ), so I guess upnorth he is already onto the social media thing? He does have 317 "likes" ... And well, give him credit he now also has 'google' search cred with links from swellnet to his website, and now his facebook page (it's ok , you can thank me with a free shirt)

Agreed udo, the 'about us' says nothing.

OK, some idea's ...

1. Your price point is wrong for the 'brand' you have ... is the price based off the cost plus a margin? You need to create value in the brand, so think in terms of a story, perception feeling or vibe you want for your brand ... then price accordingly.

2. What about setting up a campaign for shark attack victims, or donate x% of all sales to one? Create a community value around your brand linked with recent "surf" events.

3. Website - oh dear, too much logo at the top of each page, not enough 'story'. People need, want, to connect in some way with the brand. As a new brand, you need to give them more than a huge logo on a website. Oh and your need WAY more contact info - you need people to trust you / your brand so need a street address and a phone number.

4. Have your facebook, twitter, instagram etc. feeds and posts on your website - simple plug ins can do that for nix ... that way, everything links together and you got ongoing content for your website. Have a look at a few of the pro surfers websites for ideas :)

Again, you can thank me with a free shirt ;)

I did mention he was already on facebook but no sign of other links to social media on his site. Personally I find twitter the most useful, easy to connect with other small businesses and customers who reciprocate whereas farming likes on facebook can be harder initially although he's doing well so far. There are also start up and small business hubs on twitter who at certain times of the day will retweet something you post, some of the ones I use have 30k+ followers, can't argue with that sort of exposure and I get a fair bit of business through them, gratis.
The site is a work in progress but the young feel of it matches the price point in my opinion, could be cheaper of course but still pretty reasonable I think. A blog keeping people up to speed with the progress of the new venture might be a good idea, will get people involved feeling part of the brand and is a way to create a presence on google while keeping your site up to date.
Do I get a free t shirt? If you post one to the UK your instantly global : )

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 11:24pm
wingnut2443 wrote:

come on wing nut, we know its an xxl- notice to consumers, dont take this serious.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 6 Aug 2015 at 6:13am
davetherave wrote:
wingnut2443 wrote:

come on wing nut, we know its an xxl- notice to consumers, dont take this serious.

Steady on Dave... It's winter warmth, mate!

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Thursday, 6 Aug 2015 at 7:18am

Hey Fuzz, take anything I say with a grain of salt as my attempt at launching my product was bit of a flop, I can't even afford labels or website anymore. Having said that I am happy where I am.

First up like wingnut says your website is bland, every page you go to has the same logo, nothing different and you need to scroll down to see anything different(annoying).

All your really selling is a logo, as far as I can tell your selling me cheap imported shirts that have your logo printed on them. Do you print it or is it done overseas? You need to tell me why I should buy, superior material, stitching ect.

Finally my pet hate and it's probably only me so don't take it to seriously. You say on your facebook page you are "Australian based" does that mean your an aussie and that's a good reason to buy off of you, or are you a Korean national on a student visa with an Australian bank account?
Good luck.

Balance's picture
Balance's picture
Balance Thursday, 6 Aug 2015 at 7:37am

I tell you the best example I can think of, of all this...is that Carmans muesli bars...check out their website and products

I think I wanted to marry that founder after the first bite

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Thursday, 6 Aug 2015 at 8:19am

Hey Fuzz,its coming on summer,get into the singlets cause its hard to find a good singlet.!

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Thursday, 6 Aug 2015 at 3:11pm

Thanks crusty for your comments,will take it on board.Just to clarify mate, I am 100% aussie born and bred with English and Scottish heritage.My design is printed right here in Australia with tees sourced from overseas, the quality of cotton is good,190gsm and i actually went to my local printer to check the quality before I started.Most surfwear companies and for that matter most other retailers use overseas clothing,it's just too expensive here in Oz and that's a sad but true fact,I wish it were different,so to produce something with bit of return it has to be that way.I think my tees are cheap in comparison to other well known brands, I know I'm not even known but would like to be and when or if I become popular my prices will remain cheaper.Thanks

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Sunday, 9 Aug 2015 at 10:54am

https://www.facebook.com/HeavingIndustries?_rdr=p what do people think of the name and logo?Are people looking for more designs?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 9 Aug 2015 at 4:53pm

I think your logo is cool. Simple but certainly conveys the ocean and waves.

