Accommodation in Rote

Anto's picture
Anto started the topic in Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 11:48am

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Rote next year for the early season (March-April). I'll be travelling with the wife and our young daughter and have been looking at places to stay in Nambarella and Boa.

Does anyone knows of a mid-range place to stay orund this area? The Tland resort and Malole surf house are both well over $300/night for both of us which is way over our budget. would probably pay up to $200/night...

Any ideas are welcome1

Cheers,
Antonio

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 11 Jun 2015 at 8:03pm

/

CouplaFunOnes's picture
CouplaFunOnes's picture
CouplaFunOnes Friday, 12 Jun 2015 at 7:38am

I was going to have a look at this place when I head over later in the year, we got quoted AU$180/room/night.
http://www.boavidarote.com/

spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey Friday, 12 Jun 2015 at 8:45am

Lualemba Rote,maybe a bit on the budget side for You but its well run and clean,Run by an aussie Dave and his Indo Wife Janet,good people.Its on the facebook.Early season can be fickle around these parts.

Anto's picture
Anto's picture
Anto Friday, 12 Jun 2015 at 12:17pm

Yes Coupla, I saw that place and sent an enquiry but have had no reply in about a week, looks like a pretty nice place hopefully they are active

Thanks for that spider. I guess you always have to be a bit lucky outside of the main season. T-land seems to pick up a lot of swell so it will probably depend more on the winds...

Cheers guys!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 12 Jun 2015 at 6:24pm

Anugerah is by far the best value. Clean well organised and right in front of the reef. 'Mus and the family are great local people and know the area better than anyone. Dave and Janet's place is fine too. Give this guy in Kupang a call before you get there and he will line the whole deal up for you, ferry tickets accommodation in Nemberala and Kupang itself. Local legend with the best Aussie accent you have heard in a while
Dominggus
+6281339355530

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Saturday, 13 Jun 2015 at 2:50pm

Hey BB, does Dave and Janet have a website? And are they next door to Anugerah?
Cheers Ash

spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey Saturday, 13 Jun 2015 at 5:48pm

Daves Place is Lualemba Rote They on face book and also have website.Its back a bit from the beach but not to far to walk.

spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey Saturday, 13 Jun 2015 at 5:54pm

Also in Kupang a good place to hang is La Avalon heaps of info and cold bintangs,Edwin,the Owner,is a cool Cat!!He named the place after Little Av in Sydney,Ha ha.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 14 Jun 2015 at 8:00pm

Great ikat in that whole area if you are into it. Well worth taking a trip up into the hills in Timor and getting out to some of the lesser known islands if you can.

Anto's picture
Anto's picture
Anto Monday, 15 Jun 2015 at 11:10am

Thanks very much for all the info guys!
I'm looking forward to it but is still so far away.....

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Monday, 15 Jun 2015 at 11:41am

Cheers spidermonkey, there's a couple next door to Moose's that have rooms but I can't find a website. Hotel Kristal in Kupang was beyond anything I thought was there, just luck that we got booked in, shit it was 1st class and empty, bar 3 blokes from WA on their way to work on some island 15 hours by boat away.

spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey Monday, 15 Jun 2015 at 6:51pm

Not sure Ash mabe Its Deano and Sharons new place Villa Santai Rote

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Tuesday, 16 Jun 2015 at 11:20am

Yep, that's them, I remember his name now, I'll search for Villa S R, thanks again

deanmaster's picture
deanmaster's picture
deanmaster Tuesday, 14 Jul 2015 at 9:22am

Hi Anto, email address for Villa Santai is [email protected] they can give you the run down of the place which is right in front of the waves

Anto's picture
Anto's picture
Anto Tuesday, 14 Jul 2015 at 11:54am

Cheers Dean. the place looks good

Boogie woogie's picture
Boogie woogie's picture
Boogie woogie Friday, 17 Jul 2015 at 2:47pm

Me and the missus stayed with dean and Shaz for 2 weeks about a month ago compared to what's around its bloody good value for what you pay , the place is spottless clean and the food is top shelf , plenty of it too , great hosts, allready booked in for next year ,

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 17 Jul 2015 at 5:30pm

Ssshhh!

Figjam's picture
Figjam's picture
Figjam Friday, 17 Jul 2015 at 9:05pm

I have stayed at most of the places in Rote over the last 20 years and have settled on Villa Santai for the past 3. The owners really care about making sure I am happy and well fed. I brought my wife and two young girls this year and this place can't be beat for the price. Our guest house is brand new and the food is amazing! It's right on the beach, in front of the wave, and they are even adding a pool later on this year. You can't go wrong staying here. And oh yeah, the boat is awesome and will go anywhere quick (time to go fishing!) Cheers!

aquaturd's picture
aquaturd's picture
aquaturd Saturday, 18 Jul 2015 at 3:00pm

This place is worth checking out - http://www.surfrote.com/

Blackie73's picture
Blackie73's picture
Blackie73 Sunday, 19 Jul 2015 at 10:28am

Stayed @ Villa Santai in May. It was incredible, Deano and Shaz are amazing hosts, they take care of every detail and all your personal needs. The vibe is awesome, food is out of this world, rooms are top quality, clean and exactly what you would expect from a stylish boutique villa. Positioned straight in front of the surf, you never miss a moment and the crew will whip you out to any spot in their 25ft centre console with twin 40's on the back. Deano also had our bikes ready for us on arrival and every small detail was taken care of. We stayed in the Ocean Villa, which was a beautifully arranged room, there is also a Garden Villa. We had so much fun that we have booked again next year.
PS: The Beers are cold and the GTs at sunset go down fantastic!!!!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 19 Jul 2015 at 11:04am

Blackie, whats the daily rate Per person, are boat trips and tucker all inclusive ??

Craw's picture
Craw's picture
Craw Monday, 20 Jul 2015 at 9:47pm

I have stayed with Deano & Shaz at Villa Santai twice now over the last 3 years, I wouldn't stay anywhere else now when I'm down there. Great Hosts, Great Food and right in front of Tland. I've already booked for Sept this year.

deanmaster's picture
deanmaster's picture
deanmaster Friday, 24 Jul 2015 at 12:10pm

Villa Santai are currently in the building process of the third bungalow ,it will accommodate a couple,single or two surfers .
The nightly rates vary depending on the guests requirements and which bungalow they request.for all rate inquiries contact [email protected]

All guests staying at the villa irrespective of their nightly rate have all meals included

Villa Santai face book page has more information Villa Santai Rote Island Indonesia

Website will be online soon

Keep on surfing

deanmaster's picture
deanmaster's picture
deanmaster Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 3:29pm

Villa Santai website is now live at < surfroteisland.com > face book page Villa Santai Rote Island Indonesia jump on and have a look.

deanmaster's picture
deanmaster's picture
deanmaster Saturday, 1 Aug 2015 at 10:45am

Any one wanting to come to surf Rote Island can now fly from Bali on Garuda Indonesia and can connect with Wings air to Rote on the same day ,ticket price is approximately Rp 250 000 and they charge Rp200 000 per board . great option if you don't have much time up your sleeve. plane flies 3 times a week at this stage Sat, Tue and Thursday .

deanmaster's picture
deanmaster's picture

Any one wanting to come to surf Rote Island can now fly from Bali on Garuda Indonesia and can connect with Wings air to Rote on the same day ,ticket price is approximately Rp 250 000 and they charge Rp200 000 per board . great option if you don't have much time up your sleeve. plane flies 3 times a week at this stage Sat, Tue and Thursday .

deanmaster's picture
deanmaster's picture

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 1 Aug 2015 at 12:10pm

Hi Dean,just to clarify this, how much in aus dollars cause the flight is only 50000 rp more than the board?

Balance's picture
Balance's picture
Balance Saturday, 1 Aug 2015 at 12:29pm
simba wrote:

Hi Dean,just to clarify this, how much in aus dollars cause the flight is only 50000 rp more than the board?

you can pretty much just knock off 4 zeros, that works out accurate enough...so yep, its about 5 bucks more

deanmaster's picture
deanmaster's picture
deanmaster Saturday, 1 Aug 2015 at 3:37pm

Hi Simba yes mate i know it makes no sense at all but I myself have caught the plane a few times and have always paid this price Balance is right $1 ozzy is approx Rp10000

the fast ferry when it runs is only about $5 less and it means you need to stay over night in Kupang on the way down to the island , how ever on the return trip to Kupang from Rote you will need to spend 1 night
I can highly recommend the Hotel Lahacienda,very well run and extremely clean ,its very close to the airport

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 1 Aug 2015 at 4:35pm

Thanks Dean for clearing that up,funny how they do stuff in Indo.

deanmaster's picture
deanmaster's picture
deanmaster Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 7:49am

Villa Santai Nemberala will have an addition of a third bungalow ready for 2016 anyone interested in accommodation costs can contact the villa direct at [email protected] or view the website at
www.surfroteisland.com

The word has it that Wings air are considering daily flights to Rote Island from Kupang starting in August 2015
This will be good if your considering surfing T-Land

Balance's picture
Balance's picture
Balance Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 2:07pm
deanmaster wrote:

Villa Santai Nemberala will have an addition of a third bungalow ready for 2016 anyone interested in accommodation costs can contact the villa direct at [email protected] or view the website at
www.surfroteisland.com

The word has it that Wings air are considering daily flights to Rote Island from Kupang starting in August 2015
This will be good if your considering surfing T-Land

nice website...but I still cant find any info on the cost of staying there...sorry...I am probably not looking in the right place

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 2:42pm

I'll take a guess of $250 per night .

Shatner&#039;sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 4:01pm
deanmaster wrote:

Just to clarify...is that per board or boardbag?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 4:11pm

Per Board

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 5:22pm

Sheesh, so they do the old open up your board-bag and count 'em palaver? or usual Indonesian can't be arsed? Lucky dip at the baggage counter?

deanmaster's picture
deanmaster's picture
deanmaster Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 8:39pm

udo your guess is wrong ,if people want to know the cost of staying at villa santai ,they need to contact [email protected] and they will supply all details relating to accommodation rates .