Good luck with it mate.

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Sunday, 9 Aug 2015 at 5:35pm

Thanks zenagain!

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 4:08pm

Was it heaving anywhere today?

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 5:28pm

Quality surely needs to be a high point... anyone over 30 would remember that surf tees back in the day had a thicker material, double and triple stitched seems... you could wear em to work, swim in em, leave em in the back of ya ute then wash em a week later and they looked like new... were pre shrunk when you got em so you couldn't kill em in the dryer and would last for years if you treated em nice...
New surf tees shrink, fall apart, have less stitching than my last reef cut and look like shit after 3 months

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 6:01pm

tees printed in OZ,made OS like everything else,but good quality cotton 190 gsm(good thickness, the lower the gsm the lighter the tee).

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 6:46pm

First off, be prepared for a long, hard slog to get any footing in the game, if at all.

Second, take some business improvement studies if your seriously serious in making this more than just a garage business.

Check out Godspeed Fashion...the guy who started this is a mate of mine. He started screen printing shirts under his house as a hobby 15 yrs ago in little old Falcon, WA. I won't go into what really got him going cause that would be giving away his secret to success...suffice to say it had to do with educating himself in the tricks of the fashion trade through a business improvement program....ask the right questions, listen to the answers and success will hopefully follow.

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 7:22pm

Thanks for your advice ttippergreenfeet,mate all advice,constructive criticism is welcomed,this is a new journey for me and I enjoy the comments and criticism, feel free to talk with me anytime and your advice is appreciated,thanks.I would love to talk to your mate,that would be fantastic,thanks again.

trippergreenfeet Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 7:56pm

Fuzz, I'm sure Shane would be happy to give you some tips...he's an approachable bloke. Contact him via his facebook page or the godspeed website.

Something i should have mentioned...find books on Lean Manufacturing or Lean Thinking, they'll start you on the right path to success...don't bother with any that delve too much into the Six Sigma side of things, that'll just do ya head in and you're a world away from that shit right now.

I spent a few years in business improvement working for Newcrest, a lot of the lean principles cross over to small business.

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 8:05pm

Thanks Trippergreenfeet,thanks a lot

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Thursday, 13 Aug 2015 at 5:05pm

One standout wave a session,that's all I need, heaving....

bigleft's picture
bigleft's picture
bigleft Thursday, 13 Aug 2015 at 6:10pm

Hey fuzz like the idea behind it... Are you using gildan tees as the blanks? Just looks like them on your site, and have u had them retagged/labelled?

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Thursday, 13 Aug 2015 at 6:36pm

Not using Gildan, using colours of cotton,haven't rebranded tag yet,haven't got up to that yet,do you know where,how to retag?

bigleft's picture
bigleft's picture
bigleft Friday, 14 Aug 2015 at 11:00am

Nice, JBs go well, how is the softness on them? Haven't tried them myself but they say they are ringspun so am curious :) umm there's lots of places especially if you are based in Vic/around Melbourne, I'm in perth and most of our local screen printers will do it... Have u asked the place you are getting them printed whether they do it? Usually costs and extra $2 or so

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Friday, 14 Aug 2015 at 8:45pm

JB quality is good , will enquire about tags,thanks bigleft

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Saturday, 15 Aug 2015 at 3:13pm

checkout heavings new websitehttp://www.heaving.com.au/

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Tuesday, 18 Aug 2015 at 7:06pm

Any new advice for http://www.heaving.com.au?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 21 Aug 2015 at 6:37pm

fuzz, you also need some attractive females modeling your tshirts.

fuzz's picture
fuzz's picture
fuzz Tuesday, 25 Aug 2015 at 5:49am

Now that's not a bad idea, to show off the new designs coming soon.