It depends on what the proposed guests require as to what the nightly rates are.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 8:46pm

Fair enough if that's the way you do it, what about the board cost is it per board or boardbag ?

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 8:47pm
Shatner'sBassoon wrote:

Sheesh, so they do the old open up your board-bag and count 'em palaver? or usual Indonesian can't be arsed? Lucky dip at the baggage counter?

The old Indonesian 'depends on the day' usually.

deanmaster's picture
deanmaster's picture
deanmaster Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 8:52pm

Yes they open up your board bag ,the best thing to do is fill your board bag with as much shit as you can because they don't weigh it .you can only check in 10kg of luggage,anything over that they charge RP 12000 per kilo .

On another note anyone coming to Nemberela and wanting some surf shots, there really is only man on the seen worth talking to, Danny Balelang Nick named Danny Tattoo his mobile number is 085239314274 he is is a local Indo and takes amazing photos, he also can fix your board .

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 5 Aug 2015 at 9:14pm

So what's the head count out there at low tide these days? It's a fun wave and it can hold a few but given there are few other options when the trades kick in, it's a long way to go to surf a 3ft left with thirty other people!

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Thursday, 6 Aug 2015 at 6:53am

A few of the boys from here went there last year and came back saying it was fairly crowded generally some saying they would get more waves at home.

deanmaster's picture
deanmaster's picture
deanmaster Saturday, 8 Aug 2015 at 9:55am

Some days there can be 25 guys out but if the swell is running its not a problem getting waves as there are 3 different take off spots over 200 meters . there are generally no brazos surfing Nemberala so the vibe in the water is mellow .definitely not crowded like the ments or Bali

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Saturday, 8 Aug 2015 at 7:06pm

Indo is always changing. I've seen Rote with just a handful of blokes there in the season with a head high swell. Fun waves, made worth it due to low crowds. I've also surfed it on days with 40 blokes in the water and only managed to get two okay waves in a 4 hour session - constant snaking, hassling, stinkeye and drop ins, and then the odd gem going through unridden while we all fought it out on the inside. I'd get more waves at the Pass! I reckon it's about to go through a popular period - lots of blokes have been telling their mates it's uncrowded for the last few years. A few years later word will spread that it's a crowded, poor man's G Land and it will lose it's appeal. Or, it continues to develop the villa scene and lots of semi-locals move and the 30 bloke crowd becomes the new norm. Either way, Timor is a great part of the world and it's often worth just ignoring crowd numbers and trying to enjoy your life.

There were probably 250 blokes spread between Ulus, Bingin, Balangan and Impossibles the other day on a shoulder high swell. It was a truly devastating sight - but I had a great arvo talking shop with some Ulu vets and having a coffee. During the times you can't get to the lesser known spots, it's worth adopting the attitude of a traveller that surfs than simply a travelling surfer. Keeps me sane at least (most of the time).

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 8 Aug 2015 at 7:19pm

That was out of control Dandandan .

Great day to park up at a warung and watch the carnage unfold though.

Still nice getting a seafood nasi goreng and a tall Bintang and people watching too.

So many Italians.....

I saw a group of ten attempting to decide by committee which section to surf.

Hilarious.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Saturday, 8 Aug 2015 at 8:52pm

Yeah it was mental. There'd have to be a lot of blokes coming in from a surf at Ulus sometimes not having caught a single wave.

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Sunday, 9 Aug 2015 at 6:22am

does " captain shipwreck" still park his charter boat out at t-land for the whole of his 2 week charters like he used to.
that was always fun for his clients.

not that theres any waves on the islands or any where else around there that are better and uncrowded or any thing. honestly . ive checked. trust me.

deanmaster's picture
deanmaster's picture
deanmaster Sunday, 9 Aug 2015 at 10:50am

eat-your -vegies you obviously didn't look to hard mate, there are plenty of waves around the islands and on Rote you just need a good guide to put you onto them when they are firing, a good boat is the key unfortunately the lower end accommodation don't have boats to get you to the other spots they only take you to T-Land.
Captain Gary and most of the other charter boats don't come to Rote anymore because they have to pay an over night fee to anchor their boats here.

The accommodations that are on Rote all pay tax for their guests to to the Rote Ndao government which has been a god send for the local community ,as the local infrastructure ha improved greatly over the last 5 years there is a good sealed road now from Baa to Nemberala , 3g internet and 24 hour power is only months away from being up and running.there is now a full time doctor in town and many job opportunities have been created in the tourist industry and the staff that work for the villas earn way above the award wages set down by the local government ,which intern is allowing their kids to Finnish school and go onto uni where before most kids were lucky to Finnish primary school .
as for the charter boats they contributed all most nothing to the local economy they only took waves off the land crabs

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 9 Aug 2015 at 11:12am

Pretty sure Eat Your Vegies was being sarcastic Deanmaster.

Charter boats may not contribute much to the local economy , but the neutrality of their presence isn't always a bad thing.

They don't distort the local property prices or displace local villages for a start.